Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S60 query

Options
  • 02-08-2005 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

I am changing my car within the next few month. Have been told by the leasing company that the Volvo S60 diesel is not suitable for high mileage over a short space of time (ie 100K in 2 years). They claim the car will be noticably sluggish and handling will disimprove after 60 to 70 K.
    Does anybody have any experience regarding this. I need to get back to them over the next day or so to either go ahead or change type of car. I have had an A4 for 2 years and have had no major problems (apart from the seat having no lumbar support).

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

never heard of a thing like it,

as long as the car gets serviced when its due by the dealer it should be fine.

P.S most of the modern volvos are based on fords so, servicing to some extent should be rather cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

From experience, leasing companies know a lot about money and not much about cars. The S60 is well able for high mileage and in D5 format is plenty quick. As with all diesels it runs out of puff early in the rev range but the bottom-end grunt more than makes up for it if you want to make fast progress. I just drove one from Galway to Belfast and back in the same day, arriving reasonably fresh after what I consider a pig of a journey. Don't expect front tyres to last more than 8-10k mls, don't expect the high side-hips not to get dented in car parks and don't listen to the leasing company if you really want one. A mate of mine is on his third S60 - he does very high mileage and swears by the Volvos ability to get the job done.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

What that person told you from the finance company is absolute rubbish. Miles are miles and your car won't care when you do them or over what period of time. As a previous poster pointed out, if you get the car serviced on time you'll have no issues. In fact if you get at least the oil changed every 8-10k which is likely to be more frequent to what the dealer recommends, it will increase your fuel efficiency and help your engine run like clockwork for it's lifetime with you. But don't miss any service. Do it on the button, decide to change the oil frequently and don't miss that schedule either. Cars will last, but you do have to mind them carefully.

Handling disimproving? He hasn't a clue. If you do main road/motorway driving most of the time, very little should go wrong. If you are obviously battering the car on bad roads you'll eventually have small problems, but that's nothing to do with high mileage in a short space of time. That's just life.

Remember a car's lifetime is based on miles, not time.

The S60 D5 is a fine machine. Very comfortable and has nice power too. If it's the new D5 you will be getting somewhere around 180bhp compared with 163bhp in the last gen one. The engine whines though which I'm not keen on, but to be honest you'd get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

Thanks for your help gentlemen. I had a quick sit in the S60 today, it is a beauty but the head room seems a touch limited. I am slightly over 6 foot and reckon their was < 1/2 inch clearance between the top of my head and the roof. The seats wern't standard seats so I dunno if this is always the case. Will test drive next week and will find out more. The leasing company have pointed to a low residual value of the car when compared to Audi, BMW etc which they claim shows that the motor industry does't believe the cars age well. Mechanically I believe the car will do the 40 to 45K per year no probs, but will the interior stand up to the mileage. I could do without squeaks, rattles etc as I spend hours on end in the car.

Thanks again for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

40-45k miles a year.

What is it that you do lad. Thats alot.

Public Transport??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

kluivert wrote:
    40-45k miles a year.

What is it that you do lad. Thats alot.

Public Transport??

I'm in sales, covering the entire Ireland (main office in Dublin & herself in Cork). All adds up (keeping BIK to a minimum though)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

If headroom is a problem you can drop the seat lower. I have a 03 petrol automatic, love it. I do about 35k miles per year, and I am converted for life. Try not to fall asleep on long journeys, silent car and cruise control!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

s60 "Long vehicle" girders in transport!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

kaiphas wrote:
    . Have been told by the leasing company that the Volvo S60 diesel is not suitable for high mileage over a short space of time (ie 100K in 2 years). ,

More likely that there isn't a good S/Hand market for very high mileage Volvos, and that they'd get a better resale price from a more conventional model

stratos wrote:
    s60 "Long vehicle" girders in transport!
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

The S60 has sips. Side impact protection, which involves welding railway tracks inside the doors :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

kaiphas wrote:
    ...Have been told by the leasing company that the Volvo S60 diesel is not suitable for high mileage over a short space of time (ie 100K in 2 years). They claim the car will be noticably sluggish and handling will disimprove after 60 to 70 K....

What has how sluggish a car is, or the handling got to do with the leasing company? They make more money from other brands. Theres no other reason.

stratos wrote:
    The S60 has sips. Side impact protection, which involves welding railway tracks inside the doors :)

Well you live and learn.

Advertisement