Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Hyperlinking within ZIP files??????

• 03-08-2005 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭

does anyone know if its is possible to hyperlink to data / a file within a ZIP File????

I want to hyperlink from an index page to the relative data which is within this ZIP file.....so any ideas / help

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭digiman

Why would you want to do this?

Can you just not unzip the file and make a link to the actual file that you need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not possible as best I understand it. The entire zip file needs to be downloaded to extract any one file from it. As digiman says - why?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC windows 2K,XP,2K3 can see inside ZIP files. This makes searches painfully slow so I usually turn off the integration, also you'd turn off the integration if you used any third party zip utility. So yes you could possibly do it, but only if you don't mind loosing the ability to associate zip files with any application that can create them. So it wouldn't work on most techies PCs or on older versions of windows.

Just isn't worth looking at unless you have complete control over every pc it will be used on. And you can forget sending it by email as attachment blocking will be more restrictive in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

See i have a large database of files and specs zipped to reduce the size as I need to send via email to various work colleges! So they cant be extracted + then linked as i need to files to be initially linked

What i wanted to do was to hyperlink each file from a main index page wihtin the Zip folder to the required address also wihtin the same Zip folder, but as it seems that this is impossible to do within a Zip file!

Cheers for the replies guys.....you have backed up my initial thoughts - IT CANT BE DONE!!!

Advertisement