Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

x850xt cheaper than x800xt?

Options
  • 03-08-2005 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Im in the market for a new graphics card and Im a bit confused over what I have found.
    Asus x850xt 256mb = 304.15 EUR
    Sapphire x800xt 256mb = 329.18 EUR

My brain tells me that x850xt is better than x800xt, so why is it cheaper? Is the x800xt better quality or is it bundled with loads of software? Maybe theres something I'm missing here but it seems strange to me. :confused:

PS: I have 300 clams to blow on a card. Recommendations with linkage appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

The x800 form what i can see is VIVO and also has the full software pack. VIVO the main difference anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Ah thats it. Performance wise, which is better? x850xt i presume? Am i getting best bang per buck on the x850xt or is there something else out there worth looking at? Sorry for all the questions but I have a feeling you guys have a fair idea about this :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'd say the x850 is better, but i'm still using a 9800 pro here, well actually its a shameful mx440 in this computer, :)
    Probably higher core speeds.
    Seems like 500 on the x800 and 520 on the x850

Looks like it will be the x850xt so. Thanks Explosive Cornflake. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Loobz wrote:
    Looks like it will be the x850xt so. Thanks Explosive Cornflake. ;)

Are you going to order from them ?
    Im intrested in ordering the same card. And would go halfs on postage if you like. I live in waterford myself.

• Advertisement

I have no credit card mate. Im gonna bum a credit card from a work mate. How much is delivery from them and how long does it usually take?

And another question, am I getting best value for money with that card? If there is something else out there for the same price thats better than that x850xt, please let me know. Thanks for all info so far... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Get the x800XL, the VIVO functionality is nice to have, and the core and mem clocks can be overclocked easily to 850XT speeds.

{edit}Unless you've no use for VIVO, in which case go with the 850xt and save your 30euro. Read reviews ofeach card and see if one comes out over the other conclusively.{/edit}

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Loobz wrote:
    And another question, am I getting best value for money with that card? If there is something else out there for the same price thats better than that x850xt, please let me know. Thanks for all info so far... ;)

ya i have an X850XT its the sceond best card out there, the only thing better is the Nivida 7800 which cost an insane amount of money. although it wont be long until ATi release there new card which will drive the old prices down a bit more, so it might be worth it to wait.

jessy wrote:
    although it wont be long until ATi release there new card which will drive the old prices down a bit more, so it might be worth it to wait.

When buying a graphics card, you could wait till the cows come home for prices to drop and new cards replacing older models. Theres a new one released every month nowadays so Im gonna bite the bullet now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I dont think you can order from them with a credit card if you could i would do so right away. There postage i think is around 36euros well this is what i have been told. They dont take paypal so i guess you have to go to your bank and get a bank transerfer or something.

The 850XT is a great card the only better card on the ait range would be the 850XT PE edition.

Core is at 520 and ram set to 1080, But on and ATI800XL card the core is set to 400 and ram at 980. Im pritty sure you cant clock the XL to the 850XT speeds unless you do some fansy cooling. My brother has the XL card and he cant.

Yep. Looks like they dont accept credit cards. Where do I get the details so I can do a bank transfer or something. Half the site is in English and the other German. They mentioned something about 'Money Order' - is this like a Bank Draft or can I wire the money straight to their account?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

How we doing Loobz mate? I tend to read tomshardware before I buy anything these days!

here s a good summer 2005 articel Loobz

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050705/index.html

I look for OC ability
    FPS in my favouirte games
    Power !! thats a think to make sure you got ! some new cards are very demanding!
    Also, make sure its an nvidia lol

I got a 6800 Ultra OC from BFG, here is a Ultra review :- http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040414/index.html

D

btw my next rig will have a ATI

Drapper wrote:
    How we doing Loobz mate? I tend to read tomshardware before I buy anything these days!

here s a good summer 2005 articel Loobz

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050705/index.html

I look for OC ability
    FPS in my favouirte games
    Power !! thats a think to make sure you got ! some new cards are very demanding!
    Also, make sure its an nvidia lol

D

Drapper, im keeping well bud. I had a look at that link earlier and it looks like the card im gonna get done very well in all tests. So long as I can see the tear in your eye through the cockpit as I take you down in BF2, i'll be happy. lol.

Im trying to make sense of zee German on Jes. Looks like they accept cash on delivery? It would be handy to just give the delivery guy the money?

Drapper wrote:
    btw my next rig will have a ATI

Good man. :D

Did you try Pixmania? they only charge 15 yoyos for delivery!

got my Monitor from them ;-)

and my GFX on Ebay for 1/2 the proce in the shop from a shop in the US ! (never had to pay duty)

as for Bf2 keep your flares button close to your eject one on your new joystick!! lol

click the link

Thanks for the info Drapper. I think im gonna stick with Jes if I can figure out the following:

1) How do I pay them?
    2) How long does delivery usually take to Ireland?

Maybe its just me but the site isnt that clear. :(

Ok, Ive just placed an order with Jes for the x850xt. Its 'Pending' at the moment. I presume I will receive an email with their bank details so I can transfer money from my bank acc to theirs? Or else an address so I can send a Bank Draft? I placed order about 15 mins ago and no email yet - Im confident I will receive one, and hopefully it will be in English :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Hi Loobz I'm interested in how you get on with Jes too as I may be looking for one of those X850XT's as well. Let me know how the payment works when the sale goes though if you can.

thanks

ding

Sweet, I get to be the guinea pig! lol
    Well so far Ive had no email to confirm the order. Its 'Pending' on my Account with Jes. It is Friday however so we will see what happens ove the weekend.
    Im surprised that Ive had no response from fellow techheads about delivery etc that I previously posted here. I presume Im not the only one who ordered stuff from Jes. Probably all busy voiding their warranties no doubt, lol :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Loobz wrote:
    When buying a graphics card, you could wait till the cows come home for prices to drop and new cards replacing older models. Theres a new one released every month nowadays so Im gonna bite the bullet now. :)

This is very true, but its not what i meant, ATi next Generation Cards will be out very shortly not another Variant of the x8* cards, and if the rumors are correct you could be looking at more than twice the performance of current cards plus it will support PS 2 which will make a massive difference in upcoming games. but in saying that the X850XT is an amazing Card which can handle anything thrown at it, for now anyway.

jessy wrote:
    This is very true, but its not what i meant, ATi next Generation Cards will be out very shortly not another Variant of the x8* cards
    Ooh, I didnt realise. I will stick with my x850xt for now. It will be the last AGP card I buy - next time around it will be PCI-e or SLi. Im not ready for such an upgrade yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Loobz, I've dealt with Jes, as have many people here on boards. I presume you transfered money through their IBAN service? Anyways, delivery on my order of about 15 items took roughly 10 working days. Excellent packaging and good sales support. Most prices beat Komplett but it's good to shop around too. Hope that allays any fears you might have ;)

Fidelis wrote:
    Loobz, I've dealt with Jes, as have many people here on boards. I presume you transfered money through their IBAN service? Anyways, delivery on my order of about 15 items took roughly 10 working days. Excellent packaging and good sales support. Most prices beat Komplett but it's good to shop around too. Hope that allays any fears you might have ;)

That info does help. Thanks. I think I have to transfer money to the following:

Kontonummer: xx xxx xxx
    BLZ: xxx xxx xx
    Raiffeisenbank Weissacher Tal eG

What do I put on the transfer? My name, or the name of the part Im ordering? Im just wondering will they know the transfer is from me?

|Edit: I think Ive cracked it! I found a Customer number and Order ID.
    'and you indicate the following data as intended purpose:'- loose translation using Babelfish. :p

so you goona make it to Darkside LAn with your new GFX card?

:-)

(I'll still whip your bf2 arche)

Advertisement