Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Confederacy Of Dunces?

Options
  • 02-08-2005 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Any good? Sounds brilliant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Absolutely brilliant book. One of the few that makes me laugh out loud. Even now, some of the scenes are stealing back into my head and making me smile. Ignatius J. Riley is a character that you're going to love to hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sterculelum

Oooh goody. I rarely laugh out loud at books myself. Adrian Mole a few years back, The Curious Incident, and American Psycho spring to mind though...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK, I thought that the Curious Incident of .. was a terrible book. I fail to understand how it received all the hype that it did. But that's my view.

I think that anyone who reads A Confederacy of Dunces, and fails to find humour in it should be shot!! Seriously. It's really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sterculelum

Hehe okay. Sounds good. I think I'll read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭doctor_gonzo

It's an absolutely fantastic story. Well worth the read!

The poor author had a terrible time of it. Couldn't get the book published anywhere, despite it being his life's work. He eventually ended up so depressed that he took his own life. His mother, after his death, finally succeeded in getting the manuscript published, where it went on to win a score of prizes. Very tragic stuff.

Despite all that, Confederacy is just hilarious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement