Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos complaint

Options
  • 03-08-2005 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Bought a 'chrome shower rail' in Argos a month ago, installed it and . . . . .. it's started to rust. Granted, it was really cheap, but chrome shouldn't rust. . . All Argos have to say is to "return it and get another one". Which means I'd have to take it out of tiles and re install the new one . . . I don't think so, it's not worth my trouble as I will clean it and rustproof it. However I am a bit disturbed that something sold as chrome is rusting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Have heard of similiar about ARGOS when working in a big DIY store.
    Seems ARGOS often use the word "chrome" to describe the "colour" not the material.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

Surely that's misleading information. And if it's not chrome, but some other rust-vulnerable material - surely it shouldn't be sold as a shower rail!

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

Hey Ann,

Was it either the "Shower Curtain Rail" (item 18) or Chromed Circular Shower Rail (item 23) on page 767 of the old catalogue..??

I only ask because both of these items are listed as "chrome plated" or "chromed" (same thing). It doesn't imply that either are rust-proof, just that they have a nice finish. As soon as a piece of that chrmoe plating comes off, it's rust city all the way.

IMO you should go straight back to the shop and ask for a refund/replacement - don't try and fix it as it's probably not worth the hassle/will cost you more

HTH

S.

The hassle of taking it out of the wall and putting a new one back in (which will also rust) is a bit much for me at the moment . . . . .

Surely it's easier to just put some silicon grease or something on the affected parts (it's only one side of it).

Apart from that - it's obvious not fit for purpose - how are they allowed to sell this?

It was the Circular Shower Rail and it's advertised as Chrome, not Chromed or Chrome Plated.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=3801&langId=-1&searchTerms=shower+rail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

Maybe take photos and write to the head office? Thats a bummer situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The hassle of taking it out of the wall and putting a new one back in (which will also rust) is a bit much for me at the moment . . . . .
    What do you mean "out of the wall"? Surely it's just a matter of a couple of screws?

Anyway, before you go off on a tangent claiming that the thing isn't fit to be sold, have you maybe considered that this was just a one off? A manufacturing fault that may not be on the replacement? They have offered to replace it, but they're not going to do that purely on your say so without proof. You'll need to take the old one in to show them what the problem is.

As for Chrome vs. Chromed vs. Chrome Plated, nothing is "Chrome" apart from pure chromium, which you wouldn't want to make (or buy) a shower rail from, believe me. Chromed and Chrome Plated are the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Alun wrote:
    What do you mean "out of the wall"? Surely it's just a matter of a couple of screws?

Anyway, before you go off on a tangent claiming that the thing isn't fit to be sold...

If I bought a SHOWER RAIL (a.k.a gets in contact with water) and drilled through my bathroom tiles I would be pretty pissed off if the rail started to rust! Just means that it was not tested at the manufacturer's site.

Come on .. would you take a chance with a second one? Or would you fill in the holes in your tiles with polly fill and try another. I wouldn't be too happy if I had forked out for tiling and that happened.

I haven't got to the stage of putting up any fixtures in my bathroom after tiling yet, but Ann .. thanks for the heads up - I'm spend a bit on them.

Alun

To be honest I wouldn't have a clue how to take it out, I didn't install it and don't know the first thing about DIY. I'm about to go on hols anyway.

It could be a one off. Seems like way too much trouble to find out. I've rustproofed it myself and will take my chances that way for now anyway.

I'm not looking for them to replace it etc as obviously I would have to bring it back which I'm not willing to do. Just disappointed in them and their knarly response on the phone. I said to myself before "don't buy the cheap stuff in Argos, it's crap", I should have stuck to my own rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

AnnR - chrome does rust but not that quickly, as was said here it was probably chromed or plated. Maybe try a brillo pad or steel woll to remove the rust.

Advertisement