Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DSL Wireless Router - what do u recommend?!

• 02-08-2005 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Got Esat BT's 2MB thing, got no hardware. We want to play games and share files between a laptop and 2 pc's, what hardware should one invest in? Quality is more important than cost but we don't want to be needlessly extravagant.

What would you lads recommend? :eek:

Also, I assume we could setup a small web/game server if we wanted to? Marvellous.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

You will need a wireless router. Otherwise known as an access point.
    your internet connection plugs into this.
    This device wirelessly (and perhaps also through wires) shares your internet connection around the place. An example of an AP is http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306148&cks=PLC

I assume your laptop has a built-in wifi card? If not you will need to purchase a pcmcia one. http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=301534&cks=PRL is an example of this.

For the pcs, you can buy USB or PCI Wifi cards. I'd reccommend USB if you dont know a whole lot about computers. An example of this is: http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=305053&cks=PRL

Or you could buy one of the bundles on this page
    http://komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10556
    which includes 2 or more of the above pieces of hardware.

*note that the hardware I reccommended is around the cheaper end of the scale, as expensive hardware is not needed for a basic gaming/filesharing/web surfing network.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Dont forget that you can mix and match wireless and 'wires' so that if any of the pcs are near the router/modem you can save yourself some money and just use ethernet cable (presuming that the pcs have an ethernet card).

Just a warning about using the usbs for the wireless - a couple of guys who work in pc shops have told me they tend to get broken from 'sticking out' but if they are going to be at the back of pcs and out of the way permanently that may not be an issue for you.

dub45: yep thats a point that I missed.
    You can simply get a router with some ethernet ports and connect it through a wire to one or more of your computers, save yourself the bother of buying wireless network cards.

Also, these USB dongles all come with a usb cable which you can connect to the computer and then position the dongle anywhere you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Hoojah Nickabolokov

Thanks lads, that's the one I was looking at!

HN

Yeah, its a good standard wireless router.
    Fairly simple to set up, etc.

• Advertisement

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Yeah, its a good standard wireless router.
    Fairly simple to set up, etc.

Fuzzy can I come and sit by the pool and we can discuss wireless equipment? :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

would I be right in saying - with the Linksys router you selected - Hoojah will still have to use his modem connected to the router.

I just bought a Netgear DG834G modem wireless router -- so I will not have to use my BT modem.
    This is because I only have limited power points beside the phone socket and only wanted to power up 1 modem/router instead of 1 modem & 1 router.

Karl.

tbh Its just as handy to plug your ADSL modem into your router.
    Most DSL packages come bundled with a DSL modem, but not with a wireless router.
    Rather than choose from a limited selection of (mostly crap) combo ADSL modem/router- I find it much simpler to just buy a seperate router. You dont have to worry about protocol compability, whether that DSL modem will work with this dsl line, etc.
    Wifi (802.11b/g) is an approved international standard, and as such all products will work just fine with each other.

Tbh, theres enough little niggles and issuse with wifi allready without complicating things further for new users :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 setanta

Sorry to bump and / or hijack this thread but I was wondering did Karltimber or anyone else have any problems connecting an access point on an EsatBT BB connection?

Does anyone know if some access points / wireless routers are more compatible or easier to configure to EsatBT than others ?

I haven't purchased yet so I am trying to decide the best to get

the isp you use should not make any difference as the settings for eircom/esat/utv are broadly the same afaik except for the sign in and password.

• Advertisement
Advertisement