Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[PR] Callely launches Public Consultation Process for Limerick Green Routes

• 02-08-2005 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=6852&lang=ENG&loc=1850
    Callely launches Public Consultation Process for Limerick Green Routes
    28 July 2005

Mr. Ivor Callely, T.D., Minister of State at the Department of Transport today (Thursday 28th July 2005) visited Limerick where he officially launched a public consultation process for the Limerick Green Routes Bus Strategyand another for the remodelling of O'Connell Street and William Street. Today's ceremony marks another step forward in the City Council efforts, together with the people and traders of the City, to make Limerick a more pedestrian friendly, colourful and relaxing City.

In Limerick city itself, under the Green Routes Network Strategy consultation process, new "Green Routes" are planned for the Ennis Road, for Ballinacurra Road/O'Connell Avenue and for the Dublin Road/Childers Road/ and Mulgrave Street. These Western, Southern and Eastern Green Routes will give extra priority to buses, taxis and cyclists and deliver more people to the heart of Limerick city. All the routes are for incoming traffic only, partly because of road width restrictions and partly because it is incoming traffic that has the greatest delays, even in the evening peak. "Subject to the public consultation process, the plan is to develop these routes from this year on the Ennis Road and proceed to the others in 2006 with funding from the Department", said the Minister of State. The plans for these routes are available for inspection and comment in Limerick City Hall. Special consideration is given to residents and businesses on these routes to ensure that disruption to their lives and livelihoods are minimised.

Minister Callely said: "I am fully aware of the problems that can sometimes be encountered when Green Routes are proposed. However, I know from my own experience that a number of measures including good scheme design, effective enforcement and partnerships between bus operators and the local authorities to deliver increased reliability and frequency of bus services can overcome these problems and make our cities much more attractive places to live, shop, visit and work.

"Quality and reliability of bus services, which can only be delivered by Green Routes, are a key element in efforts to reduce congestion and are critical to increase passenger numbers on bus transport and to transform the attractiveness of our cities. Experience internationally, and particularly in Ireland, shows that only Green Routes or Quality Bus Corridors over complete routes achieve the step change in the level and quality of service, which will encourage people to move to using bus transport. In that regard, I believe that areas generating large volumes of traffic such as the major area of employment at Raheen and the University and residential areas to the east of the city must be connected by complete Green Routes along the full corridors to the city centre. I am delighted to see that Limerick County Council are already constructing this year a Green Route section from Raheen Roundabout to Ballinacurra with funding from the Department and from the Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government."

"Well designed pedestrianisation and street remodelling schemes are invariably popular and commercially successful and it is important that local authorities develop such schemes to promote walking, cycling and to give priority to public transport. Limerick City Council has held a competition to provide a City Centre Strategy.

The Minister of State also spoke of the Government's investment in Limerick. "The Government over the last few years has invested heavily in Limerick and in the Mid West Region. My own Department of Transport is investing almost €1 billion in major national road projects in the Mid West region through projects such as the N18/N19 road upgrade, the Limerick Southern Ring road, the Ennis Bypass, and the Limerick to Nenagh motorway. The Department has also invested in a significantly improved rail service with modern rail carriages on the main routes serving Limerick. These measures are improving access to Limerick and helping to alleviate congestion in Limerick itself."

The Minister of State also spoke of the Government's commitment to the application of new technologies in addressing traffic management. An Automated Urban Traffic Control System, funded by the Department of Environment Heritage & Local Government and by the Department of Transport at a cost of €3m, has been installed in Limerick city linking all traffic lights to a central computer in City Hall and facilitating improved traffic flows. "I am particularly happy that the system provides a shorter waiting time for pedestrians crossing at junctions, and that it will give buses priority at key city junctions through the use of bus detection technology and transponders on the city bus fleet", he said.

"However, while these measures will help with traffic congestion in Limerick City, traffic growth is expanding at a rate of 7%. Further measures are essential. The Limerick Ring Road Phase II which will help greatly and I am happy to say that this project is already well advanced. The tunnel and the related works to complete the Limerick Ring around to the Ennis Road are on target for completion in 2008", said Minister Callely.

ENDS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=6850&lang=ENG&loc=1081
    Speech by Ivor Callely re the Limerick Green Routes Bus Strategy
    28 July 2005

Speech by Mr Ivor Callely, T.D., Minister for State at the Department of Transport at the launch of the public consultation process for the Limerick Green Routes Bus Strategy and the public consultation process for the remodelling of OConnell Street and William Street on Upper Bedford Row, Limerick
    Thursday 28th July 2005

I am delighted to be with you today for the official launch of the public consultation process for the Limerick Green Routes Bus Strategyand the publicconsultation process for the remodelling of O'Connell Street and William Street. I am particularly delighted to be here at the "Feet on the Street Carnival" on Upper Bedford Row, which is to be pedestrianised over the coming months.

The Government over the last few years have invested heavily in Limerick and in the Mid West Region. The Main Drainage Scheme is essentially completed, with funding from the Department of Environment Heritage & Local Government, at a cost of €250 million. My own Department of Transport is investing almost €1 billion in major national road projects in the Mid West region through projects such as the N18/N19 road upgrade, the Limerick Southern Ring road, the Ennis Bypass, and the Limerick to Nenagh motorway. My Department has also invested in a significantly improved rail service with modern rail carriages on the main routes serving Limerick. These measures are improving access to Limerick and helping to alleviate congestion in Limerick itself.

The Government is also committed to the application of new technologies to assist with traffic management. An Automated Urban Traffic Control System, funded by the Department of Environment Heritage & Local Government and by the Department of Transport at a cost of €3m, has been installed in Limerick city linking all traffic lights to a central computer in City Hall and facilitating improved traffic flows. I am particularly happy that the system has made the streets safer by reducing the waiting time for pedestrians crossing at junctions, and that it will give buses priority at key city junctions through the use of bus detection technology and transponders on the city bus fleet.

The effect of these measures is to assist with the reduction of traffic congestion in Limerick City. However, with traffic growth expanding at a rate of 7%, further measures are essential. The Ring Road Phase II will help greatly and I am happy to say that the project is already well advanced. The tunnel and the related works to complete the Limerick Ring around to the Ennis Road are on target for completion in 2008.

Here in the city itself, under the Green Routes Network Strategy consultation process, new "Green Routes" are planned for the Ennis Road, for Ballinacurra Road/O'Connell Avenue and for the Dublin Road/Childers Road/ and Mulgrave Street. These Western, Southern and Eastern Green Routes will give extra priority to buses, taxis and cyclists and deliver more people to the heart of Limerick city. All the routes are for incoming traffic only, partly because of road width restrictions and partly because it is incoming traffic that has the greatest delays, even in the evening peak. Subject to the public consultation process, the plan is to develop these routes from this year on the Ennis Road and proceed to the others in 2006 with funding from my Department. The plans for these routes are available for inspection and for your comment in City Hall.

Special consideration is given to residents and businesses on these routes to ensure that disruption to their lives and livelihoods are minimised.

I am fully aware of the problems that we can sometimes encounter when Green Routes are proposed. However, I know from my own experience that a number of measures including good scheme design, effective enforcement and partnerships between bus operators and the local authorities to deliver increased reliability and frequency of bus services can overcome these problems and make our cities much more attractive places to live, shop, visit and work.

Quality and reliability of bus services, which can only be delivered by Green routes, are a key element in efforts to reduce congestion and are critical to increase passenger numbers on bus transport and to transform the attractiveness of our cities. Experience internationally, and particularly in Ireland, shows that only Green routes or Quality Bus Corridors over complete routes achieve the step change in the level and quality of service, which will encourage people to move to using bus transport. In that regard, I believe that areas generating large volumes of traffic such as the major area of employment at Raheen and the University and residential areas to the east of the city must be connected by complete Green Routes along the full corridors to the city centre. I am delighted to see that Limerick County Council are already constructing this year a Green route section from Raheen Roundabout to Ballinacurra with funding from my Department and from the Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government.

All of these improvements will bring extra people into the City efficiently even from as far as Shannon where airline passenger numbers have increased by 50% in recent months.

Today's ceremony and the "Feet on the Street Carnival" here on Bedford Row marks another step forward in the City Council efforts, together with the people and traders of the City, to make Limerick a more pedestrian friendly, colourful and relaxing City.

Well designed pedestrianisation and street remodelling schemes are invariably popular and commercially successful and it is important that local authorities develop such schemes to promote walking, cycling and to give priority to public transport. Limerick City Council has held a competition to provide a City Centre Strategy. The initial phase of this work starts with the pedestrianisation of this street, Upper Bedford Row. The follow on phases have been designed. The plans are here for inspection and later on will be in City Hall for another month. Now is your chance to have an input into the debate and to say what you want the City Centre to be like.

In conclusion, I hope you will support Limerick City Council in its efforts to continue to shape the City into a more convenient, desirable, and interesting destination for shoppers and visitors and to improve the economic wellbeing of Limerick's businesses. Lets seize the opportunity now available to us and bring "Feet on the Street" to the centre of Limerick City.

Advertisement