Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What feature do people use on their phones?

• 03-08-2005 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

There is a increase on the function avilable on phones but I wonder how much use people get out of them and for what.

Bluetooth, is good for headsets but I don't get it after that. The transfer rate for a file is pathetic on every phone or device.

Camera, is good and I think many people like the feature.

Wap or any internet browsing, how often are these used. I have neve used it once. The cost seems to be a big issue too.

Radio, I use this alot myself

Mp3, actually my fav but the tranfer issue is a pain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is a great function on my phone.... I can make phone calls with it! :)

To listen to MP3s, I use my MP3 player. To take pictures, I use my digital camera. I don't understand the obsession with amalgamating multiple gadgets into one device.

Having said that, I do use the contacts/calendar/tasks functions on my phone (synced with my PC), so I can't really talk......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I mainly use the alarm, clock, radio if I'm using my 6230, GPRS for when I'm bored on a bus etc, camera mainly when I'm drunk!
    Don't use the mp3 function, video camera, video calling, all the crazy symbian apps. The 6680 has so much I don't use.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

TmB wrote:
    To listen to MP3s, I use my MP3 player. To take pictures, I use my digital camera. I don't understand the obsession with amalgamating multiple gadgets into one device...

I agree on the camera issue but regards the MP3 player, I usually take my MP3 wherever I go - be it work, going out, holidays etc - and I'm sure a lot of people are the same. Now you generally have to take your phone everywhere too...so at this stage my pockets are getting kinda full with keys and wallet..so it'd be nice to be able to combine the two. I don't particularly need or want a camera, OK so the odd time it might be useful but by and large I really don't want to be taking (for the most part) bad quality pictures of random stuff.

Calender - very useful, set alarms for things weeks and months in advance. Find out what day a certain date is etc. The nokia 6310i could do with a snooze function though.

Wap - hardly ever use it, I thought I would get more use out of this when I first heard people talking about it years ago

Internet - yes, I used to use this quite a lot via my Pocket PC, till Vodafone turned of High Speed Data, you expect me to use 9.6 kb/s !?

Features like voice command etc are really useless! Even that handsfree kit with the earphones is a bit pointless, especially when people use it while walking down the road - they look like their a bit mad & talking to themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

ive 2 phones i use nearly every application on each of them

6230 with 1 gb memory card i use everything from alarm to calender camara etc etc ,

my trusty 6610 mainly for dates of events coming up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

I have siemens c65 and a good feature on it is the currency converter, its very handy if you want to check prices while abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i mainly use the alarm clock feature of my 6230, and it also works as a phone and it can do text messages, but i tend to not send texts alot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Alarm, Calender, SMS, Games,Bluetooth and indeed the currency converter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

The Time/Calendar/Alarm :D
    Games
    Radio
    Mp3 Player
    And Bluetooth

Dont really use the camera/videos or video calling..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TimeSlot

I am on Meteor and I never used to use WAP because of the expense. But now that they lets you browse for free, I go onto the Meteor site all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ive converted a load of avis from my computer to 3gp and watch them on my 6230. all uncopyrighted of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭jlang

Phone, SMS only really.
    Occasionally take a picture - used to use it more, but got a pocket size digicam so don't use the phone much for that.
    Calculator if pencil/paper isn't nearby.
    Despise the Vodafone Live button! Wish I didn't have it.
    Alarm when not at home.
    I'd probably use a radio if I had one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

On my 6230i I tend to use:
    - Alarm
    - Camera
    - SMS
    - Calendar
    - MP3 Player

• Registered Users Posts: 18 drusilla_rb

I use my phone almost entirely for texting, with occasional phone calls thrown in. The camera on the V220 is crap (though it's a crappy phone overall), so I avoid that, and I'd rather have a device with proper storage capabilities for listening to music, ten or twenty songs won't cut it. I do try to use wap for my cinema timetable thing, though the phone I'm on seems to have trouble with the volumes of data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Text (haven't had credit for months though)
    Calls
    Alarm

As has been said, i use an mp3 player for mp3's, Digi camera for pics, etc etc. Not much point in a lot of the features of some new phones. So much so, that my current 7210, is going to be downgraded to a 8310 (hopefully). Im moving backwards.

I was determined at one stage to get a phone with a decent camera, but than i slowly realised that its just frustrating looking at crappy camera-phone pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

I used to have the nokia 3200 - radio, camera, torch (what that was about i don't know!!!) and it used to always break down and piss me off. So I traded it in for the nokia 3100 - and i LOVE it!! It's so simple and straight-forward. All i wanna do i keep in touch with my mates and family. And it looks pretty cool too!

I like it stress-free and mess-free! I have total contact with anyone when I need it, and I'm happy that way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I had a 3210, it broke from constant txting.
    I got a 3510, I could not use O2 Active
    I then got a 3200, it has, like all the nokias before it, terrible call quality, BTW O2A is a rip off! It costs nearly a euro just to load the main menu, not mentioning the cost of downloading a game that costs 5Eur to begin with!
    I then bought a SE T630, it has perfect quality, great battery life, but it is not 3G.

I am going to buy a 3 3G handset, either an E1000 or a 6680. The E1000 is probably not as tweakable, or even hackable as a Symbian based handset which is why I will spend extra for a 6680. The main reason that I am buying it is because I want a 3G handset for longevity. Standard GSM is being phased out and when Vodafone and O2 have 99-100% 3G coverage they will be eventualy begin to discontinue there GSM networks as most phones will be operating on 3G.

... And now to business.
    The features that I use most on my phone:
    Calls, Txts, Alarm, WAP, and of course like all the phones that came before it, the clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

just the usual phone calls, texts and alarm.
    i play the odd game on it (have a data cable now, so i might have a look for some hentai for the laugh :p )
    currency conversion
    the damn camera is broken at the moment, that should hopefully be sorted on monday though (handy when it does work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement