Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain Re-Direction - !?!?!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

sticker wrote:
    What's another cheap option (setting aside pimping!) for hosting locally?

DirectNic are charging me €15 for temp domain www.westmanstown.com and €15 for bannerless hosting...

You prob'ly won't get the hosting that cheap locally, but you could easily go for a US company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

rsynnott wrote:
    You prob'ly won't get the hosting that cheap locally, but you could easily go for a US company.

What should I ask for to guarantee the re-direction? Or is it as simple as that?!!

sticker wrote:
    What should I ask for to guarantee the re-direction? Or is it as simple as that?!!

You'll need a host who provides DNS. That's about the size of it. Set the DNS servers for your domain to that host's servers, and you're away. Depending on the services provided by your registar, you mightn't even need that, in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

sticker wrote:
    It's a pity, I've five sites currently being hosted with DirectNic and never had a problem with them...

I'll talk to the client and maybe suggest we go elsewhere (don't fancy going with Eircom to host!)

Any suggestions of a reasonably priced hosting service that I CAN re-direct the .ie domain to?!

Thanks again...

yeah, webhost.ie is a company I use. Awesome back up service and excellent support. Never had a problem in the last 3 1/2 years.

Simplest fix (temporarily) is to redirect from one server to the other by using an index.html re-direct
    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="0;url=http://www.Your Domain Name Here.com/";target="_top">
    <TITLE>
    Redirecting to Your Domain Name
    </TITLE>
    </HEAD>
    </HTML>

However, if your dns forwarding is not set up correctly, as is what seems to be suggested, that will keep looping back to the Eircon server. The fix for this lies with the registry (.ie). They need to change the canical address to point to the new dns address. It has nothing to do with Eircon or your new hosts.

For the site to be found, it requests the information via the registry. The registry says that can be found at xxx dns server. You are then sent to the respective server under the relevant i.p. address. It then looks for your folder under that i.p. address and then finds and displays the index.

Your problem here seems to be that the .ie domain is not being forwarded at registry level. For the domain name to be forwarded to the new server the information held there or the 'I.P' address that www.Your Domain Name.ie is held under is there. It is doing it's job correctly by forwarding any requests for 'www.Your Domain.ie' to the Eircon dns server I.P. address. It needs to be changed to your new dns server i.p. address.

As stated, this can take upto 72 hrs to take effect but can be quicker, depends how long it takes for the search engines to pick up the change.

Contact the registra and have them change the the i.p. address that your canocal name is resolving to.

smeggle wrote:
    yeah, webhost.ie is a company I use. Awesome back up service and excellent support. Never had a problem in the last 3 1/2 years.

Ah, them. Most majestically dreadful control panel in human history.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

For the record, the OP's client wants to be able to browse the site from the gardaclub.ie domain name, and wants the search engines to be able to spider it, so redirection or frame forwarding won't cut it. He needs a host that doesn't require domain registration/transfer, and will handle IE. (Many won't handle ccTLDs because... well, because they're stupid.) There's probably a few out there, it's just not a field I want to get into.

adam

rsynnott wrote:
    Ah, them. Most majestically dreadful control panel in human history.

Never had a problem myself and I only use the control panel for making db's and checking stats other than that I just use ftp. Whilst the panel is a bit more to get used to than control panel, that slight let down is more than adequately made up for by there exceptional bckup. I just phone and anything I need is done within the hr! or by e-mail? usually with 2-3hrs. Rarely I've waited longer than that. IMHO a far superier and personal service.

Other than that I wouldn't recommend any Irish company as price wise they just cannot compete against the likes of Rackspace or eagerhost, In server size, bandwidth or support!

I use webhost.ie for my local testing etc and every thing else is on eagerhost.

Personal preference it may be but there is no way I would pay for the rip of double priced Irish hosting operators dedicated servers/bandwidth most of which is a broken up cluster in England or the U.S. barring of course exclusive operators such as hosting365 who are to expensive in comparison.

Sorry if that offends anyone but the comparisons are there and I did look at there service to see how they compared. I stayed where I was because I get more space and 3 times the bandwidth for what they charge for there basic 500meg package and thats before looking at database/addons/e-mail/ all of which are more extensive.

So control panel aside they are the more finacially viable package In Ireland and offer a more extensive package along with full support.

Hmm, my personal experience of them, when I had the misfortune to do maintainance on a website hosted with them was:
    - Nighmare control panel which required Internet Explorer (and was a nightmare even then; I gather that it at least works on some other browsers now)

- Moved MySQL databases without adaquate warning

- General sluggishess

That said, I may just have been unlucky, apart from Satan's own control panel.

yeah I've moaned at dave a couple of times to change to c-panel which is much better and easier to understand (and use) but like I say, other than that I haven't found a comparable service in Ireland for value/service package so I'm prepared to learn a little extra and 3 times the bandwidth and double the space of the nearest comparable host (hosting365) at the same price! I also get 20 times more Data Bases, more e-mail accounts and I know that if I miss a server backup the server is backed up 'in-house' every sunday.
    Any domain I want is usually active within 24hrs of order, so yeah, learn to use ftp instead of the control panel, easier anyway IMHO and you get more for the same money and better value for my money is what I look for.

What there charging 239.40 for (19.95 pr mnth) 500mb space, 5gb traffic, Host 5 Websites / Domains, Frontpage 2003, 5 MySQL Databases, 5 PostgreSQL Databases.

As against webhost.ie? for 230 pr year I get the e-commerce solution which is 1gb space, 15gb transfer, can deginately host more than 5 websites (I even do on there 500mb package), 100db's, cgi, 500e-mail address + a host of other stuff and OSCommerce if I want it. I also have full access to 128bit if I want or need it for running secure scripts.

There comparable package to hosting365 is the business user account at 16.50 pr mnth u get 500mb space, 10gb traffic, 250 e-mails, mysql support, frontpage support, wap support, ftp, cgi, microsoftxml support, odbc support/quota, plus a host of other services like smtp mail server (why anyone wants one is beyond me as well but it's there if u do lol).

No offence to hosting365 but all in all there are better prices out there if you look into all the options.

You still will not compete against the U.S. or Mainland Europe or even the U.K. as prices currently stand.

Personally, I think the same will happen with Broadband. I allready use a Satelite service and as this year was a rush job just to get online, I used an Irish company and I'd love to stay with an Irish company but simple economics force me to look elsewhere.

In doing so, I find that I can get 'Unlimited' download speeds in excess of any thing currently being offered in Ireland at half the cost and via an ordinary bloody sky dish! Thats when I start to get slightly irritated with the likes of big companies such as Eircon, BT, etc...

smeggle wrote:

Personally, I think the same will happen with Broadband. I allready use a Satelite service and as this year was a rush job just to get online, I used an Irish company and I'd love to stay with an Irish company but simple economics force me to look elsewhere.

In doing so, I find that I can get 'Unlimited' download speeds in excess of any thing currently being offered in Ireland at half the cost and via an ordinary bloody sky dish! Thats when I start to get slightly irritated with the likes of big companies such as Eircon, BT, etc...

Satellite internet is only a last resort.

As to the thing with that webhosting company, I was only giving my opinion. I wouldn't touch them in a million years.

• Advertisement

rsynnott wrote:
    Satellite internet is only a last resort.

As to the thing with that webhosting company, I was only giving my opinion. I wouldn't touch them in a million years.

We'll just have to agree to dis-agree lol ;):D

...After conatacting Eircom to enquire about them hosting the site, they said 250 meg would be €199 inc VAT, that they had a package for a .ie domain and the same amount of space for €203 inc VAT. I pointed out that the client already owned the domain through them, and would expect a refund of sorts seeing as they already paid for the domain, They wouldn't entertain any degree of refund, so I've been instructed by the client to go elsewhere (quite rightly) I've been on on Webhost.ie and finally I'll have a supportive home for the site! It'll be €60 for webhost to host - quite the drop down...

The Eircom sales guy actually tried to convince me they're packages were quite competitive!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Eircom In Lying Shock!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

sticker wrote:
    I've been on on Webhost.ie and finally I'll have a supportive home for the site! It'll be €60 for webhost to host - quite the drop down...

And you could have done better :)
    sticker wrote:
    The Eircom sales guy actually tried to convince me they're packages were quite competitive!!

That's their job.
    Realistically they can no longer compete. They don't offer perl, php or database support nor do they offer any control panel.

On the database side Access and MSDE / MS SQL are only available under windows,

Since when? I run php/my sql from a windows based server.

374yoyo's for 400megs of space/8 gigs transfer? I get over double that with more features than you list for a third less price (on a windows based server). Your enterprise package which is comparable via 1gig space but 3 gigs less bandwidth is nearly double what I'm currently paying.

Sorry to use your stuff in comparison but you did say sticker could have done better. Judging by the evidence I'd say he/she has done fairly ok.

psst: if u need help with that pesky control panel give a shout - it's not that hard really when you get your head around it - just rely more on ftp is all ;)

smeggle wrote:
    psst: if u need help with that pesky control panel give a shout - it's not that hard really when you get your head around it - just rely more on ftp is all ;)

Hmm. My problem with it is that it's painfully slow, unintuitive and incompatible, and you're forced to go through it for many things...

rsynnott wrote:
    Hmm. My problem with it is that it's painfully slow, unintuitive and incompatible, and you're forced to go through it for many things...

webalyzer and the stats are pretty straight forward. other stuff just home/shortcuts and you get your main control area for mysql etc.

The mail set up is a pain as is user addition/sub-domains. for files I use ftp.

I agree the panel is slow (Ensimn) and is not very user friendly and I have requested they switch to c-panel myself which is far superior and easier to use, (faster as well) but I'm prepared like I say to suffer that rather than pay nearly double any where else for a similar service. Other than the panel I can't find a fault myself.

I do sympathise with you on the panel though - it can be a pain. :confused: lol :D

Sorted! - The sites being hosted with webhost.ie and Eircom are redirecting.

Cheers all for the help!

Advertisement