Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi !

• 04-08-2005 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey, guys Todd here. I'm not sure i'm posting in the right place so feel free to move yhis if im not.

I'm posting this from Iowa, but i'm going to be moving to dublin this fall. It'll be my first time in the uk so i'm really excited about coming over.

Its looking like i might be staying in the city center, around phibsboro, i hope i spelled that right! lol

Anyway just makin introductions, as i said, move this if it doesnt belong here.

Cool

Todd Roberts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Ireland isnt part of the UK, but anyway. And your moving here this autumn :p

Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ToddHammer

Hey T-Bone,
    Ireland isnt part of the UK, but anyway.
    Sorry man. Should I say British Isles. Is the UK only the island that London is on?
    And your moving here this autumn
    Where I'm from, America, we say fall. Sorry for any confusion.

What do you do with yourself bro? lol

Cool.

Todd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Sorry man. Should I say British Isles. Is the UK only the island that London is on?

We are the Republic of Ireland, or plain old Ireland if you want. UK if the island that London is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

and the north of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

up the irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Id be careful mate.
    American folks usually get beaten up on sight.
    Try and disguise your accent. Pretend youre canadian, mabye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

twa2a.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭[Core]

Yeah everyone loves canadians. Also, shout "ANTO'S A SCUMBAG" alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭weemcd

you need to get fitted out in all the latest nike air max gear to be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭o Fiac

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Jeez, go easy on the guy! OK, the UK thing was a bit of a mistake, but be nice. How many of us know all about Iowa? I know I couldn't even find it on a map.

Todd, ignore FuzzyLogics comment. It's rubbish. He's just being a twat as we say in Ireland.

But Winters map is quite amusing :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

John Wayne was from IOWA, was he not?

Even I know where Iowa is. My parcel flew from there last night and arrived at my door this morning.

Also, a lot Americans travelling abroad actually put canadian flags on their bags so as not to get attacked or pointed out. Its true you know, cant remember which hostel / country I was in at the time when I found it out .. but its true ¬_¬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Oh goodness, we're not giving a great impression of Ireland are we?! Jumping on the poor lad because he made a couple of errors and hinting that we love to beat up Americans?! :eek:

Todd, Phibsboro is a nice place, and not too far away from the city centre. There are a large Tesco supermarket there, a big post office, and dozens of little shops - ranging from "Bob's Bargain Hut" (essentially a cheap and cheerful junk shop) to health food shops, butchers, bookshops...and quite a few pubs. It's a nice part of the city but as with anywhere else, you'd need to have your wits about you. It's within walking distance from the city centre, but there are a lot of buses too. If there's anything else you'd like to know, just ask!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Sweetness!

Hey Todd we're not all this bad some people in Ireland are actually friendly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Too late you have all scared him away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Winters wrote:
    Also, a lot Americans travelling abroad actually put canadian flags on their bags so as not to get attacked or pointed out. Its true you know, cant remember which hostel / country I was in at the time when I found it out .. but its true ¬_¬
    Maybe abroad, but not here hopefully.
    This island would be a backwards hole with no importance if it wasnt for US investment. We owe a lot to the yanks.
    Not only that, but we're just so influenced by US culture, its just not funny.
    I cant stand people who dislike Americans. Enough with the generalisation people!!!
    Fair enough, I cant stand their government, but dont take it out on the visitors.... you'd be surprised how many of them hate Bush & Co too!

It was Belgium/Netherlands I was in at the time iirc.
    you'd be surprised how many of them hate Bush & Co too!
    Not enough looking at their last election ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Maynooth

Excellent map Winters!!!! lol :D

Welcome to Ireland Todd, I hope you enjoy your time here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ToddHammer wrote:
    Its looking like i might be staying in the city center, around phibsboro, i hope i spelled that right! lol
    Also spelt Phibsborough, but pronounced the same.

• Advertisement

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies from all the Irish in the boards.ie house.

Man I didnt think that the whole UK/Ireland thing was such a sore issue. My bad. Gonna get busy with some Irish history before I open my yapper!
    American folks usually get beaten up on sight
    I wrestled for my college in Iowa so lol. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the homeboys and homegirls showing love to the Hammer.

Cool

Todd "The Hammer" Roberts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

Ill show you alot of love hammer, too much, might be a bit over the top, but thats how i work. You should really do a bit of research on a country's history before you go there, might stop you getting into trouble! :D
    Alot of people would find you saying being part of the UK here in Ireland quite offensive, and probably wouldnt show you very much love. But it doesnt matter your just ignorant, and dont worry ill show you plenty of love!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I hope you have a good time when you come over here but please for the love of god don't try to use irish slang till you understand it.It is one of the most annoying thing a person can do.But i hope you have fun when you come here :D

Ill show you alot of love hammer, too much, might be a bit over the top, but thats how i work. You should really do a bit of research on a country's history before you go there, might stop you getting into trouble!

Hey there. Gonna bone up on some irish history. Dont wanna annoy anyone else. lol

If you're coming onto me I just want to make it clear that I'm interested in chicks not dudes. I dont really agree with homosexuality bus as long as you're happy then thats cool with me bro! lol

Everyone is ignorant until experience teaches them. Now I know how not to step on toes.

Hey Aisling,
    of god don't try to use irish slang till you understand it.
    Thats cool with me. Did I use some Irish slang. I might learn Gaelic when Im over there. At least learn to use your guys slang the proper way. lol
    But i hope you have fun when you come here
    Me too. Can't wait to have a few keg parties with some of you guys.

Anyway keep it cool,

Todd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

i still love you todd

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    American folks usually get beaten up on sight
    ToddHammer wrote:
    I wrestled for my college in Iowa so lol. :rolleyes:
    Todd "The Hammer" Roberts
    First, I was being Ironic.
    Second: I've also partaken in this american wrestling. lol. You'd have no more chance of singing a fellow to submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭weemcd

im wee "dirty sanchez" mc gee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

ToddHammer wrote:
    I might learn Gaelic when Im over there

Don't bother, it's a touchy subject here - forced to study it in school but nobody really uses it.

Forgot to mention that there's also a football ground in Phibsboro - it's called Dalymount. I have no idea what team plays there (the Soccer board might help you out there) but it's local, it's handy and you might be interested in going to a couple of matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Dalymount is Bohemians ground. There is another stadium, a little further away, slightly larger with much more exciting stuff in it. Croke Park is the place to go to see a real bit of Irish sport.

KKCEMarch.jpg

HActions.jpg

That is one of our national sports, Hurling, the fastest field game in the world. All my own photos by the way. Here are some more of Dublin that I've taken:
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~flukey/DublinCity.htm

• Advertisement

Thought that mega chinese table tennis was the fastest game in the world?

Advertisement