Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many hours?

• 02-08-2005 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

How many hours do you work for in Science Degree in Trinity?
    How many hourse is a B.A Moderarteship Eg. Ancinet History and Greek?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Evernal wrote:
    How many hourse is a B.A Moderarteship Eg. Ancinet History and Greek?

with science it's about the same as engineering, expect lectures untill sfive or six, with labs on a friday(they love the friday labs) untill five. Then expect to spend a couple hours a night in the library

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Evernal wrote:

If you consider it work you're not cut out for it :p

Seriously though it's about 27 hours a week for the first two years of science if I can remember correctly. Last two years are much shorter hours (longest week I had was 20 hours I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Shadowlands

How many hours a week for law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

How many hours a week for law?

Hmmm, don't know if many law-ites post here. I do know that they have what seem like short hours compared to science, something like maybe 10/12 a week, but have a lot of reading to do so are big time library bunnies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭young nastyman

8 hours of lectures (2 hours per subject) a week

a one-hour seminar in each subject every fortnight. They only happen in the 1st and 2nd terms and start 3 weeks into the term. You only have 6 in each subject overall during the year.

a one-hour legal writing/research seminar every fortnight throughout the year.

there's also an obscene amount of assigned reading, the vast majority of which is leave-out-able!!

• Advertisement

sounds very doable. i'm the queen of assigned reading, i'm a speed reader.

yup, it is highly doable...even without doing the reading...which i left out!

you'll love it! especially if you're the "queen of assigned reading"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

About law: 2 x 4 plus odds and ends, as the nastyman says. You'll do well if you can set your own schedule and get on top of things early. I.e. some people had a habit of reading for an hour every day, others did an afternoon in 'the pit' (the main seating area in the law section of the library) and blitzed through stuff, etc. I've known quite a few people who end up doing a full week's hours (i.e. 6-7 hours a day) but it really depends on your own working method and ability to pick out the important bits from 120 pages of nonsense!

EduCat wrote:
    'the pit' (the main seating area in the law section of the library) QUOTE]

the main chatting area more like!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Seriously. Have a story? Telephone, telegraph, tell a law student.

When bored, I used to just go from table to table in there talking to people (quietly of course ;) ) cause there'd always be at least 20 people you knew trying to get some work done, and there was a moral obligation to distract them.

When I was a wee first year, Classics was in the section off to the side (i.e where some of the English reports, Irish statutes etc are living now) and it was an official 'silent area' (written communication only, no whispers) that was actually enforced sometimes by stern looking Latin students. Such a bad idea to put them beside the lawyers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I'd agree with what Educat and Nastyman say. I found that I did very little work during the year and cramed towards the end, although I wouldn't suggest it, to coin a phrase, it is do-able

Those hours sound insanely easy. I told my dad how many hours I would be doing, with reading and seminars and he was shocked. He went to St. Pat's college for teacher training and says he never knew anyone who had so little to do. Now, he's going on about this - "what am I even paying for?" LOL, amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Personally i think its a bad sign if ye even think to ask how many hours your going to have. Its irrelvent, if you like a subject you shouldn't mind any number of hours, so wouldn't be top of the list of things to ask.............

EduCat wrote:
    and it was an official 'silent area' (written communication only, no whispers)!

the real 'silent area' is over by the official publications...any noise made there will be greeted by a bitchy stare or a snooty comment.

and your hours work will excede any other arts student so your daddy need not worry.

Personally i think its a bad sign if ye even think to ask how many hours your going to have. Its irrelvent, if you like a subject you shouldn't mind any number of hours, so wouldn't be top of the list of things to ask.............

I just was curious. I would actually like more hours. I always, nerdy as it sounds, liked school, and when I'm working on any subject that I'm interested in - such as law - the hours fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Gwyllin

How many hours are there for students of Modern Irish and Italian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

EduCat wrote:
    When I was a wee first year, Classics was in the section off to the side (i.e where some of the English reports, Irish statutes etc are living now) and it was an official 'silent area' (written communication only, no whispers) that was actually enforced sometimes by stern looking Latin students. Such a bad idea to put them beside the lawyers!

How times change.... the 4th floor of the Ussher, despite having a reputation for being a good place to study, is an absolute nightmare, filled with evil interlopers from other disciplines. Seriously, during the course of a single month last year I saw paper airplane fights, mess (physical) fights, full-blown conversations, lengthy phone conversations, and even sex acts. And woe betide the person who tells someone to STFU.

to the OP: Arts subjects generally have less hours than Science subjects but that's mainly because you're expected to do loads of reading in your free time. Most people have anything up to 14 or 15 hours in their first year and usually around 10 in subsequent years. To take your specific example, if you did AHA and Greek, you'd have 10 hours in 1st year, 14 hours in 2nd and 3rd year, and 4 hours in 4th year (when you major in one of the subjects), but that's a special case because there's a lot of overlap between the subjects in 1st year. It all depends on what course you're doing. I think some of the departmental websites give an idea of the kind of hours you'd have.

(also I agree with Shadowlands - wish I had more hours of class than I do.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Dossers the whole ****ing lot of you!

Jaysus - 8 hours A WEEK!

I did 30-40 as a med student, increasing in my final year and then study on top of that!

Currently, I work 60-85 hours per week with study on top of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

do you still have to go the library in in the tcd health centre?

Can't really - my bleep has a tendency to go off randomly for crap that I already know about or could wait and it is disruptive to the rest of the library.........

• Advertisement

put a hankey around it, does it do vibrate?

No, just a REALLY loud beep-beep Beep-Beep BEEP-BEEP BEEEEEP-BEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEP-BEEEEEEEEEP

It gets annoying after a while and whenever one goes off, everyone in the room instinctively checks theirs......

The worst of ALL is the Cardiac Arrest Bleep - it talks to you. It goes BeeBeeBeeBee. Cardiac Arrest on ***** Ward Cardiac Arrest on ***** Ward. BeeBeeBeeBee Cardiac Arrest on ***** Ward Cardiac Arrest on ***** Ward.

****E! ****! ****!

This continues 4 times after you stop it. It woke me up from sleep at 5am on wednesday morning and I sprinted hell on leather half blind from sleep and mostly dressed through the hospital, with one of the nurses spotting me bombing at her as she leapt dramatically out of the way.

****E! There is NO ruder awakening......

Unfortunately, the person didn't have a heart rhythm from which he could be resuscitated and was declared officially dead after about 20 minutes of the attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

WOW, that sounds really exciting but would imagine get real annoying real fast. I wish I was important enough to have a beeper

must be tough when a patient dies though, i wonder what it would be like if it was actually someone you knew, and if you made a mistake they could die....it's so much responsibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Kappar wrote:
    WOW, that sounds really exciting but would imagine get real annoying real fast. I wish I was important enough to have a beeper

I get annoyed enough sometimes when my phone rings - especially at the moment as it has a habit of loudly getting text messages in the small hours, waking me up. These are text messages that were sent HOURS ago. The phone is now on silent.

At least when my phone rings i'm not expected to rush off and try and save someone's life....

Something that hasn't really been mentioned so far in this thread about hours, in science (for the first couple of years anyway) there isn't that much extra reading that needs to be done, everything i studied (or was supposed to be studying) was covered in lectures, so it was a matter of going over my lecture notes and maybe reading the odd chapter of a textbook or looking at cool applet-y graphs online. Labs were the only exception as sometimes we'd do a lab on something, have to research the theory, write it up and then cover it in lectures 3 months later. Arts (huge generalisation here) have a lot more reading around the subject.

I've declared 2 people dead changed 3 people to palliative care only so far. Its tough and always puts me in a down mood for the rest of the day, but its life and when it ends, it ends.....

well fair play because it's a certainely a difficult job, one which i don't think i could do.

punka wrote:
    ...mess (physical) fights, full-blown conversations, lengthy phone conversations, and even sex acts.

All this in public, meaning really in front of other people??

What is the STFU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

stfu=shut the **** up

yup, it happened late one night in the ussher. i was the only other person on the floor. probably shouldn't have turned around when i heard the slurping noises but there ya go.

• Advertisement

There you go.. A prime example that being educated doesn't mean you've got wits!

Advertisement