Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regarding the High Score challenges

Options
  • 03-08-2005 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

Regarding the High Score challenges this week - tomorrow is the day of judgement and whoever has the highest score (and time in certain cases) tomorrow will claim the Title of either "Boards Super Mario Kart Champion" or "Boards Soul Caliber 2 Champion".

Now for the question - anyone interested in challenges for next week ? (please use poll) If there is anyone interested feel free to throw out game suggestions too.

I think "Super Smash Bros. Melee" should be one of next weeks challenges anyway - there was a fair amount of interest for that in the origional thread.

Any interest for a second round of high score challenges ? 23 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    69% 16 votes
    Maybe (depends on game)
    30% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I never got into Super Smash Brother Melee, so this could be my chance!

Always wanted to take part in a challange, but never had the game in question :D.

Also, maybe a Resi 4 hi-score... everyone should own that game :D.
    The mode you unlock once you beat the game obviously, can't remember the name :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mercenaries is the mode. Don't want a Resi 4 challenge only because my stupid brother currently has the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Ah bollox - I meant to make that poll public - ah well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Any ideas on an emulators challenge. Wouldn't mind seeing dodonpachi or one of the cave shmup games such as esp.ra.de would give me an excuse to play them.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Any ideas on an emulators challenge. Wouldn't mind seeing dodonpachi or one of the cave shmup games such as esp.ra.de would give me an excuse to play them.

Cant think of anything off the top of my head to be honest, anyone else have any suggestions ? or even any old system they want the emulator challenge to be from ?

• Advertisement

The ones I've mentioned are perfectly emulated on mame. Maybe a fastest time through a Sonic level but be warned I used to match or beat the worlds fastest times through all sonic 1 levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Please make the emulator challenge mario kart 64. I was really disapointed you went for the snes version over that.

Koopa Troopa beach would be my choice of track and would give novices a chance. If you want a hard track go with banshee boardwalk.

I think MK64 is a bad idea. The emulation is a little bit from perfect. Also the emulated version runs much faster and smoother than the N64 original. It's also not a very good game, over rated in many peoples opinions.

Koopa Troopa Beach is a terrible course to choose. Toad can make the shortcut every time without a power up making other characters useless. Also the shortcut means the lap is less than half as long.It's also just a glorified oval.

OK for with this weeks I asked Rainbow Kirby to come up with a challenge for Super Smash Bros Melee because she seems comes across as an experienced SSBM player and this is what she came up with.

The Game : Super Smash Bros Melee
    The Challenge : How many LEVEL 1 CPU characters can you beat in 5 minutes ?
    The Stage : Pokemon Stadium
    The CPU characters : Samus, Young Link and Pikachu
    Player Carachter : Any

Personally I like the sound of it ! I think that this could be a really interesting challenge with some pretty high scores !

Again thanks to Rainbow Kirby for coming up with this challenge !!!

So whats everyone elses opinions ?

Sounds good to me. I'm crap at it but it's a hell of a lot of fun.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer - I like the idea of the fastest time in the sonic levels, plus its a game a lot of people have and play, plus I want to see just how good you claim to be !! hows about
    (A)The two stages in Emerald Hill Zone (1st zone) in Sonic 2 - a nice easy and fast level should be some fairly competitive scores there. The two scores are to be submitted singly and then totalled. The lowest total score wins overall.

OR

(B)Same idea but using Emerald Hill Zone in Origional sonic

OR

(C)Same idea on any of the harder levels on either of these games ?

Bloodbath - I doubt there would be too much intrest in mario kart two weeks in a row bt we can always put it on the back burner for a while and if the interest in the high score challenges keeps up we can pull it out again soon enough again.

I think MK64 is a bad idea. The emulation is a little bit from perfect. Also the emulated version runs much faster and smoother than the N64 original. It's also not a very good game, over rated in many peoples opinions.

Koopa Troopa Beach is a terrible course to choose. Toad can make the shortcut every time without a power up making other characters useless. Also the shortcut means the lap is less than half as long.It's also just a glorified oval.

Ok for starters the emulation is perfect. I have the latest version of project 64 and have not noticed a single glitch or problem. It looks 10 times better than the n64 version. So what if it runs faster? We would all be playing the same version. I never thought i'd hear a nintendo fan say mario kart 64 wasn't a good game. It's way better than the original.

I picked koopa troopa beach because it is relatively easy but can take a while to master for fast laps. You get 3 boosts at the start in mario 64 meaning u can make the jump on the 3 laps with any character. Anyways like I said if you want a hardish track go with banshee boardwalk.

It was just a suggestion because I was pissed u didn't use it last week instead of the original.

BloodBath wrote:
    It was just a suggestion because I was pissed u didn't use it last week instead of the original.

No-one was bashing your choice dude, seriously keep the suggestions coming - the higher the levels of interest and the more people who post what they want to play then the more chance of these games getting played :)

If anyone, including yourself, has any more suggestions for the challenges post them here or PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

might just have to fire up ssbm for this :)
    (i've only ever played it once though, so there's no way i could hope to win)

I've a feeling rainbowkirby is going to annihilate everybody on this one.

As for MK64, it's good but nowhere near as good as the rest of the series. There are far too many dull unchallenging levels such as Rainbow road. And it isn't a patch on the excellence of the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

mario kart 64 is extremely poor. diddy kong racing is where it's at. and koopa tropa beach is a stupid level to pick. there is a glitch where you can get 8 second lap times.

Have a friend that used to play nothing but that level. She would pick Toad and just keep taking the shortcut. Sucked the fun right out of the game.

FFs well it's obvious if anyone got an 8 second lap time they used this so called glitch. And retro any character can make the jump. Bloody blasphemy. You should all be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

F-zero Gx, The first track in the first cup (Twist road i think) booster heaven -Fastest Time.

If there is an f-zero GX challenge I hope it is on Aeropolis from the first cup. Fantastic track. Just please not mute city: serial gaps. That course is so infuriating :mad: Was doing great last night on Expert and lost all my ships on this track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Yay for Aeropolis! I love that one! :)
    Just picked up F-Zero GX again a few days ago for the first time in ages... soooooooo good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Cool, i'd be up for aeropolis.

fúckin right. aeropolis!!! this is one i know i am in with a chance(unless your a slitherin bastid ;) ) custom machines should be allowed but you have to state what parts you use for that machine

Retr0gamer wrote:
    If there is an f-zero GX challenge I hope it is on Aeropolis from the first cup. Fantastic track. Just please not mute city: serial gaps. That course is so infuriating :mad: Was doing great last night on Expert and lost all my ships on this track.

expert? pschhh Im a master!! :D I agree though that track is a bitch. I died so many feckin times when trying to win the cup on all levels. and it's only a 4star level when the AX cupp has some 5 and 6 star levels that are simple.

I'm only on expert :( Lost my save game a while back and couldn't be bothered doing the story missions again for a while. Didn't have many of them done anyway.

Don't think we should allow custom machines. I haven't bought any parts myself but also if we choose 1 car to race it will ensure that everyone is on a level playing field.

OK - so which one of you guys wants to set up this weeks F-Zero challenge ?

Also any suggestions regarding the Emulator challenge ?

F-zero GX
    Course: Aeropolis track (first cup, whatever it is called)
    Machine: Blue Falcon unmodified.
    Best time in 3 laps in a time trial. No other machines on track.

If anyone wants to suggest changes then suggest them. I think we should just stick to the one machine. Modified machines would unbalance it too much.

Thinking about an emulator one now.

I would like to have a high score challenge on dodonpachi or another cave shmup on Mame but maybe see how popular it is. Dipswitch settings below:
    Actually there are no dipswitches in the game.

Maybe something like high score on a single credit with Final Fight.

Or something truly ancient like Pac-Man.

It's a shame we haven't done an arcade game yet. They are a great high score challenge especially the new shumps that use score multipliers.

Yeah I kike the idea of a real "High Score" Arcade challenge - Maybe something like that but using the 3 lives - no continues system like it used to be ? I'm trying to think of games that could be used and all I can think of is -

*Final Fight (as you said)
    *Golden Axe (1,2 or 3) ?
    *Suppose Streets of Rage might work.

Um, ah i cant think at this hour of the morning - anyone else throw up their suggestions !!!

• Advertisement

Just thought of some more -
    *Bubble Bobble
    *Wonderboy
    *Rainbow Islands
    *Rodland
    (all dating back quite a while, some seriously retro stuff)

Advertisement