Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from DCU

Options
  • 02-08-2005 3:50pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    Could someone tell me why I'm banned from DCU?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Because you are an asshole? I see you are complaining about me modding punk again. Tell me, how have I offended you this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

dregin wrote:
    Hey,
    Attempting to bypass the profanity filter...??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

An asshole because I don't agree with the way mods are picked to run forums? You have absolutely nothing to do with anything being discussed in the punk forum. I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect someone who plays an active part in the forum to be the one running it.

Anyway. You haven't offended me. I know I got a bit aggressive drunk one night, but I apologized. The closest to offending me you've come is calling me an asshole just because I don't agree with the fact that mods are appointed to forums regardless of the wishes of the people who actually use that forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I'll sit my ban out as always. I dont have a probelm with that. However getting a bit of notification about a banning in PM would have actually being lovely isnted of having to log out and go searching through trying to find out why. In the few times I've banned someone ive always sent them a PM about it with the reason.

But also .. seriously. Being banned for a "yore ma" joke on boards. Little bit much, this is the home of yore ma anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

dregin wrote:

I banned you after reading the split thread there.

• Advertisement

I complained in the wrong place. The thread just seemed to be going that way.
    How long's the ban for?

I haven't even thought about it, it'll depend on how many more get banned and how this little brouhaha plays out.

I'm sorry I don't participate in such great discussions such as "Punk Trousers" and "Pop Pickers 15". Moderators aren't picked because they like the subject, which brings me to my point. What exactly do you know about me and my musical taste????

There's no need to be gettin personal about this. I didn't say anything about your musical taste. Your lack of participation in the forum speaks for itself.

No it doesn't, I barely post in any of the forums I moderate. Yet they are still moderated.

• Advertisement

I'm not getting into an endless circle on this. If a person doesn't post on a forum that is supposed to be about a certain topic I have every right to presume that they have no interest in that topic. I still haven't commented on your musical taste so I haven't a clue where exactly you're coming from with this.

Also, the only time you've been on topic in this thread is when you tried to tell me I was banned for being an asshole (a claim which you still haven't actually substantiated) in the first half of your first post.

So in this thread you've:
    a) Posted off topic
    b) Made personal attacks against me.

Both of these are bannable offenses. I think the fact that you haven't been banned for either of them does nothing but strengthen my original claim that it's who you know around here and nothing else.

dregin wrote:
    I'm not getting into an endless circle on this. If a person doesn't post on a forum that is supposed to be about a certain topic I have every right to presume that they have no interest in that topic. I still haven't commented on your musical taste so I haven't a clue where exactly you're coming from with this.

Also, the only time you've been on topic in this thread is when you tried to tell me I was banned for being an asshole (a claim which you still haven't actually substantiated) in the first half of your first post.

So in this thread you've:
    a) Posted off topic
    b) Made personal attacks against me.

Both of these are bannable offenses. I think the fact that you haven't been banned for either of them does nothing but strengthen my original claim that it's who you know around here and nothing else.

Lets dig up some pm's and some post history then to see if any of my claims are unsubstantiated?

I was posting about your ban and what may have lead up to it. The post that got you banned was in the thread in which you called my moderating into question.

I mod the forum as I would any other forum, if you don't like how I mod it (which has nothing to do with me posting by the way) feel free to complain.

And who I know?? HAHAHA! I doubt anyone on this site would know my first name without looking for it. I'm hardly first choice in anything around here, but I have contributed to boards and they do know I do a good job. Is that good enough for you? I don't see how a punk fan moderating a punk forum is going to make any difference, the same people will post there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Giblet wrote:
    I'm sorry I don't participate in such great discussions such as "Punk Trousers" and "Pop Pickers 15". Moderators aren't picked because they like the subject, which brings me to my point. What exactly do you know about me and my musical taste????
    To be fair, I don't post in the punk forum... nor do I care that it exists... I have no problem with Giblet as a moderator as I know he has a good interest in music in general...

The punk trousers thread was before there was a moderator, and was a big reason people really wanted a moderator... to stop stupid threads like that...

On topic... while I have no personal problem with spockety, a couple of his recent posts have called into question the way he moderates... one quote from him was along the lines of "I don't need to take a few minutes out of my life to justify a ban"

If he's not willing to take two minutes out of his life to explain why someone is banned that makes me question his ability as moderator...

In the thread in question I'm apoligise for saying we needed a moderator who's "in DCU"... at the time I was going on a couple of comments saying that he isn't even in DCU... I wasn't aware he was FINISHED in DCU and is still involved with it.

Anyway, I have no personal problem with spockety and think he can be a good moderator but some of his recent decisions have made me a little wary...

Btw could people not suggest to ecksor on IRC that I moderate the forum... you know who you are that suggested it... I don't want to moderate it as I barely ever visit it cos I'm not too much of a fan of the college I'm in...

I was going to say that the one post where I saw him say that was too long to be two minutes out of his life, but then his typing skills are legendary around DCU so perhaps it was just 2 minutes.

Either way, when people have full time jobs and are giving their time to facilitate a boards forum I can understand when being called into question for each separate decision can become very wearing. Of course, if you neglect to answer every question then people pounce on it and start demanding inquests and making accusations (which I tend to just let them do more and more nowadays).

If people thought that there's a problem then they should have talked to me privately or posted on this forum if they wanted to air it publically. Clogging up the DCU forum with it isn't the way to do things.

Advertisement