Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

top 10 games of all time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well I liked them too, but they just didn't make the top 10... Theme Hospital is feckin' hilarious. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

my ten in no order

half life
    counter strike (separate to hl as it created a once great community)
    final fantasy VII (play it if you haven't)
    zelda:a link to the past (flawless)
    GTA 3 (redefined the series)
    Super mario bros
    Sonic
    Street fighter 2
    goldeneye
    sam and max

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

But i think its fair to say that the original GTA was so addictive and such good fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

MGS1
    Streets of Rage
    Sonic 2
    Markio Kart64
    Quake 3
    GTA 3
    Gran Tourismo
    Body Harvest
    Final Fantasy VII
    Soul Calibour

By no means the top 10 games evar, but certainly my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silenoz

What about Bubble Bobble? :eek:
    Gaming perfection, so simple yet so brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Deus ex - pc
    Manic Miner - msx
    Nemesis - various systems
    Salamander - various systems
    1942 - coin op
    Karate Champ - coin op
    tetris - various systems
    hard drivin - coin op
    super sprint - coin op and atari st
    Knightmare. - msx

Good old mix of stuff there, the main reason it's mostly retro is because these are the games I wasted my teenage years on.
    Atari st was the first machine that came close to coin op quality IMO, and the MSX was a great precursor to the pc idea of uniform platforms and cross compatibility.
    I had the advantage of running the school computer club, so I got to try out all the latest and greatest machines in the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

No order here....

Zelda : A Link to the Past(SNES),
    Zelda : Ocarina of Time(N64),
    Diablo 2(PC),
    NFL 2k5(XBOX),
    Super Metroid(SNES),
    Street Fighter 2(SNES),
    C&C Red Alert(PC),
    Half Life(PC),
    Morrowind(PC),
    The Legend of Zelda(NES).

Can anyone spot the Zelda fan???
    Couldn't put WW up there yet, just started playing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

So many to choose from! I could probably think about this on ten different days and come up with ten completely different listss but here goes.

1) Final Fantasy VII - obvious but I just loved that story
    2) Star Wars:KOTOR - The only RPG I've played that feels like a truly interactive story where you really play the main role, and you just don't take over control of him while he's fighting things.
    3) Suikoden 2 - Another amazing RPG with a brilliantly told story and so much to do.
    4) World of Warcraft - I've never been more addicted to a game, although most of this highlights have come from the people I play it with than the game itself.
    5) Civilization 2/3 - I can just keep going back and it never gets old.
    6) Broken Sword - Great story and characters that went beyond what you expect from a game. Also the only game I can think of that's visited Ireland.
    7) GTA3 - created a world previously impossible in games, hours of freeform fun.
    8) Syndicate - My most beloved game of the 16-bit era, it had depth and strategy ahead of it's time. Also, the agents looked cool.
    9) Gran Turismo 1/2/3/4 - Ok so they dont change much but the feel of driving is still outstanding. My GT3 save file has fastest laptimes set in 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005, not many console games with that kind of longevity.
    10) Micro Machines 1/2/96 - Brilliant multiplayer fun, never got tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Great games that haven't been mentioned so far:

Rogue
    Elite
    Alone in the Dark
    Probotector

Probably more but those spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Ok the Under Hyped list ( some-what ;) )

People should leave work now...yes now - buy what ever console is required and head home...yes now!!

Eternal Darkness - GC
    Zelda Wind Walker - GC
    Zelda Ocinara Of Time - N64
    ICO - PS 2
    Perfect Dark - N64
    REZ - PS 2
    Resident Evil 4 - GC

• Advertisement

All you pesky young'uns (shakes fist) wouldn't know a good game if it bit you on the (still not dropped) nuts!

Gfx and hardware tschah in my day we played wind up video games.
    I still remember the first one i ever played was Demon Driver on a mac1 and that was pure moving asterisk goodness, looked like ****e, black screen with asterisks as the roadsides and no gfx as such and operated by that nasty floppy mac joystick, was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Not many games on the older "consoles" - C64, Spectrum or Amiga.
    I think some of these games got to be mentioned as they were a base for what we have now... or maybe that just shows our age!
    Maybe I should mention Pong and Tetris, but I just never liked them!
    I love SWAT 4 and BF2, but I've only just got them. The below games I've played for ages and ages and still will never get bored of them... a sign of a classic!
    Here's mine... in no particular order:

PES series (PS2) - best soccer games ever. I used to be a die-hard FIFA nut (had from the first (96) on the SNES up to 2002) but PES was in a different league!

Bubble Bobble (Spectrum) - Best old game to play with a mate... classic! Was mentioned already and I bet they understand!

Chaos (Spectrum) - a brilliant multiplayer game for up to 8 players! You didnt get that much in the old days...

GTA series (PS2) - no holes barred fun!

Super Mario Karts (SNES) - brilliant fun racing game.

Rainbox 6 series (PC) - the first tactical FPS I played.... and I was hooked!

Duke Nukem (PC) - prefered this to Doom any day!

Back to Skool / Skooldayz (Spectrum) - probably my favourite. You play Eric, the school bully, and go around doing pranks and getting lines. I think they're doing some kind of remake for todays consoles.

Grand Prix 2 and 3 (PC) - My favourite racing sim.. 2 especially. played it for years with so many downloads / fan sites.

Railroad Tycoon (PC) - one of the first PC games I had on an old 386. Played for ages and ages! Never liked RT2 for some reason.

I'm sure there's lots more, but these just spring straight into mind...
    Played Super Mario & Sonic a good bit, but the above games still win out.
    (cool thread btw :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

top 10 is tough but 10 I like:

Ico,
    Gregory Horror show,
    Dungeon Keeper,
    Football manager
    PES
    Micro machine (thanks for the reminder steviec)
    GTA3
    Ranibow six
    Resident Evil (original and the best)
    Virtual Tennis (dreamcast)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

GTA series
    Call of Duty (pc)
    Unreal Tournament series (pc)
    resi 4 (gc)
    championship manager 4 (pc)
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (gc)
    Pikmin (gc)
    Advance Wars (emulator)
    Battlefield series (pc)
    C&C Generals (pc)
    Sim City 4 (pc)
    warzone 2100 ps1 (ps)
    medal of honour series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Everquest (PC)
    Montasumas revenge (Atari 8bit)
    Advance wars (GBA)
    God of War (PS2)
    Ultima 3 (Atari 8bit)
    C&C RA (PC)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Trying to put on order on them is impossible. So, in no particular order:

Frontier Elite - oldschool charm and fantastic vision. Still hasn't been bested in what it does IMO

Civilization series - dominate the world again and again with slightly better graphics each time! ;-) Civ 4 is touted to be a bigger-than-previous improvement on the near-perfect formula.

Half Life 2 - hybrid of technical & gameplay genius

Tomb Raider 1 - people sometimes forget how hugely hugely influential this game was. "Look at the amazing 3D engine!" - "Look at this new-fangled 3rd person floating camera perspective!" - "Look at the graceful acrobatic moves!" - "Look at her pointy breasts!"

Total War series - its tough to pick my favourite between Medieval and Rome (Shogun, while a great game, doesn't compare to the later two)

I would come up with another 5, but my boss keeps walking around behind my desk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

10 Soul Calibur 2 or Soul Blade
    9 Battlefield 2/1942
    8 Gta series ---- Some annoying flaws in places but good fun
    7 Zelda LTTP, OOT, WW --- Good Stuff but wind waker is a bit annoying
    6 F Zero Gx ---- BEST RACING GAME EVER!!!
    5 Resident Evil 1(original or remake, both are deadly)
    4 Resident Evil 4
    3 Worms Armageddon
    "I'll get you" [/worm voice]
    2 Final Fantasy 7
    1 R-type --- Any of them, they're all great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Hey, a top 10 is quite hard and I'll probably left some of my faves out but here goes:

*Silent Hill 2 (PS2) - The best psychological horror, amazing story/ graphics/ sound (or lack of it)/ originality. Many happy memories.
    *Goldeneye (N64) - Every level a classic. Multiplayer a selling point itself.
    *Mario 64
    *Mario 1 (NES) - My first actual game, so has nostalgic value.
    *THPS2 (PC)
    *Digger T Rock (NES) - odd, very brilliant game.
    *Gauntlet (NES) - Played right up till level 70-something and NES overheated!
    *Super Mario Allstars (SNES) - Especially Yoshis Island.
    *The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time (N64) - speaks for itself.
    *Animal Crossing (GC) - Weirdness.

Honourable mentions: Silicon Valley (N64). Also Killer 7, too new to make the list, but an excellent game. Duke Nukem 64, the multiplayer was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Daddio wrote:
    *Digger T Rock (NES) - odd, very brilliant game.
    *Gauntlet (NES) - Played right up till level 70-something and NES overheated!

yea you know the score. digger t rock was the win!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

-pro evo 4 (ps2/xbox/pc) : just cant stop playing this one :)
    -half life 1/2 (pc) : best fps ever made and not a bad sequel either
    -shogun/medieval/rome: total war (pc) : months of my life gone cuz of these games!
    -GTA series (ps2/xbox/pc) : never ending classic but i prefering playing the xbox or ps2 then pc
    -deus ex 1 (pc) : just brillant! fps/rpg but sequel was completely shi.te :(
    -age of empires 1/2 (pc) : how i loved these games
    -halo (xbox) : xbox's killer app and not a bad multiplayer
    -cossacks 1 (pc) : oh the LAN battles i had with this one
    -command and conqeror (pc) : classic and i love generals in multiplayer
    -dungeon keeper 1/2 (pc) : u can be bad! wat more do u want?

also others i played alot of: sof2 purely online! brillant vampire 1 and 2 orginaly was brillant sequel was good but could have been better and im sure there are more much more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

In no particular order

FFVII - Still the best Jap RPG I've played.

Pirates! Gold - A classic in every sense of the word. Far better than the recent update.

Terranigma - My favourite SNES game ever.

Morrowind - Not so much a game, but a living, breathing world you get sucked into.

Thief: Deadly Shadows - The only stealth game I've ever liked.

Pac-Man - The first videogame I ever played and 20 years later I'm still playing it.

Sensible Soccer - I can't even begin to imagine how much of my youth I lost to this game.

Street Fighter 2 - Still the best pure two player game. When you get two people who know what they're doing, it's like chess.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Nintendo's finest moment. Don't get the big fuss about the Water Dungeon though, I breezed through it.

Halo 2 - The first FPS game that I played online and it still sucks me in.

PES, Goldeneye, Rainbow Islands, Icewind Dale, Mario Kart 64, Lords of Midnight, Gitaroo Man and Suikoden II all just miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Bomberman (multiplayer)
    Mario Kart
    R-Type (horizontal)
    Ikaruga (vertical)
    Tetris
    Advance Wars
    Half-Life (and/or CS, but multiplayer)
    Mario 64
    Halo
    Gran Turismo

I forgot one that is worthy of a mention.
    The original UT on PC, was the nuts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Half Life 2 - A single word suffices - Wow.
    Zelda Ocriana of Time - Revolutionary. in every single way.
    Final Fantasy 7 - Probably the first proper (i.e. non kiddies) game i ever completed. Getting my gold chocobo is my proudest gaming moments.
    Deus Ex - RPG mixes with FPS to stunning effect.
    Zelda : Link to the Past - My second of three Zelda games. As fun now as it was way back when.
    Zelda : The Wind Waker - Without this, i wouldnt be playing games today, just got me right back into my favourite hobby just as i was losing hope.
    Beyond Good and Evil - playing through it right now but still makes my list for pure unrivalled genius.
    Resident Evil 4 - i shat my pants during that first siege. Seriously.
    Sonic 2 - always preferred it over mario for some reason. please dont shoot me..
    Tony Hawks 2 - 3 and 4 are better, but this is the one i spent days at a time trying to perfect...

A lot of newish games i know, but they're the ones i think kick ass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Daddio mentions Animal Crossing. Don't think I've put more time into any other game. too insanely addictive. havent played in a few weeks though. only bad can come from that...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sonic 2 - always preferred it over mario for some reason. please dont shoot me..

Where's my beretta.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*hands Retr0 his beretta*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

driver 3 for xbox deserves a mention, best fun I've had playing a video game in a long time. Missions and the driving were sexual

driver 3 for xbox deserves a mention, best fun I've had playing a video game in a long time. Missions and the driving were sexual

eeh wrong thread, I think you were looking for the crappiest games of all time, either that or you dont get out much. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Driver3....mmm... very severe case *hands Retr0 his RPG this time* :D

Advertisement