Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Utv Wireless views & advice

• 02-08-2005 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭

They have finally brought it in

Anyone have a look & see if its worth it as thinking of getting it as thinking of getting it myself......

Are they easy to install as want to move the pc to another room and dont want the hassle of long wires

Utv Wireless

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

To be honest, eircom have been bundling a wireless router with their broadband for quite some time now.
    Its 'moderately' easy to install, that meaning that if you have any sense, and can read a manual, you will do just fine.
    The benifets, however are great.
    I'm typing this on my laptop with wireless intrernet whilst sitting outside with my feet in the pool (no kidding).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

They have finally brought it in

Anyone have a look & see if its worth it as thinking of getting it as thinking of getting it myself......

Are they easy to install as want to move the pc to another room and dont want the hassle of long wires

Utv Wireless

I still think that a combined unit (ie wireless router with modem built in) is a better buy for most people as it is easier to set up than the seperates and the price difference is pretty small. Argos are now offering this Linksys all in one for 100 euros. They are very easy to install - you will need either a wireless card or a usb wireless dongle for the pc. You will have to talk to somebody else about the pool :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

fogot to mention that I am on a 1 year contract with Utv clicksilver so thats why I was looking at this

may just buy it and get a laptop as I type in my Sauna... :D

Cannot be that hard to install but will it effect download speeds???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

fogot to mention that I am on a 1 year contract with Utv clicksilver so thats why I was looking at this

may just buy it and get a laptop as I type in my Sauna... :D

Cannot be that hard to install but will it effect download speeds???

UTV have not actually brought anything in and being on one year contract with clicksilver is irrelevant all UTV are doing is selling a wireless router!

And given the price they are selling it at the one I gave a link for is a much better buy unless you are considering maybe getting wireless bb or cable in the next year or two.

And no it wont affect your speeds at all. Although I cant imagine that a laptop and a sauna will go together very well!! Ask fuzzy for an invite to the pool!!

Sauna EEK! I'd imagine your laptop would last < 60 seconds.
    <----Check my location. If youre close by, you can come to my pool all you want. ;)

Anyways, back OT.
    This UTv thing is just a little ploy to make people think they are getting new wireless internet, which they are not. All it is is a wireless router. These can be bought for anything between $20 and E200.

• Advertisement

Ok knock down the sauna and build a snooker room...

So for a wireless Noobie like mise on Broadband

with the utv wireless router would I need a wireless card or usb wireless 'dongle'
    to install this ??

Better off getting the Linkysys

Answers on a postcard....

Any wireless router will work just fine. You do not need to buy one specifically from UTV/eircom/etc. There are many, better, cheaper routers available than that UTV one.
    Yes, you will need a card (be it USB or Pci, doesnt really matter) for your computer.
    If you use a laptop, you might allready have one built in.

The one Ulster have has a built in modem and if anything where to f**k up at least I have some kind of support

Have to get a usb card as could not be arsed opening up PC

Advertisement