Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good/bad courses??

Options
  • 02-08-2005 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

ok,as i'm new to boards this year,apologies if i'm offending someone(ie halanger) setting up this thread.
    i just want to know what are the best courses are so that me and non-nevermores will know which courses we should consider.
    i understand if you want to wait til the evaluations come out before you say whether your course was good or not but please tell me!!
    thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

You've already done WFL and Chinese right? Same as me so you might like journalism. This is Niamh from Chinese btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Japanese and Theoretical Physics are both fantastic.Russian's not great, and discrete maths is ok. Can't really say much about CA as the instructoor changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭emptyspoon

I personally found Chinese this year extremely boring and repetitive. We did the same thing every day and there was no chance to discuss or ask the teacher anything about china. It was basically just six hour long language lessons EVERY single day.
    Did art design last year. Absolutely loved it. Nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

From my experience, Writing for Life was brilliantly unstructured, Art Design was so-so, Archaeology was... work, but fun at the same time, Japanese was the most entertaining class ever, and Spec. Fiction was an interesting sort of [strike]doss[/strike] class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Lizzie

i thought art design was excellent.
    i found advertising kind of boring and pointless, but that was last year and the instructor has changed.
    i agree with emily's opinion of spec fiction, it was interesting and fun and we had lots of discussions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Adesina

Med in the Lab is pretty good if you like science, but if you hate writing up experiments you'll probably hate much of the homework and you get a ****load of notes. The instructor is really sound as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Shiney

Economics bored me to death, some people said it was good though. The instructor was great.

The instructor for talk science (now 21st Century Science) has changed, so i think the course is a bit different

Psychology was good but overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 staaap

raphael:was theoretical pyshics hard?like was it one where you actually have to do work??(god forbid!)
    or was it one where you learn loads wothout having to take loads of bullsh*t notes?

btw,i strongly recommend LS,its the best course i have ever done.

anyone done philosophy?whats it like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Spraypaint

Legal Studies, especially with Eoin Carolan as instructor is brilliant craic but not quite as good any more since "Hot Rod" is no longer the TA. But it's interesting, practical and there isn't too much work involved.
    Psychology is slightly over-hyped and relatively dull unless you have an interest in it as a subject but since I do it was happy days. The notes are a bit of a pain though.
    All in all both are great courses in their own rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭guX

I did Psychology, and I didn't really enjoy it at all. It was rather boring. I wouldn't recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You don't actually need to take notes, he gives you a handout with a lot of the stuff in it. You'd have to ask someone else about how hard it was, I found it really easy, but I'd done a lot of physics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

If you want to do a class that's isn't very...intellectual, but absolutely brilliant in every single way, it's gotta be an art course. I did art and art history and art design, and you just get to know people so much better when you're drawing around them or going on endless trips to the bots. There's a much more relaxed vibe in the classroom and it's easier to bond.

But there wasn't any art courses offered this year so maybe they're gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Lizzie

yeah, art design was my favourite course, but the arty courses mustn't be too popular as they seem to have all disappeared, even architecture, which was only vaguely arty. they're really excellent courses in general- laid back, interesting, fun and you can get to know people really well. i can't understand why they've all gone.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Psychology was good with Sarah McElwee, but seemingly it's not as good now. Legal studies is interesting, and also very much a doss. Electronic engineering is great, there's proper (fun) work to do and there's actually a bit of a challenge. That said, I might be the only one who loves putting circuits together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

ive done spec fiction, advertising and international history.
    int his is boring, but fun, especially if you've a nice class which you generally do.
    advertising was crap. dull crap and crap. but there's a new teacher this year and its apparently good!
    spec fiction was great. i hated sci fi etc, but i just wanted to do a writing course, but you can do horror if you want! its just such an enjoyable class. doss, yes, but great. best course ever! (:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Philosophy is great fun, especially with Fiachra as the instructor. Some of the reading is intensely boring though. On the plus side, you dont have to do any project, just two essays and a debate.

Legal Studies was great (sorry if I scared anyone with my detailed description of what hapopens when you rape a baby....blame Áine) the 40 minute breaks wer great, and although we dossed alot we learned so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Journalism, although seemingly unavailable in thins day and age, was excellent. Laid back, yet informative.

WFL was deliciously free-flowing and ... well, dossy. Great fun, and you learn whether you realise it or not.

Psychology, although popular and generally regarded as good, was lacking this year without Sarah McElwee. The course itself- as in the general material covered - was interesting, but I found the instructor rather dull. It had so much potential as a course, but sadly no ... the people in the class were great, though. *waits for high 5 from classmate...*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭the_only_Ali

I'd high-5 you, but I was in psychology B.
    Archaeology was great but you need an interest in the subject, and it helps if you like puns.
    WFL was amazing, so relaxed and happy.
    Internationaly history was great in my opinion but only consider it if you actually have an interest in history as there is much work involved.
    Psychology was... not as good as I expected it to be. The new instructors let the subject down- they were sound but inexperienced in actually... being psychologists.

Journalism, although seemingly unavailable in thins day and age, was excellent. Laid back, yet informative.

...*

I'm assuming you didn't do journalism this year. We had a new instructor who spent all the time doing media studies instead of actual writing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I did that Journalism course. We learned everything you need to know about journalism, and had a great time. O! Gavin, I miss thee.

Philosophy is great, better even. Fiachra's a legend, and a sarcastic spa, and philosophers are just interesting, syphillic/barrel-dwelling people.

• Advertisement

You're Karl from Scoil Oilibheir right? And you write for the Blanch Gazette?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Woah!

Stay out of my garbage!

Edit: on review of your posts, I know exactly who you are, and could make the same two points about you.

Hi Niamh!

Hey, any craic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 synge

Achaeology is a lot of writing, but is awesome in the long run. plus you get field trips. and an instructor who has 5+ cups of coffee in the first 3 hours or class and teaches you how to skin cats.....we never did get to skin that little journalism kid though........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭COCK

journalism with gavin daly, who is the best journalist in ireland and writes for the sunday business post, was absolutely brilliant, not a lot of work, informatively interesting, its not on session 2 anymore, but its good

psychology is complete crap (with sarah mcalwee), so boring, so much work, and shes scary. i wasnt that interested in the course, but if you are i suppose it would be good

zoology is soooooooo bad. Its more environmental studies, and ecology, and only a small bit on animals. A lot of work, and the instructer is an uptight, yet somewhat interesting sod. Hopefully it wont be back again next year, so people wont have to suffer the agony that is zoology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭guX

High Five!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Karlusss wrote:

Philosophy is great, better even. Fiachra's a legend, and a sarcastic spa, and philosophers are just interesting, syphillic/barrel-dwelling people.

Philosophy was so much fun it should have been illegal. It completly ruined all of our social skills though, with conversations going like "nice day" "Is it? Do YOU really think that? Or does someone think that for you? Who are YOU?" And so on, but "you can't be right, you don't exist" was an extremely useful phrase. We always got really long breaks, interesting homework, learnt useful things, watched videos of naked old people, oh my, good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

i liked philosophy in parts but nothing beats international relations, if only for the extremely comfortable chairs....

i really enjoyed architecture, it was great but again, sadly unavailable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Psychology had a video of little kids attacking people. And other people jumping on paving stones for NO REASON other than they were told. Hehehe. Best video ever.

Anyway.

I did Screenwriting last year. I... don't think it's going to come up again because we all gave it such bad reviews. I actually learned NOTHING AT ALL about screenwriting. We did however get to go online and had study periods that consisted of breaks followed by breaks followed by brief moments of watching films, followed by breaks. (Go Frank!)

Psychology... hum. Well, as a subject itself it's quite fascinating. However the way we learned it... slideshow presentations, all day, every day.. taking notes... was less than exciting. I think I might have learned things, though. And we did get to run around questioning people. More of that would have been fun. I don't unrecommend it, but as someone already said, I think it didn't live up to all the hype surrounding it. I mean, hell, there were two psych classes this year it was in such high demand, but it certainly looked like other classes might have been having more fun.

Advertisement