Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband with no phone line

• 03-08-2005 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

can anyone tell me which companies provide the broadband that doesnt require a phone line. i'm trying to go the cheap route of getting rid of the phone line and the 40 euro line rental.
    i know ice do, but their connection fee is a bit extreme for me...

any other ideas would be greatfully recieved! :)
    catho

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Not really the answer you were looking for but what about BT's offer that includes line rental in their package?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

digiweb or clearwire maybe if you are in kildare ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

cheers, looks like clearwire might be a possiblitiy.
    does anyone have any experience with them?

and torque in Kildare too

http://www.torque.ie/Coverage.html

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

You might try http://www.getbroadband.ie/ , this popped up in the papers a few days ago, it's probably been around for ages but I haven't seen anyone mention it yet :)

• Advertisement

CuLT wrote:
    You might try http://www.getbroadband.ie/ , this popped up in the papers a few days ago, it's probably been around for ages but I haven't seen anyone mention it yet :)

cheers, everything there is expensive too!! the cheapest one is 200 euro to install!!!! makes me lose hope (and money) :)

defo looking into torque and clearwire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

cheers, looks like clearwire might be a possiblitiy.
    does anyone have any experience with them?

I have clearwire for about a week. So far, it does exactley what it says on the tin.

However, and there always seems to be one of those these days, I rang their support line today. Got through to a call center who only take messages. They then pass those messages onto clearwire support/engineers. Then the engineers ring you back.

I rang them at about 10am this morning. It is now 2pm and am still waiting a call.

Having said that, they are a new company trying to find their feet so I will let that one slide for a while.

By the way, my support call wasn't a problem with their service. I just want their black box to be a DHCP client rather than server. Can't seem to access any configurations. Not thread hogging or looking for an answer, just saying that my support call was informational only.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dkc

Forgive me if this is a stupid post... but why not NTL ?
    I would assume that NTL has reached parts of Kildare by now so there's a good chance you already have a TV connection with them.

I just rang them there (I'm thinking of getting broadband soon as well, but I'm in Dublin) and the sales person made some interesting points:
    -- all 3 packages have download limits of 30gb, or 1gb per day. This is only enforced if you consistently go over the limit and in their experience almost nobody is hitting that limit on a regular basis.
    -- leadtime for installation is 1 to 1.5 weeks.
    -- full free installation (including running cables and mounting a new tv socket for the modem) is done by their engineer in your house. I know a lad who got them to put in 30 feet of cabling, all neatly pinned along the walls, at no extra charge.
    -- contract is 12 months, but after being with them for 1 month you can freely move between the 3 levels (1mb, 2mb, 3mb) at will, without any extra costs or penalties (other than the change in monthly fee of course).
    -- she recommended I go on the fast connection for the 3 free months and then pick one of the cheaper options before I start paying for it.

This all sounds good, and NTL is the recommended option here on boards, from what I've seen so far. My only worry would be unresponsive customer care when you actually try to change between the 3 levels and being stuck on the higher rate. I don't know if this is the case though, only guessing.

If you're going wireless, ie. using an antenna, then I've heard there are problems with that (connection problems, low speeds) because that technology is line-of-sight. But, I guess you're short on options anyway by avoiding the phone line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

dkc wrote:
    Forgive me if this is a stupid post... but why not NTL ?
    I would assume that NTL has reached parts of Kildare by now so there's a good chance you already have a TV connection with them.

Chorus do Kildare, or at least Naas and Newbridge. NTL are not allowed into Chorus areas and vice versa.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dkc wrote:
    -- she recommended I go on the fast connection for the 3 free months and then pick one of the cheaper options before I start paying for it.

Ah yes, the old get you hooked on the good stuff, they are just like drug dealers :)
    dkc wrote:
    My only worry would be unresponsive customer care when you actually try to change between the 3 levels and being stuck on the higher rate. I don't know if this is the case though, only guessing.

In my experience (fortunately limited) the CS for BB is actually very good. THey answer the phone almost immediately and they actually know what you are talking about, so I wouldn't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

IrishTLR wrote:
    Chorus do Kildare, or at least Naas and Newbridge. NTL are not allowed into Chorus areas and vice versa.

Actually that isn't true anymore, the exclusivity ended about a year ago AFAIR.

However due to the cost of laying cable, they are never going to compete.

It will be irrelevant soon as NTL is currently been purchased by the parent company of Chorus and they will likely be integrated and renamed once it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

bk wrote:
    Actually that isn't true anymore, the exclusivity ended about a year ago AFAIR.

However due to the cost of laying cable, they are never going to compete.

It will be irrelevant soon as NTL is currently been purchased by the parent company of Chorus and they will likely be integrated and renamed once it is.

The broadband section of the company is called Chello around its current european operations....so Chello Ireland Cable broadband is only months away!

so let me get this straight, you dont need a phone line to get chorus broadband? (i checked the website and its not really clear - im maybe im having a dumb morning...) :confused:

Stay away from Chorus , they have no Wireless BB or cable BB in county Kildare and will not have any for years . Of course being Chorus it was promised in the last century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭7aken

have you had a look at callidustelecom? i've used them for a client and havent found them to bad....... uncapped www.callidustelecom.ie

Advertisement