Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Angels

• 03-08-2005 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Howye

I've heard there are nine orders (choirs?) of Angels and anytime I go looking on the internet nobody can seem to agree on which Angel is in which order, the actual number of orders, the number and membership of the Archangels and if the Archangels are also members of other orders.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

oasis.god.ie?

Where do the people you've looked up on the internet claim to get their information? We seem to have sketchy enough knowledge on the big issues in Christianity, I doubt any information about the micro-structure of angel orders would get passed down through the ages.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Angels are mentioned in the bible and are reckoned to be spiritual beings between humans and God (Gabriel, Michael & Raphael are the only ones named). I believe is was St. Thomas who mentioned the 9 choirs of angels, but I don't know in what context.
    From my studies ( :) ) of Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, fallen angels refer to those who rebelled against God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

A lot of angel lore comes from sources outside of Christian scripture, the Qaballah in particular, apocryphal books (the Book of Enoch in particular) the writings of John Dee, the Clavicula Salomonis etc. and local folk-lore from various places throughout Christendom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

St. Thomas Aquinas wrote about angels and their orders, including divine government and its organization in his Summa Theologiae. The 'Treatise on The Angels' and the 'Treatise on The Divine Government' are sections in this work. How accurate it is is another thing, but you might find it interesting reading.

Advertisement