Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zidane out of International Retirement???

• 03-08-2005 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

Sky are just reporting now, he's come out of internationl retirement to help France save their qualification campaign! :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Zidane and Makelele come out of international retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Bad bad news.
    I just saw this on l'equipe. Translated with babelfish, so apologies for that.

Zinédine Zidane and Claude Makelele should make their return for France for the meeting with the Ivory Coast on Wednesday August 17, according to information published on Zidane's official site. The number 5 of Real Madrid announced on Wednesday, that the decision was made in agreement with the manager. "Raymond Domenech came to see me two or three times in Madrid, said Zidane on his site. We spoke and he said to me what he expected of me and us, because I speak on my behalf and that of Claude Makélélé since Claude also will play again for the France team. Zidane reconsidered his decision without still explaining it. "I return for something very important for me. I decided to return to the Blues. One year on, I reconsider a decision which to me was categorical. As I always said, the France team was the most important thing to me. To have spoken with the trainer, it was important. I reflected on it well and I want to play again for France. I do not want to return to the details, like the whys and it hows. One year ago I was categorical. I do not want to return as Zorro, as a saver. I answer something just while having reflected well during my holidays. France gave me so much that I want to help it." "For the first time of my life, I return on something of very important. When I had made my decision, I had not taken it lightly. I had maturely reflected. Today, I make the same thing in the opposite direction. Yes, I am moved. Yes, I know that I return in a way where many people will be able to say: "Why did he do it? Why now? Why to have waited so a long time?" I believe that it is especially because I left on holiday and that I said myself that was nothing big left for me to be played for in football. And I want to benefit the maximum from it. And here, I want to help the team of France."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

proof please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I didn't hear anything about Makalele come out of retirement, that sucks too, after the type of season he had with Chelsea last season. Plus, possibly a rejuvenated Vieira after his move to Juve....could be bad news!
    Is Andy O' Brien suspended for the France game or just the Cyprus? Because Dunne is obviously going to be out, we're pretty short of cover.

See other thread for l'equipe info. True, I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Shamrock posted proof on the other thread.

Could a mod lock this thread?

The gods are against us. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Just home from work to see that on the SSN ticker. :(

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Oh bollox... *looks at the date*, it isn't April fools either... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Bring it on!
    it'll make victory all the more sweet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Major blow for ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

i just heard the news on french tv. he is back along with makelele.
    he annonced it in his site.

cool:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Sh*t!! The worst of our problems at the mo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

eek.... :eek:

and maybe also thuram will be back.
    the old guard.

one half with zizou and the other half with dhorasoo.
    it will be bloody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

For fvck sake. I was thinking it might be possible to qualify this year, too! Well, technically it is still possible,but...fvck sake!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

It's not going to make qualification any easier :(
    Zidane and Makalele will make life very uncomfortable for us.

Wonder what Kerr thought when he heard this news :eek:

We look like we might be missing Kenny Cunningham with broken ribs for that match too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

the shocking results against isreal(twice) might be very costly now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

those 2 muppets ain't gonna make too much of a difference to that side except increase their avg age to 35.
    We'll have 'em

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

With that tool Domenech in charge, I'm not that bothered. France were still piss with those two, and they haven't gotten any better since they retired the first time round.

A 4-5-1 would suit France well, knowing Domenech tho he'll probably play Makelele left wing and Zidane in attack. Bring it on.

evilhomer wrote:
    We look like we might be missing Kenny Cunningham with broken ribs for that match too.
    He has a partially collapsed lung and will definitely make the France match.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=18522

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Just to let you know that the response in France is pretty bad at the moment. Lots of people feel tht once you retire and decide not to play for your country that you shouldn't be allowed play again( even if it's clear that a lot of pressure was put on him).
    Also it doesn't say much for the current players if you have to bring back the old boys. And the new system that they were working on, does it go out the window and France go back to playing the old game?

I think that it'll cause more harm than good for France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Only Roy is allowed to come out of retirement.
    The rest are just copy cats and it won't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think it's a good sign. It shows that people within the French camp don't have faith in the current setup and are now looking for someone to bail them out.

No doubt Zidane and Makelele have the tools to punish us but I'm no more concerned about the September fixture now that I was before this news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think they need to get Platini back in there, him and Zidane would be great playoing together . if your old enough, your good enough :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Zidane is a worry. Hopefully keano + A.N. Other can do a job on the French midfield to nullify the great man's threat. I still think we will get the right result from the match

Out of curiosity, I was looking there for an English language message board for fans of the France team. The only one I found mostly in English was BigSoccer Boards. Worth having a look — very gung-ho and a few digs at us as well (at least I think some are — they're in French!). Btw, they all expect Thuram to return now as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Ireland is the one shaking in their booties right now.

:D from the forum.

• Advertisement

Paddy Power odds on the Ireland—France match are:
    Ireland 2/1
    France 11/10
    Draw 9/4

They have also put together a few 'Specials' on the match following Zidane's and Makalele's announcements.
    Zidane to score a penalty 5/1
    Zidane to score direct from a free kick 6/1
    Makalele to score in the match 13/2
    Zidane to score a hat-trick in the match 66/1
    Zidane to score twice in injury time to win the match 150/1
    The two Zinedenes (Kilbane & Zidane) to score in the match 12/1
    Both Makalele & Zidane to score in the match 22/1
    Roy Keane to be sent off for a foul on either Zidane or Makalele 50/1
    Makalele to be sent off for a foul on Damian Duff 66/1
    Johnny Giles to come out of retirement and play v France 2000/1
    G'wan Johnny! :D

Zidane said he has no doubt Thuram will return aswell. They may be old but they are still 3 world class players.

frankly guys, i don't think that zizou would be our saviour, i'm just happy to see him again in blue, just for the beauty of the game:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

If Makelele , Zidane and Vieira all play they will lack width . A midfield of those 3 plus Pires will mean only one winger and although Zidane is a damn great player (even while playing left mid) they will not get many crosses from that side .
    France's problem in the Euro's was width , now they have that problem again .

I doubt makelele would come back without expecting to play BTW so it seems their going to have to be like that . Thuram is a very good player but he's not the once great full-back of a couple of years ago . Still better than some of the clowns they have tryed to replace him with though .

Big Ears wrote:
    If Makelele , Zidane and Vieira all play they will lack width . A midfield of those 3 plus Pires will mean only one winger and although Zidane is a damn great player (even while playing left mid) they will not get many crosses from that side .
    France's problem in the Euro's was width , now they have that problem again .

I doubt makelele would come back without expecting to play BTW so it seems their going to have to be like that . Thuram is a very good player but he's not the once great full-back of a couple of years ago . Still better than some of the clowns they have tryed to replace him with though .

pires is nomore in french squad, domenech doesn't want him.

i disagree with you about the replace of thuram. of course thuram is a world class player but i think that a guy like willy sagnol is a great replacement.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don't think Pires playing is going to be an issue. The team I'd pick would be:
    ............ Henry
    Malouda .... Zidane ... Giuly
    ............ Vieira
    ........... Makelele
    Evra .. Gallas . Boumsong . Sagnol
    ............ Barthez

Not much chance of seeing that though I think :)

• Advertisement

kaids wrote:
    I don't think Pires playing is going to be an issue. The team I'd pick would be:
    ............ Henry
    Malouda .... Zidane ... Giuly
    ............ Vieira
    ........... Makelele
    Evra .. Gallas . Boumsong . Sagnol
    ............ Barthez

Not much chance of seeing that though I think :)

i like your formation. maybe coupet would finally take the place of barthez. i rather would like barthez because fetishism stuff:D

also maybe wiltord would start instead giuly.

it could be also in that way :

Coupet

Sagnol
    Givet
    Squillaci
    Evra/Abidal

Makelele
    Vieira
    Pedretti

Zidane

Trezeguet/Cisse
    Henry

what do you think about keane (the one of tottenham)?
    he killed my team (lyon) in the final of peace cup.

lili wrote:
    what do you think about keane (the one of tottenham)?
    he killed my team (lyon) in the final of peace cup.
    Killed? :eek:
    Trez is out of the Ireland match isn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Shamrok wrote:
    Oh yeah I forgot, he got sent off against Israel.

• Advertisement

Shamrok wrote:

yes, he killed my team. scored twice:(

trezeguet is suspended for 2 matches. because he gave a head kick to a israeli player.

well, you didn't answer to my question, should we be worried about this keane?
    because even if lyon defense has been crap, he has been quite efficient.

Oh yes, we actually call him 'Keano The Killer' because he 'kills' so many teams. And he seems to have a certain penchant for French teams for some reason. So, my advice Lili, my French friend, is yes be worried ...be very worried!

Legal Disclaimer: None of the above is true

Shamrok wrote:
    Oh yes, we actually call him 'Keano The Killer' because he 'kills' so many teams. And he seems to have a certain penchant for French teams for some reason. So, my advice Lili, my French friend, is yes be worried ...be very worried!

Legal Disclaimer: None of the above is true

sound ironical indeed:)
    well, will you have a friendly before the big match?

We are playing Italy in Dublin the same evening France play the Ivory Coast.

Shamrok wrote:
    We are playing Italy in Dublin the same evening France play the Ivory Coast.

ouch!
    good luck then.

lili - I was just watching a review of the Ligue 1 04/05 season and it just reminded me that Barthez got a 6 month ban back in March or April. Will he miss the Ireland game?
    well, you didn't answer to my question, should we be worried about this keane?
    because even if lyon defense has been crap, he has been quite efficient.
    You can't predict how well Keane will play. People say he's only good against the lower ranked teams but I don't believe that. All I can say is he's unpredictable. He did a bit of training alone in the summer and has had a great pre-season. He was voted the best player of that Peace cup and was top scorer only starting in 2 of the 4 games.

not sure of that, but i think barthez will miss the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

suspension was actually extended. He will be out till december.

so it will be coupet.

by the way, make me a pleasure, beat the italians at the friendly;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement