Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ReMax

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

lomb wrote:
    it is normal practice to set the miniumum acceptable reserve price of the vendor 15 % OVER the guide price. that alone is totally unethical. its no wonder estate agents are seen as schisters, because they are...

can i say that if a doctor or dentist did that type of thing theyd b struck off, crazy carryon and their certifying/ regulatory body APPROVE of setting guides up to 15% less than the vendor will accept, truely insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

lomb wrote:
    guides

That is exactly what it is a guide, it is similar to going to the dentist where the dentist watches you speak with your mouth open but can't quote an exact price for cleaning all your teeth.

The point I made above is that prior to having a survey done ask hard questions of the agent; if at that point you are obviously messed around make a formal complaint to the IAVI. With Remax there is no independent body to complain to just a franchise management structure that works on a pyramid arrangement making money from the complainee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Thomond Pk wrote:
    I find that agents Do set the guide price artificially low when advertising in the National media to attract interest from a wider audience. This practice is not ethical but everyone is fully aware of it and virtually every potential purchaser will ask the agent what they will feel it will sell for.

Except real estate agents have stated in national media that the guide price is based on 10-15% below expecting sale price. Mentioned on the radio several times today alone. It is up to the consumer to be informed but the market should be more transparent. The idea that life is fair by principle is a little nieve. A self regulating body won't stop the current trend. By the time the government react it will be too late

SUNDAY independant today...
    Just 'guide prices' by another name

SHANE ROSS

AUCTIONEERS are reeling from the finding of the report on their shenanigans. They are bravely claiming to "welcome" it. But auctioneers find it hard to recognise the truth. The report's message - that they should no longer be allowed to regulate themselves - is a damning indictment of their history.

"Call in the independent outsiders," is the thrust of the report. These cowboys are unfit to run their own show. The war has been lost. But the battles are only beginning. A rearguard action is being fought over guide prices.

A fudge has already been plotted. The commission to reform the whole dodgy business - which incredibly included three auctioneers - is proposing a successor to guide prices, to be known as "advised minimum values".

Enter guide prices under another name.

The report says only one price should be published. This will be "the auctioneer's true opinion of value at the commencement of the marketing campaign, as given in writing by auctioneer to seller on an obligatory basis". Today, they call these little fantasies "guide prices". Tomorrow they will be called "advised minimum values".

The abuse will live on.

When the auctioneers undervalue a property, as they always do, there will still be no redress. The first-time buyer will be led up the garden path of the property, ambushed, and stuffed again. The leaked report will not address some of the worst abuses, like the way the agents operate sealed bids or their favourite deception - pretending booking deposits have legal standing.

Nor will the misery caused by forcing buyers to pay for a multitude of surveyors' fees be ended. The board of the new regulator will be picked by Minister McDowell, a time-honoured means of imposing political control. Will industry insiders be replaced by party patsies?

The problem - auctioneers policing auctioneers - has been identified.

Do not be too hopeful for any remedies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

83 Anglesea Rd is a disgrace guess who the owner is?

• Advertisement

why is 83 angelsea road a disgrace, im sure its a nice period house worth 10 million euro. sure there are LOADS of people in ireland with that for a house. that woman who won 100 million will only be the known 72nd known richest person and probably be the 200 or 300th in reality.

an auctioneers house is it or a property developer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I have experience of one Remax agent who came to value our house which we are currently selling. He spent ten minutes in the place, didn't even set foot in the back garden (one of the selling points as it's sunny and mature), and generally gave an impression of not wanting to hang about. His fee would have been 1.25%, as were the other two agents we saw.

He suggested we list the house (a mid-terrace 1940s council house in Crumlin) at 300,000 and we should get 317,500 for it. The agent we ended up going with spent an hour and a half with us the night he viewed it and gave us much sound advice, both on selling this place and buying our new one. He advised listing the house at 340,000.

We were sceptical as that seemed high but we went with it. Within a week we had an offer of 335,000. That then fell through. In the meantime, Remax listed a house, basically identical to ours, the next street up, for 315,000. I then get a phone call from the Remax agent saying he noted we had gone with our agents and that it was on for 340,000.

He told me that was an insane price, that no house of that type had gone for that money etc. etc. The inference was that we were stupid for not going with him. The call pissed me off but I decided ringing back or trying to track down some superior or another to complain would likely be pointless.

Then Remax listed a house, identical to ours, the next street up, at 315,000. A week later, another call from him to say that it had gone sale agreed at 352,000. No mention of how 340,000 was crazy money and were we mad or what etc. etc. He says he has under bidders on that place who want to see ours, will we ditch our agents and let him bring his clients down?

I said I'd ring him back and then didn't bother. His clients aren't blind, they can see the place is for sale :rolleyes: Also his two phone calls and general manner lead me to believe he's an underhand scumbag and I have no interest in dealing with someone like that.

So now our place is sale agreed again at 340,000 and the sale on the Remax place fell through when the buyer realised he was paying daft money.

That's my experience with this particular Remax agent, naturally your mileage may vary, but from what I've heard in general, don't use them if you want the best possible price for your place - they're on commission so all they're interested in is getting that Sale Agreed sign up and the booking deposit in as fast as possible.

Thomond Pk wrote:
    83 Anglesea Rd is a disgrace guess who the owner is?
    Trinity Senator Shane Ross, whose day job is business editor of the Sunday Indo. In the interests of full disclosure, here's Sen Ross's entry: Shares: Arcon, Bank of Ireland, Scottish Value Trust (investment trust). Directorships: non-executive chairman of Close FTSE 100 Income and Growth Fund; also of Saltire Fund plc (Edinburgh); deputy chairman of Scottish Value Trust; non-executive director of ING Barings New Russia Fund (London); Invesco AsianetFund; BaringHedge Select Fund (Cayman Islands) ; Haussman Fund (Dublin). The senator also owns 83 Anglesea Road, Dubl in 4, which is rented out. Any other business Edited by Pat Leahy

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Then maybe ReMax are for quick sales at less than maximum prices. That probably suits some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

lomb wrote:
    Trinity Senator Shane Ross, whose day job is business editor of the Sunday Indo. In the interests of full disclosure, here's Sen Ross's entry: Shares: Arcon, Bank of Ireland, Scottish Value Trust (investment trust). Directorships: non-executive chairman of Close FTSE 100 Income and Growth Fund; also of Saltire Fund plc (Edinburgh); deputy chairman of Scottish Value Trust; non-executive director of ING Barings New Russia Fund (London); Invesco AsianetFund; BaringHedge Select Fund (Cayman Islands) ; Haussman Fund (Dublin). The senator also owns 83 Anglesea Road, Dubl in 4, which is rented out. Any other business Edited by Pat Leahy

He has his moments but is mostly self-promoting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 banshcat

I have had nothing but bad experiences with ReMax in North Dublin as I have tried to purchase a place recently. They are just terrible! Very unprofessional. Stick to Sherry Fitz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

Banshcat...you cant tell half a story! What happened? Why were they so bad?

Advertisement