Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Check for Broadband Enabled Line

• 03-08-2005 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

How do the online checks for a broadband capable line work?

The ones that you just type in your phone number on the web site.

Are they just a database lookup or are they actually checking the line?

Reason I ask is that I have just moved house taking the number with me. I seem to remember that the line failed for the first few weeks in the new house then suddenly passed. Im hoping the same will happen in the new house. [/fingers crossed]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Smart Telecom have it on their website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Daemonic

The online checkers just look up your number in a database. Eircom test every line every month and the database is updated.
    Not sure how the providers not repackaging Eircom BB do their checks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

They say it happens monthly but I know for certain it was way over a month since my exchange was enabled. So I'm guessing its a lil longer then that, and also that although the exchange may be enabled, whatever patch panel /cabnet you're jacked into may not yet be ready.

It wont be a million years, keep the faith brotha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Im on the same exchange as I was before (had BB for 2 years) so I know the exchange is enabled.

However my theory is that when you get your number moved it sets the number to an indeterminate state in the database until the next test.

So Im hoping that as soon as it is retested it will pass. Might find out if I can get a 'real' test done.

Did hear a rumour that they might have used splitters on my street !

Rabies read my post properly mate ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

apparently,
    from what i was told wehn i was getting broadband -

they test enabled exchanges on a regular basis - ie once a month or so,
    but if you call in and request it they can hav it done by the following wednesday.

thats what happened with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Bear in mind Smarts on line test only checks if the exchange you are on is enabeled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

Chalk wrote:
    apparently,
    from what i was told wehn i was getting broadband -

they test enabled exchanges on a regular basis - ie once a month or so,
    but if you call in and request it they can hav it done by the following wednesday.

thats what happened with me.

Told me it could take up to 3 weeks!

Advertisement