Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best HD MP3 Player?

• 03-08-2005 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking into buying a HD MP3 player,I want about 20Gb. Don't want an iPod.

I researched this a good few months ago and decided that I really wanted an iRiver h320, then more recently I researched more and decided the Rio Karma was the best player for me in terms of price, quality and ease of use..

Now I have a load of cash and want to buy one of these babies I find the Rio Karma has been discontinued and the iRiver h320 isn't available at amazon anymore. €300 would be about my limit. I can get the h320 for about €330 online, which I might just about be able to afford, but I don't know if it is a wise choice or not...

So opinions people please! I'd be looking for something cheaper than €300, along the lines of the Rio Karma more than the iRiver, something easy to use(if possible I'd like to avoid all itunes and similar bull****), at least 20Gb, good sound quality etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I recently discovered the iriver H320 in argos for about €330 as well!
    I myself ordered a H320 from www.teamdigital.net and it came to €321 including postage, but i'm still waiting for it and i dont know if i'm going to get stung by customs which would piss me off majorly!!

IMO the iriver is the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Rio Karma's still my baby. You can still get it and its cheap. The build qualitys not that great, but the rest of it is, so if you can get it with a 3 year warranty, there's no reason not to. The new multi-plug charger's a really nice touch too.

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/sound-and-vision/personal-audio/mp3-players/171738/prices

I got mine from Comet - £160 with a 3 year warranty.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

HD5, I have the 3 and it is great the 5 is even better although doesn't look
    quite as nice and it is 299 or cheaper...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

h320 is under €300 new delivered on ebay. may be the lite version though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

The new Sony HD-5 is supposed to be excellent thinking abut getting one myslef plus it is very small and has a long battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I sell the buggers... and the nicest ones I've seen around recently are the I-Audio X5 (linky). We just got them into stock and they sold out over a weekend. That reminds me ... must order more today.

It looks like a definite iRiver beater. Check it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

For buying iRivers, check out:
    http://www.mx2.co.uk
    http://www.expansys.ie
    http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/
    I think somebody is selling their iRiver H120 20GB in the For Sale section here on boards. I've got the H140 40GB. Both of these models are hard to get as I think they are discontinued products. The latest models are the H320 and H340 as mentioned. Best of luck with your search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Bard wrote:
    I sell the buggers... and the nicest ones I've seen around recently are the I-Audio X5 (linky). We just got them into stock and they sold out over a weekend. That reminds me ... must order more today.

Seems to be on a par with the iRiver range but I wouldn't say it's better. Maybe someone who has one could enlighten us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Bard wrote:

I actually was just searching and came across the X5, where do you sell them? It appears they're not out in Europe yet though... how much are they?

Hmm... I've found a Rio Karma for £140(About €210?), I think I'll go with it, to get an iRiver or X5 would cost me an extra €100 which i'd rather not spend just for a color screen and subpar video playback...

• Advertisement

Just ordered an iAudio X5 :p €280 new of ebay inc. postage.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I actually was just searching and came across the X5, where do you sell them? It appears they're not out in Europe yet though... how much are they?

I sell them in Harvey Norman in Dundalk. The X-5 itself is out of stock right now but we have the other models (the U2[1Gb], the 5[1Gb] and the G3[512Mb]) and we'll have the X-5[20Gb] back VERY soon.

I wouldn't say it's "on par" with the iRiver H320 - I'd say it's better. Much easier interface, faster smarter menus, more file formats supported - plus support for MP4 Video files. Funky!

Bard wrote:
    I sell them in Harvey Norman in Dundalk. The X-5 itself is out of stock right now but we have the other models (the U2[1Gb], the 5[1Gb] and the G3[512Mb]) and we'll have the X-5[20Gb] back VERY soon.

I wouldn't say it's "on par" with the iRiver H320 - I'd say it's better. Much easier interface, faster smarter menus, more file formats supported - plus support for MP4 Video files. Funky!

Yeah, the only put off for me is the lack of id3 database sorting but they're sorting that out with a firmware upgrade soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

aaf wrote:
    Seems to be on a par with the iRiver range but I wouldn't say it's better. Maybe someone who has one could enlighten us!

I have the X5L 20gb version.
    It really is a very excellent bit of kit. Screen is very clear and bright if a little small..large enough to watch a half hour episode of Trailer Park Boys for sure but perhaps a whole movie would be pushing it. Viewing photos is well handy too.
    Connects to many (but not all) digital cameras and card readers as a USB Host which was the killer feature for me.
    Battery life is up to spec...I have the extended battery 'L' version and it really does do about 30+ hours...I was away for a week recently and didn't charge it at all while away...used it every day too :D
    Sound quality is 10/10. Supports FLAC and OGG as well as the usual suspects. No DRM support yet (Oh dear..how sad :D ) but a rumoured firmware update should add it for those that insist on this kind of stuff.
    Downsides are that the supplied earphones are a bit crap (but aren't they all) and it does not come with a case.
    All in all a thumbs up from me. Hope this helps somebody make up their mind...for or against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

The archos Gmini xs200 is another cheap alternative. Its small and well built with easy and quick file transfer via USB 2. Ill be ordering mien as soon my cheque form working at the Galway races clears (Damn Banks!)
    link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Archos Gmini 400 or 402. Beats anything hands down in the same price range for the sheer number of features. Colour screen, Photos, Movies, TV output, Direct WAV recording (hook it up to a desk and you have a basic dat machine) excellent signal to noise ratio, plays games (mophun), and its the same size as an ipod! Oh and don't forget the built in Compact Flash reader for PCless photo transfer and storage. goto komplett.ie €299 inc shipping.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

creative jukebox...the original and the best

You ARE joking... aren't you?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

hey i was the bees knees when i got it when it came out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Bard wrote:
    You ARE joking... aren't you?

No, I don't think she is. For €220 for a 20gig creative zen touch, I'd recomment it anyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

hey i was the bees knees when i got it when it came out

I totally agree. Original and to this day creative have kept their reputation going strong!

(sorry bout the double post, stupid browser!)

Eh... where will you get them for €220?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭tylerdylan

The o2 shop in henry street dublin are selling the rio karma for 239.

tylerdylan wrote:
    The o2 shop in henry street dublin are selling the rio karma for 239.

what a rip off, they're going for about €60 on ebay...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Bard wrote:
    Eh... where will you get them for €220?

From Komplett. Although shipping would have to paid on top of that. And I'm sure ebay have cheaper ones than that knocking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Ye, as zapho no's i got me a creative zen 20gb (older model) and i find it great. Easy interface and good battery life. For those kinda prices i think its a great choice :) .

Ah right, so not from an actual retail outlet store then. Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Anybody know anything about the TOSHIBA GigaBeat?
    I've read some really great reviews of it.

no, but it does look great, dunno if its on sale here tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

sorry to jump in on this thread but i have a 60gb zen xtra and the hard drive has finally kicked the bucket. Rang creative and they said to replace the harddrive it would cost €160 . coulsd i puick up a 60gb harddrive for it online and install it myself or should i just bin it and get a new one . the iaudio x5 looks nice. The only ptrob is that i had almost 50gb of music on the zen and most of the new HDD's only have 20/30gb.

any toughts

cheers

Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Still a good player and sounds better than an iPod. But its not as good as the more recent players from Cowon, Creative and iRiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭flowerpotfrog

i bounce around these gadget/computer forums a bit and i've never heard ricardosmith say something stupid. why isn't he a SMOD or whatever those things are?

Advertisement