Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bath Leaking

Options
  • 02-08-2005 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have a leak from underneath my bath. It appears to be leaking right where the plughole joins the bath, not any of the u bends or screw on joints.
    There doesn't seem to be a way of tightening the join.
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    Sealant or something?

Its a fibre glass bath btw.

Cheers,

C.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

There should be a U-bend which screws into the fixed plug of the bath, you could take this off and apply some plumbers mate (kinda like putty) to the thread part of the screw, then tighten again. Otherwise you can get a sealant in a DIY shop specifically for this, although I can't remember the name of it. Make sure it's dry when you apply and leave it for a while, may work. Another possible area where the leak is occurring is around the plug hole itself, so some sealant around that could stop it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Thanks for that.
    There's no leak from the u-bend/thread, it seems to be coming from the plughole itself.
    I've had a plumber out 3 times to try and fix various leaks. This one included.
    I reckon they were caused by a boiling immersion as i've had leaks from 4 different pipes, a couple i was able to fix myself.

*me goes off to woodies to get some sealant*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

If the trap was not lined up properly with the outlet the threads on the trap may have been damaged, being plastic they damage easily, that could give the appearance the oulet is leaking.

Might be worth a try before you begin your journey, looking at your location I'm sure you will find a real plumbing supplier in your area instead of paying top money for what may not work ;)

Thanks for the reply Pete.
    Just going to attach a picture to show it.
    Unless the water is running upwards i think it has to be join, not the thread part.

bath3zu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Very good photo, the fibreglass doesn't look too pretty the way the fibres are exposed around the outlet.

It looks like there is a washer missing where the connector meets with the bath, of course being an old timer I would be inclined to take it all apart and reset the outlet in the correct sealent then apply a little sealent around the connector before tightening it up.

I'm sure there are more experienced posters than me who can advise you better on this problem.

• Advertisement

Thanks Peter.
    I'm not adverse to doing a bit of diy but i think maybe i'll get a plumber in to do that
    Anyone know any good electricians in the Tallaght area btw?
    Need new thermostats on my immersion and to put a time witch on it. I haven't had the best of luck from the phone book.

Cheers.

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'd go the disassembly, reassembly route too. The standard of plumbing in some houses is only shocking, even with reputable builders. Seems to get rushed / botched on the basis that it'll be hidden and may not leak. Our house was plumbed by a 2nd year apprentice, I believe, and you'd know.

Advertisement