Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will Dublin be like in 10 years time- any different?

• 02-08-2005 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

What will Dublin/Ireland be like in 10 years time ; any different?
    Bigger, better, uglier, friendlier...cheaper, well maybe!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Look at what it was like 10 years ago.... LOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

If I could tell what Dublin, or anywhere, would be like in ten years. I'd be loaded.

ROLL UP, ROLL UP, LUMP IN FUTURE TELLING SHOCKER!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

it will be even more expensive, but i plan to be loaded by then so i won't care,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Coolésin

I'd imagine there would be a noticable increase in the ammount of Asians in Dublin,it's said that by around 2050 dublin will be around 50/50 with Irish and other nationalities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭She-Ra

At the rate its goin i'd say it'd be doin well to have 50% Irish ppl in it still!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I predict that within 10 years, Dublin will be twice as big, 10,000 times more ethnically diverse, and so expensive to live in that only the five richest kings of Europe will own property here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It will be very different and the rate of difference will accelerate. It will be different in too many ways to discuss properly here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Dublin7

I think it will be:

- nicer: oconnell st will be finsihed hopefully, new Ilac Centre...
    - cleaner: it cant be worse.
    - handier: better transports, less cars in town (port tunnel...hopefully)

Well I've only been living here for 2 years and it has improved a lot already (luas, quays, IFSC, Dundrum shopping Centre, Roches...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'd like to see St. Stephen's Green mounted on stilts... but.. like.. cyber stilts or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I'd like to see St. Stephen's Green mounted on stilts... but.. like.. cyber stilts or something.
    I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭madfistbt

Cool&#233 wrote: »
    I'd imagine there would be a noticable increase in the ammount of Asians in Dublin,it's said that by around 2050 dublin will be around 50/50 with Irish and other nationalities

I dont get it, If this is gonna happen which I wont be suprised by does it mean that Dublin will double in population (Its already overpopulated) or Irish people will just stop making babies or there will just be a load of mixed race people? (but you dont see many mixed raced babies now). Also how will foreigners afford to live here? Surely we can only let a certain amount in ...... But then look at London!! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

It will be 10 years worse then it is now. EMIGRATE, do what our fathers and grandfathers did. Then they'll learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

madfistbt wrote:
    But then look at London!! LOL

Thats crazy talk, london is 15times bigger then dublin. Cannot compare, dublin is a village compared to london, compared to most cities actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

More cranes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

it'll definatly be more ethnically diverse and the foreign people will start talking like dubs... it'll be the same otherwise i'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

God only know what things will be like if this new trend of trying to throw up apartments in any ol' bit of spare ground they can see, wouldn't surprise me then that transport goes to the dogs with it being overcrowded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

grimloch wrote:
    God only know what things will be like if this new trend of trying to throw up apartments in any ol' bit of spare ground they can see, wouldn't surprise me then that transport goes to the dogs with it being overcrowded.

How can anyone suggest Dublin is overcrowded? It has a ridiculously low population density. And the total population is tiny too for a capital city. The city may be chaotic, but certainly not overcrowded - there is a big difference.

Transport is crap exactly because it's not overcrowded. It's so spread out that there isn't the concentration of people which is condusive to quality public transport.

Developing high density apartments on spare space (brown field sites clost to the centre) will result in greatly improved transport.

If the population of Dublin was to double but within it's current boundaries, things would actually get better, as the necessary infrastructure for a proper city would then be worth developing.

I hope we're well on the way in 10 years time, with infrastructure ahead of growth, rather than behind. Unfortunately this will take some vision and there are few politicians I can think of with that as an attribute :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I would imagine that the space would be developed and then the transport etc. would be lagging behind, comparable to some parts of Tallaght a few years back.

For instance there was a fair bit of talk about new apartments and so forth on the 46A bus route, It's sometimes full by Stillorgan where they were proposing putting a few thousand more people in apartments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pe-pa-po

dublin in 10 years willl encompass all of leinster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

madfistbt wrote:
    I dont get it, If this is gonna happen which I wont be suprised by does it mean that Dublin will double in population (Its already overpopulated)

Dublin has a pretty low density of people so It's not over populated.
    dublin 7 wrote:
    cleaner: it cant be worse.
    Were you about in the 80's? Dublin is so much cleaner than it was so tust me when I say it could be worse a lot worse.

I reackon a lot of the family homes in the estates near the city will be split into seperate flats as parents die and kids inherit property decide to rent it out rather than sell it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 The Fish

Cool&#233 wrote: »

Not likely given the huge influx of black and Asians into the UK has only resulted in them making up around 5% of the UK's total population - that's black and Asians combined! I know there are a lot of other nationalities in the UK, but these two groups make up the largest numbers by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 The Fish

Hopefully Dublin will have an extensive and (relatively) cheap metro. It's ridiculous that Dublin doesn't haver even a couple of lines. It might take a little more than 10 years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

10 years really isn't that long away! It will certainly be a better place than it is now.

For the city centre anyway...

The Interconnector will be up and running giving us a much better integrated rail system.
    Bigger and improved tram network.
    DARTs till 3AM!!! :D
    All the ugly innercity crap will gradualy be converted to higher density, expensive apartments/offices.
    There will be a handfull of highrise towers here and there. It's only recently that our first ever skyscraper (Heuston Gate) has been granted planning permission.
    Much more ethnic diversity.

Dublin7 wrote:
    - nicer: oconnell st will be finsihed hopefully, new Ilac Centre...

The street will be finished next year. Then they will begin work on Westmorland street banning cars, widening footpaths and building the LUAS. Parnell Square is also getting a massive overhall soon. In general the whole city centre will be a lot more pedestrian friendly and it will be easier to get around on public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

In 10 years time there will be more non-nationals in this country than Irish people - FACT.

It's sad isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

In 10 years time there will be more non-nationals in this country than Irish people - FACT.

It's sad isn't it.

Can you quote your source for this fact?

If it's true, the only reason could be that Dublin is a wonderful place, so no, I don't think it's sad at all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭jamescrombie

Emmm its a scary thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Its also complete bull****, unless immigration jumps to the tune of 400,000 or so a year its not going to happen. Its at about 50,000 a year now and that includes returning emmigrants (probably 10k+) and both students and temporary workers - who're both likely to go home within a set period of time.

http://www.migrationinformation.org/Profiles/print.cfm?ID=260 for figures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ABCDEFGHIJ

What the hell.... Irish are the same over there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I foresee many skyscrapers and high rise buildings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭madfistbt

The Fish wrote:
    Not likely given the huge influx of black and Asians into the UK has only resulted in them making up around 5% of the UK's total population - that's black and Asians combined! I know there are a lot of other nationalities in the UK, but these two groups make up the largest numbers by far.

I just googled this and the Uks ethnic population in 2001 was 7.9%, in England it was 9% this is said to have gone up to 10% now, with half of the ethnic poulation of England living in London making up just under 30% of the ethnic population. I presume this does not count the large numbers of Eastern Europeans or other white nationalities in England.

Remember we are taking about Dublin, not Ireland. If London is 30% I can not for the life of me see Dublin being more ethic than London, that in 10 years there will be more foreigners than Irish in IRELAND is absoultue bull****, I cant imagine places like Kerry having more foreigners than Irish!LOL :D.

Anyway who says we arent going to go into some mad recession, those facts are complete crap. And If there true well thats just wrong

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement