Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone catch the last episode of Enterprise last night?

Options
  • 03-08-2005 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Not too bad, bit weird having Troi and Will Riker play their characters from an episode set ten yrs in the past,when they have, naturally, aged 10 years. Also the plot was a bit ropey,
    the andorian thing was only brought in to kill off Trip, and it had no bearing on the rest of the episode. I think they probably could have wrote a plot where he dies preventing a sabotage of the alliance treaty or something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Pretty rubbish alright. Glad to see the end of the series though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Possibly the worst ending to a series of Star Trek ever. I was very disappointed , it just managed to top off the 4 disappointing seasons perfectly.

Goodbye and good riddance.

Message to Rick Berman:

GET YOUR TUMB OUT OF YOUR ASS AND GIVE US SOME REAL STAR TREK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

Its spelled "thumb".

And those last 2 series were top quality, if you actually sat and gave them a chance you wouldnt just be one of these "only old school star trek is cool" moaners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

From the first day this series started, when I heard the incredibly gay American music at the start, I knew it was doomed.

They need to make an evil star trek. Maybe a rogue ship causing all kinds of problems in the universe, impregnating aliens, ruining earths reputation etc.

Now THAT I would watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Bring Back DS9!

A series set around a war again. Mmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

Grimes wrote:

A series set around a war again. Mmmmmm

thats pretty much the only way that trek stays interesting, when the federation is doomed and there is some kind of coherant story arc (i.e dominion war, even though I didn't watch a lot of it) , that said, the next gen had many several great episodes i.e 'the inner light' where Picard lives a whole other life. Enterprise was on its way to getting things right, but i think spent too much time referencing itself, which while sometimes clever and interesting was all too often substitute for telling a good story.

I think Trek needs to take a few years off and come back with something that doesn't rely so much on a hook (i.e DS9 -wormhole, Voyager - Lost in space, Enterprise - set in the 'past'), but rather relies on good character development and good stories. Like I said Enterprise was going in the right direct, the 'mirror universe' episodes were very good,and the whole Romulan element could have been interesting but was never fully played out (loved the way you saw the nasty looking romulans from 'Nemesis' in the background of that episode!)

I thought the movies were gong in the right direction, implying that the federation was crumbling, a series exploring that might be intersting, and might add a bit of drama if we had a federation on the run.

In anycase not letting the actual cast of enterprise have their own final episode was a poor decision, i think it was a mistake to tell the story through Riker and Troi, the writers owed their characters more than that, it was the sci-fi equivalent of 'oh it was all a dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I think the Riker, Troi thing would have been brilliant as a normal episode. But the focus shouldn't have been on them in the final episode. Other than that I thought it was brilliant. Was done very well. I am slightly confused about one thing though. iirc in the original TNG episode about the Pegasus Riker didn't say anything about the cloaking device until they needed a way out of the asteroid. But in the end of "These are the Voyages" he says he's going to go and talk to Picard then and there. Was it a mistake, or am I remembering incorrectly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

I think they should have ended it with the Terra Prime double episode. The last episode (Riker/Troy) somewhat reminds me of the last X-Files episode which should never have seen the light of day (or whatever way you phrase that).

Worst ending ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The whole Trip thing was just so contrived. Otherwise, it was so/so for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Seeing the Enterprise-D and the last 10 seconds was great seeing riker and troi was alright every thing else was sh*t so in a way the final episode mirrored enterprise as a whole 90% sh*t 5% good 5% meh
    loved the way you saw the nasty looking romulans from 'Nemesis' in the background of that episode!)

They are remans (sp?) not romulans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I missed it, does anyone know if it's being repeated on Sky?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I think it should be repeated Sunday night at 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

They repeat them on Sky Mix aswell, at least on Saturday and Monday at 20:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

A Mirror , Darkly Pt 1 & 2 should have been the endings to the series alright, best ones i've seen since the start [ esp that fox hoshi playing a nice part indeed :D ]

Oh, and it will be shown again on Sky One Sat 6 Aug [ it should be anyway ] , can't remember time... maybe 3-4 pm cannot be certain as i aint home atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

bizmark wrote:
    They are remans (sp?) not romulans.

yep! thems the ones! Just couldn't remember the right name!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Anyone see the "History of the Federation" bit Sky did in the break immediately before the replay of the Enterprise finale (Saturday 4pm)?

Wasn't bad except....
    - Picard was never cloned by the Borg.. he was assimilated
    - The Enterprise-D wasn't decomissioned in the late 2370s - it was crash landed on Veridian III .. dunno where they got that idea from? :)

Aside from that, was kinda cool.. better than 5 minutes of the usual rubbish ads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Just saw it on Sky Mix...

... well. I'm glad I had a cushion to hide behind for the really cringey bits. Worst. Series finale. Ever. [/comic book guy]

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It was awful...

- Troi and Riker look so old now whereas the Enterprise cast looked like they hadn't aged a day in the 6 years since last week's episode.. think the makeup cast got it a bit wrong, but given the comments of some of the cast about the episode itself (which mirror most fans reaction) they probably didn't care...

- The storyline itself was B grade..and no sense of closure or importance about it at all. Aside from the fact that after all the build up, we were then robbed of Archer's big speech at the end there was no feeling of "this is it" (like there was say in DS9's "What you leave behind", and even VOY's "Endgame" - not so much in TNG's "All Good Things" but that's partly cause we knew by then that they would be back on the big screen.. that said it was a VERY good episode!)

- Killing off Trip.. pointless and badly executed. He was one of the better characters/actors on the show and having him go into a panic when a few aliens board the ship was very out of character. Plus "bringing him back" then afterwards to talk to Riker just highlights the fact that it's all a recreation while diminishing ANY impact his death may have had on the audience.

- Setting it on the Enterprise-D and in a holoprogram makes it seem like the past 4 years of ENT were a dream.. regardless of the "historical" tag they covered that as. While personally I wasn't very fond of the show anyway, the cast and crew deserved their own finale, not a thinly disguised TNG episode.
    And what's all this "Objective Mode" stuff? First time I've ever heard it used and certainly not in TNG.

- As has already been mentioned, Troi's accent was all over the place, again giving the sense that by that stage the actors and staff just didn't care anymore as normally - from what I've seen over the years and ENT aside - they've been pretty good at attention to detail.

Overall I wont miss Enterprise and having watched that episode, neither will anyone associated with it... Gene must be spinning in his grave at what they've done to his vision. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Anyone see the "History of the Federation" bit Sky did in the break immediately before the replay of the Enterprise finale (Saturday 4pm)?

Wasn't bad except....
    - Picard was never cloned by the Borg.. he was assimilated
    - The Enterprise-D wasn't decomissioned in the late 2370s - it was crash landed on Veridian III .. dunno where they got that idea from? :)

Aside from that, was kinda cool.. better than 5 minutes of the usual rubbish ads!

Aye noticed those mistakes myself you would think sky might do a bit of research they have only been showing star trek for like 10 years :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Kaiser2000 wrote:

In 2370! Kinda confused the hell out of me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Well, it's a decomission of sorts ;-) What can you expect though? Sky One is tabloid tv. No research and all sensationalised. Enterprise finalé. Riker and Troi in finalé... bang, shock... HORROR!!!.... etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

In anycase not letting the actual cast of enterprise have their own final episode was a poor decision, i think it was a mistake to tell the story through Riker and Troi, the writers owed their characters more than that, it was the sci-fi equivalent of 'oh it was all a dream'

I only got around to watching the final few eps this week, from 'A Mirror Darkly Part I' to 'These are the Voyages...'

What. A. Sucky. Finale! Easily the worst Trek finale, and EASILY the worst finale of ANY series I've ever seen!!
    I enjoyed the past two seasons of Enterprise, it wasn't the best thing on TV, or my favourite Trek, but it was at least making an effort towards the end. It made NO sense to allow those two fools to write the finale -- how they treated the characters, especially Trip, just didn't match with any development the other writers had introduced. Also, fast-forwarding six years and not at least have T'Pol and Trip together was crap "Oh we just broke up" -- WOW thanks for making all the buildup with their relationship a HUGE waste of time.
    I detested the idea of the episode, it was tragically self-indulgent, and I'm glad to hear that the ENT cast were pretty po'd at their 'finale' being turned into such a trivial and crap excuse for a crossover. I think UPN just really wanted some guest stars for their promos! :mad:
    Side-lining the main cast (by that I mean everyone except Mayweather) was a shocking slap in the face of the actors and to ENT viewers who wanted to see what happened with the ENT crew, not how Riker spent a few days on the holodeck.
    Trip's death was SO lame, and unnecessary. Again, something to hype in the promos "It's a finale, someone has to die!"
    Even though Trip died so unheroically and stupidly, it was good to see the crew mourn - oh wait, they didn't, they just went to the gathering that Archer was giving his big speech they spent a lot of time building up - but wait, we didn't even bloody well hear it! Good thing we got the chance to spend time with Riker though - oh wait, NO IT WASN'T :mad: :mad:

Bermaga should never ever be allowed to write ANYTHING again. God I hate them so much. Absolute f**king hacks. That is all -- I'm going to erase the finale from my memory and just imagine that 'Terra Prime' was the finale, and the Enterprise saved the conference, and Trip and T'Pol had a great emotional send-off, even if they weren't together.

Advertisement