Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who deserves the accolade of the best Rock / Metal band?

Options
  • 02-08-2005 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

I have weighing up this question in my mind for quite a while, I cant decide who its gotta to be. I have always thought that it had to be someone for 60's/70's era's. I have only recently got into slayer, metallica, megadeth and sepultura and I also enjoy the offerings from Mastodon , Lamb of God and Mudvayne.

But just last week I got Deep Purple live going quite back , by god do they rock so much, and also recently I got two of their classic albums in fireball and machinehead. Basically I cant decide and I'd like to know what you guys believe the best rock/metal band.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

There is no best. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Surely there must be one who outshines all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I`d agree there is no best.Different eras,different styles etc etc.

With regards to Deep Purple live,even to this day hearing "Highway star" makes the hairs o the back of my neck stand up.A truely great rock and roll song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

There is no best, like the man says. Some mean more to me than others though, that's as close to rating music as I can manage. Those bands would include

Black Sabbath (obviously)
    Death (masters of the art)
    Atheist (for making amazing, adventurous music that enthralls constantly)
    Cynic (for pushing the boundaries to the very limit)
    Megadeth (pre 1990)
    Metallica (pre 1990)
    Sleep (for doing it their way)
    Watchtower (for being technical before anyone knew what it was)
    Trouble (for the best riffs not written by Tony Iommi)

with honourable nods to Celtic Frost, Iron Maiden, Guns 'N' Roses, Judas Priest, Morbid Angel, AC/DC, Rush... man the list goes on and on and on. There is so much great music out there, it's just wrong to single out anyone as "the best".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

there is no best there is your favourite,for you they are the best.

slayer,carcass,sepultura etc +infinitum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Have to agree with Doc and the lads,
    ...but no surprises here Rush for me no contest best live act, musicians and sheer quality of their albums , many of the rest have been major influenced by them but again it's who's yer fave that may well dictate.

Don't forget Jethro Tull a legendary name - legendary Ian Anderson Playing flute standing on one leg - an historic musical icon if ever there was one :)... theyve done more or less everything at this stage a truly great band .

ciao'..amigos...Baggio

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah - there is no *best* - but I would say if there were it'd have to be along the lines of Deep Purple, Zeppelin, Sabbath, AC/DC, Priest, Madien, Metallica, RATM or System of a Down. And that's only what I can think of in 2 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Willem D wrote:
    Nope, its a fact. Try to find one and it will end in a flaming argument that will eventually be locked!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭eyebrows

Willem D wrote:

yeah that would be Guns N' Roses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭veryslowey

its just sabbath lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

veryslowey wrote:
    its just sabbath lads

I think in terms of "best band", if you had ask nearly every successful rock group over the past 20-30 years, it would be the band who had influenced them most and I would tend to think that Black sabbath would be the most mentioned band.

For me, the best bands are Slayer, Metallica (pre-Load era), Megadeth (pre-Cryptic Writings), Sepultura, Pantera and System of a Down with honourable mentions for White Zombie, RATM and Soundgarden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

music is just an opinion and my opinion is always right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mist

its all about the Sabbath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

AC/DC win this all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Personally I would go for the DC, put a cd of theirs on and you can guarantee everyone in the room will be rockin.

Personal opinion tho, everyone is different

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I have been meaning for a while to pick up a few dc albums I have only recently started to listen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

ahem zeppelin! here ppl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

Thank you Danny, a little bit of sense brought to the thread.

Zeppelin deserved a mention, but i agree there is no best, different styles for different people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

i think Sepultura are being forgotten about here.and pantera

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

My vote goes to Yes. They take rock to the next level. Their songs are epic, emotional and often beautiful. I love them so much.

Other mentions go to:
    Jethro Tull
    Kansas
    Journey
    Boston
    Chicago
    Rush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Too many different styles, too many different sub-genres contained within the all-embracing category of "Rock/Metal".
    Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Guns n' Roses, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden...

All exceptional bands, but different styles, and incomparable.

Advertisement