Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Barking Exhaust

Options
  • 03-08-2005 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Yet another question from the Newbie!

My 206 GTi has an aftermarket exhaust fitted to it (Scorpion). When changing down from 5th-4th, 4th-3rd and 3rd-2nd, the exhaust makes a slight 'barking' noise. It's loudest when changing from 4th-3rd and it has gone from barely happening to happening on nearly every changedown.

Question is whether this is a normal occurrance or whether it's a sign of a problem with the car. I wouldn't have been so worried but the service history mentions that there was a misfire previously. The car doesn't lose power throught the rev range (which I've heard is a sign of a misfire). It does pulse a bit at idle and there is a bit of a shudder at take-off. Problem I have is that I don't know whether these are characteristics of the engine/car or whether they are signs of something a bit more serious...

I have 6 months warranty with the garage - but I just want to clear everything up before I go to them with the 'problem'

Cheers... :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Saturnine

Sudden depression in the engine as you change down would cause a poor fitting exhaust to suck air in through the joints creating a popping sound.Is it a full exhaust system or just the back box?Have you replaced the cat with a straight through pipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GoalsGoneWild

Will have to check these things out! Not too sure what it is to be honest. Was fitted by the previous owner and I've only had the car a few days. Will have a look and get back to you...

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I have 6 months warranty with the garage - but I just want to clear everything up before I go to them with the 'problem'
    Was fitted by the previous owner and I've only had the car a few days.

Did you buy the car from the previous owner, or from the garage? If you bought it from the previous owner who then fitted a new exhaust, a warranty may not cover it... Just something to be careful of.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GoalsGoneWild

As far as the warranty goes, they've said they'll cover everything - but of course, what they say and what they do may be very different things! The warranty is a garage one as opposed to a manufacturer one. Have spoken to the guy who sold it to me and he said they'd have a look at it.

That said, I'm still not 100% sure whether it's an actual problem or whether it's just the way the engine/exhaust is...

More research needed methinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

As far as the warranty goes, they've said they'll cover everything - but of course, what they say and what they do may be very different things! The warranty is a garage one as opposed to a manufacturer one. Have spoken to the guy who sold it to me and he said they'd have a look at it.

That said, I'm still not 100% sure whether it's an actual problem or whether it's just the way the engine/exhaust is...

More research needed methinks...

Oh right, so you bought it as is from the garage? Then you are covered if it is a problem. Was just thinking out loud really...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I'd say check it for a leak or blown out or loose gasket/flange.

Advertisement