Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting

• 31-03-1999 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Heyas,

Was just wondering what's the best source of information around for Linux? i.e. How to set it up, the best versions for beginners etc. Sites, books, whatever.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, have a nice big computer to experiemtn with here.

Kegs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Fowler

Best place to Start for info on linux is www.linux.org - Lots of info for the newbie - Theyve also got a full set of HOWTO document online - help on installing , FAQs - the different distrubutions of linux etc etc.
    Redhat is the flavour of linux I recommend, I run it at home and my 2 servers. Easy to set up - most hardware autodetected on install, easy configuration tools etc. You can pick up a copy from www.cheapbytes.com for $2. Easons have a few (i.e 2 ) linux books last time I checked - "Teach yourslef linux in 24 hours" - comes with Redhat 5.0 which is way out of date, but the book isnt bad ( £27.99 ) When in doubt - read the manual , the HOWTOs , post here etc. The #linux channel of EFNET IRC is huge - normally around 250 members, great source of help. This channel is VERY strict - no floods , repeating , colors , autoaway messages , messaging ops etc etc , Behave yourself or prepare to get kicked. A reallt good source of help tho. Anyway - Good luck smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

Yeah, again I'm going to recommend an O'Reilly book. Running Linux. Apart from teaching you the ins and outs of Linux it also covers the philosophy of the whole thing which is prolly just as important. You HAVE to get this book.
    Karla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Thank you kindly.

Kegs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

install it.
    run XConfigurator

dah dah smile.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement