Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Vs Contention

• 03-08-2005 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Which is more important, download speed, or contention rate?

E.g.
    2Mbps symetrical at 24:1
    Vs
    1Mbps symetrical at 12:1

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

In theory, depending on provider you could end up getting the exact same average speed on both packages. And personally i think it would be cause in the case above, those technicalities would be highly stupid since usually it is designed to go the other way.

2Mb at 8:1
    1Mb at 24:1 for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

This isn't a factual example, but just a simplified one to illustrate the question.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Contention Rations are much more complicated then that.

As long as the contention is managed correctly, a 2mb 24:1 should have download speeds that are twice as fast as a 1mb 12:1 product.

For instance, most people can get almost the full 2m download speed from the Eircom/BT DSL services, despite them being 24:1.

Similarly I get almost 3m all the time from NTL despite it having a 17:1 contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

which is exactly why i said, depending on your provider. any decent crowd will give you the faster speed, but IBB apparently really do just merge 48 customers onto 1 open 1MBit pipe onto the 'backbone' lol.

Advertisement