Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email attachments from 3g vodafone question

Options
  • 02-08-2005 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hello all,
    I would like to ask the boards members for advice on sending email attachments using a 3g mobile phone with Vodafone. I am on ready-to-go.

I am speaking on behalf of a group of students who are completing a thesis project for the Multimedia Masters course in DCU.

Part of our project involves gathering pictures from people using mobile phones. We have a script set up that can process emails from an mailbox and extract the image and txt from the email.

I have tried the following:
    Vodafone Mail
    I have the nokia 6630 smartphone, and while I can use vodafone mail to send and receive emails i cannot attach files. It appears the wap in general cannot attach files.

Email Client on Mobile phone
    So my second option is using the email client on the phone. This allows you to create an email and attach a file, but the email program returns an error when trying to send. I have discovered that Vodafone, do not allow pay-as-you-go customers to use this email client. Damn!

Does anyone have any ideas on how you could send an email with an attachment(a picture file) on a phone?

Another possibility:. The phone has web browsing, so I tried a couple of webmail services, though while I can check email there, I get errors on sending. Does someone know if a webmail service should allow a mobile browser to send email.

At this point you may be asking we do not just send an MMS message to an email address. Well our script is better suited to emails, since, MMS messages sent to emails include lots of Vodafone logos, images and some advertisements and this gets the way of the script. Plus the lack of the Subject header in an MMS message makes storing and retrieving more difficult.

Your advice is very much appreciated.
    Thanks
    -Jamie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

You can use mms but select email instead.If you set up a contact in your address book, enter in a mobile number and then an email address. Then send an mms message to this adddress and it should give you two choice of either the mobile number or the email address.

On the receiving end this will be delivered to the email address. Should come in as an email with attachments - first will be the text message sent with the mms, the second with the image as a image/jpeg type. You will need to pop/imap s/w to open the attachment and save the image to the local disk.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement