Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the Country...gonna meet a lot of weirdos

Options
  • 03-08-2005 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any advice / war stories on this one?

Considering selling up in Dublin, pocketing the equity in the house and moving to ver countryside (somewhere within striking distance of Dublin), but not some grim new estate. I mean a nice 'old fashioned' country house, gardens etc.

Where's nice? Where's cheap? Is there anywhere that is devoid of the crosseyed Frenchwoman-murdering country weirdos who live outside the pale?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Gorey is a good spot. Growing town, plenty of amenities but the traffic through it is crap at the mo (think there is a bypass in the pipeline). The property prices are growing. With the new bypass and the M50 extention its only about 50 mins from the toll bridge.
    If you don't what another growing place there are plenty of villages around it also with decent priced property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Do you know the names of any of the villages around Gorey?

Camolin, Kilmuckridge, Bunclody, Ballyduff, Inch, Ferns, Ballymoney, can't think of any others but I know there is a few. Oh no! don't tell me your thinking about it!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Any top tips on where is going to be the next Kinsale? That's my kind of country living but the prices have become ludicrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Citizen Jake

To country people, city people are weird.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I'd suggest you get a limp now to fit in. I don't know what it is but down the country everybody seems to limp. :D
    In fairness a few firends have come accross problems with locals. Locals being friendly to them but any guests being treated baddly (especially English friends). It depends on if you go rural are not and if you are city witty (wit not being popular with 70 old farmers) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

magpie wrote:
    Where's nice? Where's cheap? Is there anywhere that is devoid of the crosseyed Frenchwoman-murdering country weirdos who live outside the pale?

Grrr. With an attitude like that, it's no wonder that 'country' people have attitude problems towards crack-smoking, daughter-pimping, beemer-driving townies like you.

Your choice of Kinsale of where you want to go says it all, really. "We live in the country, there's only eighteen restaurants in the town".

Well this might cheer you up Zenith, look where he's been moved to now :D :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=286421

zenith wrote:
    Grrr. With an attitude like that, it's no wonder that 'country' people have attitude problems towards crack-smoking, daughter-pimping, beemer-driving townies like you.

Your choice of Kinsale of where you want to go says it all, really. "We live in the country, there's only eighteen restaurants in the town".

As I said city witty doesn't go down well. By the by Ireland's crack cocaine problem is pretty small and most would say non-existant. Ill informed is easier in a place where you don't mix with people outside of that area. If you think there are no areas in the country side or the cities where people are not accepting of divergence you need to rethink that.
    OP avoid where ever Zenith is for starters. :D

garred wrote:
    Well this might cheer you up Zenith, look where he's been moved to now :D :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=286421

Get orf my laaaaand!!!

Excellent.

• Advertisement

OP avoid where ever Zenith is for starters. :D

I'm in Kinsale. How'dya like them eggs.

zenith wrote:
    I'm in Kinsale. How'dya like them eggs.

Your a bogger to me ;) How do you like talking like an adult. You obviously are little ignorant if you think crack is a problem in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

garred wrote:
    Gorey is a good spot. With the new bypass and the M50 extention its only about 50 mins from the toll bridge.
    QUOTE]

Do you make the commute by helicopter???? It's 40 mins from Bray to Arklow on the new N11, and Gorey is 15 minutes further along on a good day. The traffic around Gorey is a holy disgrace & I wouldn't live there if I was paid. The bypass is many years away and you could sit for 40 minutes trying to get through the town. Castletown & Ballymoney are two lovely seaside villages on the Wicklow side of Gorey & worth checking out

babaduck wrote:
    garred wrote:
    Gorey is a good spot. With the new bypass and the M50 extention its only about 50 mins from the toll bridge.
    QUOTE]

Do you make the commute by helicopter???? It's 40 mins from Bray to Arklow on the new N11, and Gorey is 15 minutes further along on a good day. The traffic around Gorey is a holy disgrace & I wouldn't live there if I was paid. The bypass is many years away and you could sit for 40 minutes trying to get through the town. Castletown & Ballymoney are two lovely seaside villages on the Wicklow side of Gorey & worth checking out

Nope, I travel from City West to Ballymoney every weekend and it takes 50-60 mins. Agree with you on the traffic front but that depends on what side of the village you live.
    It was only a suggestion for the op, every place will have its pro's and cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

zenith wrote:
    But he's not from Limerick. :confused:
    By the by Ireland's crack cocaine problem is pretty small and most would say non-existant.
    Your a bogger to me ;)
    This would appear not to reflect the reality of Kinsale, a town built largely on hillsides.

Advertisement