Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

How do you convert a VHS tape to DVD

• 03-08-2005 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

I have a home video tape on VHS but want to convert it to DVD, Since vhs is not a thing of the past and to keep the tape from becoming unwatchable.

What do I need to do this. I've heard of thing like capture cards, but don't know where i should start looking?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

yeah...you need a video capture card...and the right cables (i think they are called rca cables) to connect the video player to the video card.

There should be a few threads here and in computers about all this...i'll have a search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

There are a few different ways you could go about it.

1. Get a consumer DVD recorder, (ie. one that you'd leave hooked up to your TV as part of your normal setup) and record deck to deck.

2. Record the tape from VCR (scart-out) to a video camera (that can record from another source via composite-in)... then transfer it over firewire to your PC... encode & burn to DVD.

3. Connect the VCR's scart output directly to your PC using either Composite (RCA jack) or Svideo to a video capture card.
    The scart output will also provide pins for audio output, which you'll be able to capture onto your PC using your soundcards line-in, or the video capture card may have audio inputs of its own.

4. Get someone else to do it for you.

It depends on what gear you already have... like option 2 there for example, you may already have a video camera that fits the bill, and your motherboard may have onboard firewire (as many do these days)... download a free capture program* and you'd be absolutely sorted without it costing you a penny.

* Check out VirtualDub, it's got a lot of nice capture features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hoffy

Week long ban.... Stop draggin up old posts.

John

Advertisement