Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Transferring Emails?

• 02-08-2005 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

My parents have a whole pile of emails stored on a very old computer. they want to transfer them over to a newer computer. I'm conviced they should just delete them but they're emotionally attached to them or something. Some of them are from as far back as 1998. I have the two computers networked so i just need to get them out of Outlook Express so that I can transfer them over and then put them back into some other email software.

Does anyone now what the easiest way to do this is? There doesn't appear to be any option with Outlook Express to export to a file...

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

do a search in help on outlook on backing up your emails, you should get all the information you need there.

Outlook is a whoer of a program to back up from...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've always used IMAP for transfers, if I'm not already using it on my LAN. But then I nearly always have a mail server on my LAN. Still though, I'm sure there's a free trial of MDaemon or suchlike that could be used.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

you can copy directly from the old pc to the new. if pc has 95/98 look in: C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities

this folder contains at least one folder with a very long name
    eg: {AA4313A0-059C-11D9-B795-00C1261167DA} then go into the Microsoft folder and finally into Outlook Express the files in the outlook express folders are you emails, inbox, sent ect. copy the files throughty in to the same folders if 95 /98 but if 2000 / XP the folders are C:\Documents and Settings\Username

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Dun's link should take care of the job. Or any other reputable software should be able to import the thing.
    Baz_ wrote:
    Outlook is a whoer of a program to back up from...
    Outlook is remarkably easy to back up data from. Or restore to (it's the corruption possibility that is the major stumbling block to using that part of the Office suite).

Outlook Express (like Javascript, it really should have been given a different name as it sometimes confuses people) on the other hand requires some occasional jumping through the devil's hoops, cursing and wondering why the thing was used in the first place. Then again, though I'm not a fan of the simple "hey dude, use something else!" answer, given that there are many free reliable apps out there that don't have this particular handicap and given that Dun's answer should take care of the original query, I'd give people the same advice I do about putting whiskey in their corn flakes - don't start using it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement