Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

recovering passwords from a (legimately acquired) /etc/passwd file

• 03-08-2005 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭

I have here sitting on my desktop the /etc/passwd file off my own IRIX 6.2 install which I've forgotten the password to - machine wasn't booted since the 1990's, so I've quite obviously forgotten the root password.

Is there any way to recover the real password from the encrypted one in the file? Note that while I have the "file" here I had to transcript it - I need to be root to screw with network settings to get files on/off the machine, so I have to be able to work on the file on one of my other boxes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

had a similar problem with an sgi o2 "toaster" running irix, luckily had an sgi origin machine handy which we had root access to, simply put the hard drive from the toaster into the origin and mounted it, then copied the passwd and shadow files across thus setting the root password to be the same as that of the origin.
    if you can do something similar thats probably your best way of getting root access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

MYOB wrote:
    I have here sitting on my desktop the /etc/passwd file off my own IRIX 6.2 install which I've forgotten the password to - machine wasn't booted since the 1990's, so I've quite obviously forgotten the root password.

Is there any way to recover the real password from the encrypted one in the file? Note that while I have the "file" here I had to transcript it - I need to be root to screw with network settings to get files on/off the machine, so I have to be able to work on the file on one of my other boxes.

Can you boot a liveCD / emergency floppy, chroot, and just set a new pass?
    How do I circumvent the root password?

NOTE: These instructions are included so that you can safeguard your system from attacks and so that you can regain access to your system if you have legitimately lost the root password.

To circumvent the root password in IRIX versions 5.3 and later, you must load the miniroot from an OS CD or other source.

Once the miniroot is loaded, follow these steps (menus have been omitted for brevity):

Inst> admin
    Admin> shroot
    chrooting to /
    escher 21# passwd -d root

With those steps completed, you have removed the root user's password and can set it to whatever you like.

WARNING: Guard your bootable CD-ROMs with care (lock and key if need be). They hold the key to your system. Likewise, if you are running an older version of IRIX (before 5.0), you should either upgrade or guard your system with care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not being loaded, I don't have a second SGI to do that with. The password isn't shadowed, its actually in the /etc/passwd file.

Can you boot a liveCD / emergency floppy, chroot, and just set a new pass?

Unfortunately not, I have the boot media but no CD-ROM drive - they weren't fitted as standard in 1993. I do know about the miniroot trick, though.

I also can't put the HDD in a Linux box with XFS support as its a SCSI disk and my machines are all IDE. Annoying, but I don't think IDE was too coomon in 1993 either.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You could try the crack utility - what algorithm are those passwords encoded with? Crypt i'd presume. That would do it although it could take a while.

• Advertisement

Right, I John The Ripper'ed the passwd file

Took it 1 guess. Password for root was root

It was changed before I even let the machine touch the net...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MYOB wrote:
    LOL :D

LOL :D

Hey, I was a kid. Quite literally.

Machine was at a 2-figure patchset... SGI have it up to 4000 or so atm... been patching all night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

When I decommision a machine for storage, I always change
    the root password to 'password' once it's been deconfigured.
    "Always" that is, since an episode with a HP/UX server with no
    record of the root password :-)
    Still have that, if anyone's interested!

Good to hear you got it sorted out.

NiallB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

MYOB wrote:
    Right, I John The Ripper'ed the passwd file

LOL

• Advertisement
Advertisement