Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting on broadband

• 02-08-2005 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

My parents are seriously lookin at broadband now so i am gathering all of the necisary info.We have no form of broadband at the moment .We are on Eircom 60 at the moment.We have two phone lines coming from one box in the house.

The court case thing that s happening between smart and eircom will that affect me?
    Do you first ask eircom to shut down your line or do you go straight to smart?

If it is not possible to get smart on one line and keep eircom on the otherwill both lines be left as they are or is it possible that something could happen causing the line to go down (this is important as one of the lines is a business line)?

Do you install everything yourself and is it easy or hard?

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Cheers

christophicus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

You go straight to Smart. If Smart has enabled your exchange, that is. NTL has a lot of coverage in Waterford, might want to check them out. Otherwise, BT Ireland has a big following around here.

I believe the implication of the court case for you is that you will get a new phone number from Smart as they can't port the number with Eircom's existing processes.

As for installation, you plug in the ADSL router and your phone in a filter and connect the filter to the phone socket and you're off. The ADSL provider supplies router (or modem) and the filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yeah I really like the look of the NTL packagebut it is too expensive.And yes me exchange is enabled.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yeah I really like the look of the NTL packagebut it is too expensive.And yes me exchange is enabled.

1m/100k @ €25 is too expensive? It is the cheapest BB product in Ireland.

And don't forget that the price includes a free engineer install, equipment and 3 months free at 3m/300k (which normally costs €45).

They also have 2m/200 for €35

As you can see I quiet like NTL and I highly recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

NTL if you can get it !

bk wrote:
    1m/100k @ €25 is too expensive? It is the cheapest BB product in Ireland.

And don't forget that the price includes a free engineer install, equipment and 3 months free at 3m/300k (which normally costs €45).

They also have 2m/200 for €35

As you can see I quiet like NTL and I highly recommend it.

Yes but you see with smart you get free line rental for the phone line so thats a saving of €25,whereas if i went with ntl i would have to get an keep my eircom phoneline.NTL arent THAT much better then Smart are they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

Yes but you see with smart you get free line rental for the phone line so thats a saving of €25,whereas if i went with ntl i would have to get an keep my eircom phoneline.NTL arent THAT much better then Smart are they?

Get NTL, ditch your phoneline, and get blueface VoIP. You'll be saving even more money on your phone bill. www.blueface.ie

Ok whats the story with this I have heard about it before,what do you do?do you have it aswell as ntl?

Can you get it anwhere that you can get NTL?this still costs more then smart even with the €5 per month price.

Sorry to bump this thread but i didnt want to start a new one.

Does anyone know if it is possible to pay smart any other way then direct debit,for example at the post office or by check?everyones help is much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

only method to pay smart is via direct debit or credit card, no exceptions as far as i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

i have smart just for calls and i pay in the post office ,you can also pay online , i presume its the same for bb

from smart site
    a. Cheque - Post
    b. An-Post - Slip provided on your invoice
    c. Credit or Laser Card - Phone our Customer Service Department
    d. Direct Debit - Complete mandate provided
    e. Banking on-line - Request through your bank.

• Advertisement
Advertisement