Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spiders and other creepy insects

Options
  • 03-08-2005 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

hi,
    I have to admit I don't like creepy crawlies, but my current rented house seems to more than the usual amount. I've laid down ant bait to deal with any ants, just in case, but what treatments can I use to deal with spiders?
    I'd prefer not to fumigate as I don't own the house, but I wouldn't mind sprays and leaving the house for a few days until it works (over a weekend).

Anyone know how to deal with this, as it's beginning to ruin my enjoyment of the place.

Thanks
    Bogger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

i got those high pitched thingys that you plug in. keeps away flies/rodents etc...worked a treat in my house!
    get em in woodys or atlantic!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Divers wrote:
    i got those high pitched thingys that you plug in. keeps away flies/rodents etc...worked a treat in my house! get em in woodys or atlantic!
    I thought they were mainly for vermin like mice and rats. How well do they work for flies? We're plagued with the things ... great big buzzy bluebottles that lay their eggs in the cats' food bowls and they're driving me crazy :eek: !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

according to the boxes, they say for all things like that, and theres little pics of spiders n flies.
    I only got em for the mice, but the worked well..but tis funny, haven't seen any flies or anything like that in my kitchen in ages!

worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Divers wrote:
    according to the boxes, they say for all things like that, and theres little pics of spiders n flies.
    I only got em for the mice, but the worked well..but tis funny, haven't seen any flies or anything like that in my kitchen in ages!

worth a try!
    I've got one for mice too, and while the number of flies is less than I'd expect for this time of year, it don't seem to work on spiders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

I dont think there is really anything you can do to stop spiders other than try to make your house as airtight as you can. I do remember seeing something you can get thats like a slippery sticker you put outside window ledges and other vertical enterences to your house that will stop spiders climbing up as they will slip off but that was a few years ago on some program on rte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Bogger77 wrote:
    I've got one for mice too, and while the number of flies is less than I'd expect for this time of year, it don't seem to work on spiders
    Get rid of the flies and the spiders will die off :D
    We are plagued with littly flies, bably house flies I guess, bloody everywhere
    Everytime I put something in the bin 5 or 6 fly out, and this is the indoor bin!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Bogger77 wrote:
    and while the number of flies is less than I'd expect for this time of year, it don't seem to work on spiders
    that's probably cos the spiders are keeping the fly count down.

I don't mind the odd spider in the house unless the f€cker looks tropical, then they have to go.

Flies, I can't stand, but don't seem to have much trouble with them.
    We have one of those ultrasonic/electro pulse generators in the house for mice so maybe it's working on the flies also. I also take it on foreign holidays and seems to work keeping the mossies away at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just another question on these gizmos to those that have them ... are household pets bothered by them at all? I wouldn't want to annoy our two cats at the same time :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

These devices usually work in 2 ways, an electromagnetic pulse which goes through the electrical wiring, and also ultrasonic noise emitting from the device. They usually advise to turn off the ultrasonic noise if you have small rodent type pets such as gerbils or hamsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

The device we have has also several settings for the ultrasonics, the high-pitched one is supposed to keep the insects away but I could hear actually hear it so we'renot using that particular setting. Our two cats seem to be totally unbothered by it - they also keep the mice away (or bring them in and lose them :D)

• Advertisement
Advertisement