Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Head-Unit, DVD MP3

Options
  • 03-08-2005 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

I'm geting a new head unit soon. This is what I want it to do....

o Play cds
    o Play MP3s off a CD
    o Play MP3s off a DVD
    o Doesn't need to play back movies
    o Displays artist/track from the MP3 tags (or directory structure)
    o Search by artist/album/track without too much trouble
    o Looks don't really matter - but would prefer it in black !! :rolleyes:

Does anyone know of a good place where I could go to look at/hear head-units in action ?

I'm looking at these two:

Sony MEX-R1 <--- Prefer this one
    JVC KD-DV6101

Neither of these seem to display the title of the MP3s that they are playing.

Advice appreciated !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

From the sony link you provided:
    ID3 Tag display (Track, Artist, Album name)

I'm sure the JVC displays mp3 tags also, at that price it ought to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Thanks - should have read the specs of the Sony a bit better.

I'm not sure about the JVC one though - the letters on the display look a bit big on any pic I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

i have the jvc 6101 myself and its pretty good.it displays id3 tags,although it displays them very slowly across the screen.i got it a few months ago before the sony one came out .for some reason you cannot fast forward mp3 tracks,while you can for movies. i think you can ffw with the sony which is a plus.i installed a
    7" monitor http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4566269834&category=38775&rd=1
    to go with it yesterday which i got for 125 euro in auction off this seller ,who i would recommend .if you have a free din available its a good buy i think. the monitor i got is silver as no black units were in stock at the time .do you know of any black plastic you could stick over it,or even spray it,as is stands out alot in my car.with the monitor it shows artist playing ,album etc. as well next 5 albums.

mayto, the lcd screen on the JVC looks a bit clunky - how many characters can be displayed - is it constantly scrolling the song titles back and forth ?

also, how easy is it to search for album or artist ?

i have a link here http://books.jvcservice.com/booklist.asp?Model=KD-ADV6160J for us version of the unit , could not find any other. same as eu one i guess except the sirius sat radio they have. you can set display to auto (scrolls across every so often i think) or scroll once .i am not sure if you can search for album by name.you can scroll to next/previous album with one button,and search within that album for songs with another.very east to navigate i find.have a look at technikdirekt.de http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/page.xp?pageid={AA940E3D-06D5-4FC7-A88D-269E63A5438C}&SESSIONID=O/E1TBBYXQANRYIGXSCVXT&DS=1&TS=0304050904&history=set
    as they have loads of in-dash dvd stereo's at really good prices .they sell the 6101 for 299 ,or the jvc 5101(its same as the 6101 except you cannot add dab unit i think,the picture is wrong as unit looks identical to the 6101) you can get the sony mex-r1 http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/page.xp?pageid={AA940E3D-06D5-4FC7-A88D-269E63A5438C}&SESSIONID=O/E1TBBYXQANRYIGXSCVXT&DS=1&TS=0304050537&type=focus&doctype=article&focus=745029&focuslayout=full5&focuslayout=full5&history=add&viewmode=search
    for 275 euro incl. delivery .thats a real bargain.i ordered a pioneer dvd home cinema kit off them last year and delivery is only 22 euro. they are very good company and highly recommend them.

• Advertisement

thanks for those links the sony is €40 cheaper than on pixmania (which was the cheapest I could find!)

stupid question:

how does the unit fit into the dash ? I have an A3 - the place where the factory fitted head unit fits isn't square, the edges are slightly angled ?

Do I have to get a piece to fit around the new head-unit for a snug fit ?

Do you know of anyone who would fit this for me? I'm useless at this stuff - maybe I'll try installing it myself.

Alpine DVA-9965R

not due out till October - not sure what it will cost, but it can also control my ipod

you get a type of metal sleeve which you put into the din space.if you take out your hu i would imagine it is din size.a mouldered bit of plastic then fits around the unit hiding the din sleeve .it really is simple to install a hu yourself.you should only have to connect the aerial connector and an iso connector,thats it.have a look at any instillation manual and all is explained.

Advertisement