Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Tax Return ?

Options
  • 02-08-2005 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Does anyone know what percentage of my Tax paid in Australia can I claim back ?
    I worked in IT for 3 years there and have just returned in Jan of this year.
    I've already claimed my super back (in which i was taxed another 4 k )
    Over the 3 years i've paid at least 40 k AUD$
    Cheers,
    Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

0%

Thats the way it works, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

ask taxback.com they might be able to give u good advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

drdre wrote:
    ask taxback.com they might be able to give u good advice
    I was there for a year and all I could get back was the pension payments. There was no tax refund at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I was there for a year too - while I was there got over $1000 back (that was working from April to June)!
    And waiting on my tax back for working from June - December (should be bout the same if my tax accountant over there is telling me the truth!)
    I tried lodging my tax return myself online at www.ato.gov.au and they told me I owed them money! But then went to a tax accountant in Sydney and she sorted it all out for me.
    As Drdre said contact taxback.com - or even if you looked up the white pages for a tax accountant over there and ask them to lodge your return - you need your PAYG though - but they are easily enough got.
    If I remember correctly it took approx a month for me to get my tax back fro mwhen I lodged my return

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Thanks for the help lads I'll let yee know how i get on ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Bond 007 - You're wrong. It depends on what you worked at and how much you earned. I worked as a programmer in Oz for 3 months and i got 3 grand back in tax plus my superannuation on top of that.

Taxback.com are a ripoff, you're better off contacting the Australian tax office directly or contacting an accountant.
    Muppetkiller, i have the name of an accountant in Sydney who sorted everything for me. They will email you the forms and you just post them back, they charge hardly anything - way cheaper than taxback. If you send me a private message i'll pass on the details.

Advertisement