Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good/bad courses??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

WFL probably has appeal for everyone.

I enjoyed all the courses I've done, I think Psychology is very good but Sarah McElwee doesn't teach it anymore (didn't this year anyway).

I liked both Russian and Chinese but I think Russian was a better designed course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Here's what I thought:

Economics - Boring as fcuk but the instructor was an absolute legend and I heard he made it more interesting since I did it.

Psychology - I also thought this was way over-hyped and not really all that interesting.After all the stories I heard about mad experiments in Dublin city, it was a little bit of a let down.I liked the instructor I had though.Sarah McElwee was a great laugh but I'm not sure what people thought of this year's instructors.

Corporate Business - Great course, very interesting but you have to give it a few days.Daryl is great craic, but don't forget, by the end of it Deloitte own you.

Legal Studies - Amazing course, my favourite of them all.Eoin is such a great, funny guy who can make even precedent interesting.You can really tell he was a student, he is the original Mr. CTYI.Recommend it to anyone, it has even made me seriously consider making Law my no.1 CAO choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Medicine In The Lab: Great course. I really enjoyed the science behind it all and the lab work (with all the cool gadgets) was fun. The experiment reports aren't hard at all. You could do them in 40 mins. They have to be done but don't worry. Plus Tony (the instructor) is so so so so so so very cool and funny and nice.

Theoretical Physics: Again a great instructor (who can juggle and has cool hippie hair). If you like maths you'll like this a lot! The concepts are deep and challenging. The homework is quite short and sweet. Pretty much just practice of the stuff in class. The class is laid back but focused. Again a great course.

Archaeology B: A brilliant course again (I've been lucky with my choices). There's a good deal of reading a work involved but the subject is interesting. Vinnie (the instructor) is a really great man with excellent stories (and not so excellent puns, as I'm sure some of you read on the restaurant bulletin board). There are 3 field trips which are refreshing and a good laugh.

Well there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

Spraypaint wrote:
    Legal Studies, especially with Eoin Carolan as instructor is brilliant craic but not quite as good any more since "Hot Rod" is no longer the TA. But it's interesting, practical and there isn't too much work involved.
    Psychology is slightly over-hyped and relatively dull unless you have an interest in it as a subject but since I do it was happy days. The notes are a bit of a pain though.
    All in all both are great courses in their own rights.

I did both of them. Did Psy in '04. The teacher & TA changed
    this year, so it wasn't as good, but my Psychology class was brilliant. I agree with Liam, Sarah was a great laugh. Eilish was great too. That psy class rocked. As did Legal studies (come back, Rod, the Green Party will never love you like we do). And Int. History this year was really interesting. I've never laughed so much.

Either im really lucky or really easily amused.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

don't forget, by the end of it Deloitte own you.
    It's funny cause it's true!

BTW, is Eoin gonna be teaching Legal Studies next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

He said that there's a chance he wont be doing one of the sessions :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 hunistars

If your looking for an easy doss of a class do Writing for Life, it was great, everyone bonds really well because it's all trips to the park and museums, and if you tell yvonne what your writing is very personal she never expects you to hand it up.
    Philosophy was great too with Fiachra playing dress-up everyday and thinking of new and improved ways to eradicate humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Purple Hayes

I am/was a newbie this year and i made the mistake of pickin Zoology as my first course.
    It was soooooooo borin! And our instructor lady gave us so much work 2 do and half of us never knew wat to do.
    There was a lot of catching up on sleep done during lectures. And there was like nothing on animals at all. I think i only survived cos of the people i had in my class.... You rocked guys!!!! (Well most of ye did neway!- damn yello caps.... and FARMERS!!)
    Only do zoology if you are REALLY and truly interested. Otherwise its a waste of time. But you do still learn a bit so ya.... The tribe has spoken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

hunistars wrote:
    If your looking for an easy doss of a class do Writing for Life, it was great, everyone bonds really well because it's all trips to the park and museums, and if you tell yvonne what your writing is very personal she never expects you to hand it up.
    Philosophy was great too with Fiachra playing dress-up everyday and thinking of new and improved ways to eradicate humanity.
    i'm telling you, sterilisers in dutch gold is the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Jack Lynch wrote:
    That psy class rocked

I'm loved!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭LordCran

Jack Lynch wrote:
    I did both of them. Did Psy in '04. The teacher & TA changed
    this year, so it wasn't as good, but my Psychology class was brilliant. I agree with Liam, Sarah was a great laugh. Eilish was great too. That psy class rocked. As did Legal studies (come back, Rod, the Green Party will never love you like we do). And Int. History this year was really interesting. I've never laughed so much.

Either im really lucky or really easily amused.
    Psychology seems to be getting a fairly bad rep. Ah well, I might do it anyway, but only if my brother returns as TA (and does the whole launching-wheeled-shoes-at-a-target thing again. Actually, on second thought, they might not let him back after that.) I did IH this year, and it was hilarious. We had a great laugh at the expenses of Margaret Thatcher, Cork and Robbie's Beatles haircut. That might just have been because of the people/psychos in the class, but who can argue with a course where you can build a Death Star? Someone else can explain that, I'm too lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Jade Chihuahua

Writing For Life and Spec Fic Wri. Both rule, both kinda dossy, really good classes overall. Great laugh.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAetc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Love

COCK wrote:
    zoology is soooooooo bad. Its more environmental studies, and ecology, and only a small bit on animals. A lot of work, and the instructer is an uptight, yet somewhat interesting sod. Hopefully it wont be back again next year, so people wont have to suffer the agony that is zoology

Hey, I did Zoology this year too, who are you?

-Sophia

Undergod wrote:
    I'm loved!

By me, or did you just put my quote in for the hell of it? Are you Eilish or Sarah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Colourful

Legal Studies - It was good enough although some of it (precedent)was a little bit boring. Eoin is very cool...

Japanese L&C - Wow, it was brilliant, definately the most work I have ever done in a CTYI course. I wouldn't really recommend it to people who think they're going to be learning about anime and noodles, we did about 3-4 hours of grammar every day. I learned a lot and I got an odd sense of satisfaction at the end when I could read hiragana. The instructor (Colm) is great, really helpful and sarcastic, and the TA, Simon, rocked too.

Go Japanese!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Dirtydancer

Writing For Life kicks socks and rocks ass!!! :D

Jack Lynch wrote:
    Undergod wrote:
    I'm loved!
    By me, or did you just put my quote in for the hell of it? Are you Eilish or Sarah?

My apologies, Bill, i dont get this new-fangled technology. This is why it took me so long to get the hang of Sky Digital

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Classics was brilliant fun. It wasn't really heavyu so I think it was a great introduction to CTYI. Russian was fantastic. The instructor is one of the loveliest people I've ever come across. IR... well, I wouldn't do it again. Chinese was a bit dull but it was okay overall. Could have been worked better. Russian was my favourite, but I think that's more to do with the people and all the jazz of that year.

That's how i feel about IH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

Writing for life was fantastic if you already enjoy writing and want to learn how to actually do it... Wouldn't advise it if you hate taking a pen in your hand etc... Great fun though!!! :)

Legal Studies was excellent!!! Eoin Carolan is a total ledgend as was Rod when he was TA... Sadly Rod's gone and rumor has it now that Eoin's ben called to the bar he'll no longer do it either... :D

Advertising was horrible!!! If Andy hadn't been TA i would've cracked up!!! :mad:

Philosophy is fasinating and you come home feeling you've learned tons and become really smart (with a capital T) Though be warned you will end up doubting you exist, have free will and the existance of anything... Fiachra's a ledgend teacher too!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

Computer Applications was great. The instructor was extremely down-to-earth and fun, and there was a great mix of work and dossing. Recommended.

Electronic Engineering was not too good. It was very involved and focussed so deeply on subjects that you'd be looking at one circuit for a whole class, etc. and it got very boring. Instructor wasn't great.

Advertising was brilliant, great instructor, lots of fun. The stuff you learn is extremely interesting as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Dearv

LiamD wrote:
    Here's what I thought:

Legal Studies - Amazing course, my favourite of them all.Eoin is such a great, funny guy who can make even precedent interesting.You can really tell he was a student, he is the original Mr. CTYI.Recommend it to anyone, it has even made me seriously consider making Law my no.1 CAO choice.

Yeah totally agree eoin & legal studies rox but bring bac the rod!!!!! Oh the amount of laughs we got out of him seals, the greenparty, etc. - did u guys c his campaign web page - absolutely fantasticly funny!!!!!Eoin really gets wat its like 2 b a student so u have a laugh aswell as learnin ahell of alot :eek: seriously tho its such a good course im seriously thinkin of doin it post skool!!! :D

I.H.this year was one of the best ever -i transferred in on day 2thinkin it wood b kinda borin even tho i like history and it was definately a fantastic decision! i dunno was it because the students were the best, brian was insanely funny " gay men arent real men" or just cause it was really interestin but it maorly rocked sox! :) have never laughed so much in my life as in sess2 this year - or tlked or argued or debated come 2 think about it .... i suppose that may have caused my laryngitis and throat infection but still !!!!!!!! it was majorely class u just tlk, discuss & debate stuff all day!!! Model league of nations - we averted ww2 & gave austrailia 2 the ews! HELL YEAH!!!it was a brilliant class with real nice group of people & we had the best of fun!!! really recommend it 2 anyone one of the best courses offered with a class teacher 2!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

Colourful wrote:
    I wouldn't really recommend it to people who think they're going to be learning about anime and noodles...
    Yet somehow that's all I remember about that class in '04...
    Nah, there was learning, but we watched loads of videos and did plenty of the interesting culture stuff, too. Almost certainly the best of the five classes I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rainbowkeruffle

i would recommend either a writing course, i did writing for life and spec fiction, and they were brilliant. We had some really helpful tips on writing, and they were the most fun ever. also, because writing is more of an abstract area than science or something, and because everyone writes differently and has different ideas, you're under a lot less pressure in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jen-pixie

Outcast wrote:
    I'm assuming you didn't do journalism this year. We had a new instructor who spent all the time doing media studies instead of actual writing

Totally agree! I really expected to be getting tips on writing and the like, but we really only did that briefly when we were doing the newspaper. Every day, we had to endure lectures on semiotics and signifiers and stuff. Study sessions were more fun though, especially with Tom Cruise (TA's 2nd identity) letting us have a laugh. So journalism is probably not that great an idea if you wanna learn a lot about writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

Andrew=Tom Cruise. 200 words on what you percieve post modernism to be...oh s**t the cleaners wiped our homework off the board! Good times

i would recommend either a writing course, i did writing for life and spec fiction, and they were brilliant. We had some really helpful tips on writing, and they were the most fun ever. also, because writing is more of an abstract area than science or something, and because everyone writes differently and has different ideas, you're under a lot less pressure in general.

Yes, i believe you gave up IH to go to Spec. Fic. For shame.

I hope Eoin comes back. He's probably the best teacher of the lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Love

Zoology sucked. People were great, everything else... ugh. 'Nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

Yay for Eoin!!! He said that he would try to come back since he's only gonna be lecturing this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭CONOR!!! f...

ok me next!

Legal Studies: brilliant! best course i've done in my 3 years! eoin and roderic (unfortunately he's gone but according to some its still a great course) was great! after that law is among my ambitions! you learn so much while having fun at the same time. precedent and the midget family suing the circus. great.

Computer Applications: a bit meh. the course was good. i mean you learn a lot. you just don't get taught a lot. the TA rocked! eamon was the best out of the instructor and ta thing. with our teacher nikki you didnt do a lot of the applications part. just java java java. but theres a new instructor now and from the day i spent in the class this year its ok. theres more learning which seemed great!

Chinese: again. meh. you didnt really learn a lot. though it was fun in odd ways. the jumping out the window after study, nutriters etc. ta was again better than instructor imho.

and now im off.

Advertisement