Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De Ja Vu

• 04-08-2005 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Does anyone think that de ja vu has something to do with already living your life but you are re-living it because you have a purpose to fulfill?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 djblueice

I think it more remains as, you know wuts going to happen so you think it, and then it happens, like a physic.. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭phil15

djblueice wrote:
    I think it more remains as, you know wuts going to happen so you think it, and then it happens, like a physic.. :eek:
    thats no deja vu. deja vu is knowing you have experienced the feeling of being in a place/situation before but there is no possible way you could have been. being psychic is quite different

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

phil15 wrote:
    Does anyone think that de ja vu has something to do with already living your life but you are re-living it because you have a purpose to fulfill?
    No.

It is certainly an occurrance that might fuel such speculation, for those who are of the inclination towards some kind of reincarnation view. But IMO you'd need to already that way inclined to accept this as a possible answer.

I'm of the belief that the mind is such a complex mechanism that what we term "deja vu" could simply be a trigger of past experiences - even when it seems that the current experience is completely new. In a way memories are causing the the mind to play tricks on us. But hey, I ain't a neurologist.

When you hear hooves; don't think of zebras. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I'd say déja vu is just just a neuronal thing, there's nothing transcendant about it. Nothing mystical.

But, it seems to me more the bodily rememberance of sentiments or strong emotions more than the flooding in of a memory. When I get déja vu, I tend to think of it in terms of a memory of a feeling that's lost its mooring, its reference, but something you experience in the present triggers this response.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cazeone

I always guessed it had something to do with a new memory (something stored in the immediate memory, which only holds a second or two I think) getting incorrectly 'tagged' as a more distant memory. The expereience of it's mental expression is identical to a distant memory, but it doesn't seem to have any contextual information related to that distance, which gives it that slightly weird feeling not associated with normal memories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Could it be your subconcious "foreseeing" the situation by picking up on things your concious wouldn't notice? Or even just thinking ahead?
    Boring example (skip if you want):
    Say for instance you were looking for cereal, and there was none, and you said damn. then you got a feeling of deja vu. This might be because yesterday, you noticed there was very little cereal left, and your brother say gets up before you (and so eats the little cereal). And you say damn alot. if you thought about it, you would have been able to see the situation, but only your subconcious did, while thinking ahead and running through various possible situations for the morning. (you know the way that sometimes you plan things ahead, even conversations, sometimes?)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cazeone

Flashling wrote:
    Could it be your subconcious "foreseeing" the situation by picking up on things your concious wouldn't notice? Or even just thinking ahead?
    Boring example (skip if you want):
    Say for instance you were looking for cereal, and there was none, and you said damn. then you got a feeling of deja vu. This might be because yesterday, you noticed there was very little cereal left, and your brother say gets up before you (and so eats the little cereal). And you say damn alot. if you thought about it, you would have been able to see the situation, but only your subconcious did, while thinking ahead and running through various possible situations for the morning. (you know the way that sometimes you plan things ahead, even conversations, sometimes?)
    I think that's unlikely as I've often had very specific occurances of deja vu, they might involve a unique incident, even down to words spoken and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭roberteboot

cazeone wrote:
    I always guessed it had something to do with a new memory (something stored in the immediate memory, which only holds a second or two I think) getting incorrectly 'tagged' as a more distant memory. The expereience of it's mental expression is identical to a distant memory, but it doesn't seem to have any contextual information related to that distance, which gives it that slightly weird feeling not associated with normal memories.

I like the sound of this.It sounds pretty reasonable.Although it seems to me that de ja vu is "as it happens" if you know what i mean.You are experiencing the feeling as events happen rather than a little after it which your post would indicate.Although if it was down to milliseconds i suppose you might not notice the small gap between the event and the de ja vu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

cazeone wrote:
    I think that's unlikely as I've often had very specific occurances of deja vu, they might involve a unique incident, even down to words spoken and the like.
    But couldn't the incident be a possibilty that your subconcious has "foreseen"? Think about it alot, and you might see some things that had you thought about them conciously you might have known what would happen. (I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, it's just a theory)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I think the wikipedia article explains it quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I think its just a glitch in the matrix, when they change something!

Of course im just kidding. I like the sound of the subconscious mind that threw out by flashling but i dont think its correct. Example of me having de ja vu in a foreign country that id never been to speaking with a person id never seen. I think it ties in with pre recognition. I once had a strange case of going around prague and knowing exactly where a small street led to and what it looked like, despite the fact that I had never been there. Now the easy answer there is oh maybe in a book or website you seen it but it was more than that, more a feeling like i had been there many times. Strange.

Me personally i think (and switch off now if you like) that there are many levels of time and consciousness running parallel. Often your brain may for a brief moment change its wave patter and just glitch and switch to a different level until you recognise it and your brain immediately flips back on track. The reason it isn't too strange is that the level you switch to may be an extremely close one. Say your on the 7th floor of a 15 floor building. Your brain switches for a second but only goes to the 8th or the 6th floor. The further you move away from your current level the stranger things get. Maybe thats why almost everything is the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

It's unusual to say the least. I get it alot, and often with things that I wouldn't have any way of predicting subconsciously. The main one I can remember now is kicking a ball at my girlfriends brother on the beach with her sitting next to me. I remembered the time I originally dreamt this being confused, as I knew neither person at the time.

I am sure its things we dream, but often do not remember them until the event occurs, and even then it is usually a faint recollection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

I remember having dreams as a youngfella and thinking when I woke up that was a stange situation that I could'nt concievably be involved in(at the time). And then of course finding myself in, our more precisely, doing the tasks that I had dreamed. Now we do a hell of a lot of dreaming in our lifetime and we must run through at least at least a million differnt senarios in our minds, so of course I would have to concide the mental aborition thing.

But... :D

I was watching a program the other night on the iris of the eye. It showed that when the iris takes in an image it's upside down and the brain flips it back around. Now that shows that nature somtimes dosnt handle or go about things the way you would nessessarly think.

But at end of day the eye is physical and so is light, so what has this got to do with Deja-vu, people and time?

Well, the eye is also an example of the way that nature uses anything at it's disposal, chemical or wave spectrum, to help with survival. But just enough to get the job done.

Now itself. Does nature use time to get the "job" done? Yes. Timed delays in nature are all around, so time is part of the armory so to speak.

Time isnt really like any of the other fators that we can measure, it's 'perspective' for lack of better word or 'movable' for an even worse use of words.

And so are we...

Like the workings of the eye, does time in fact come in 'upside down' and get fliped around by nature?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

bus77 wrote:
    Like the workings of the eye, does time in fact come in 'upside down' and get fliped around by nature?
    Don't all or at least some lenses work like this? Telescope lenses initally turn an image upside-down. It's all to do with light waves being refracted at angles - pure physics I guess.

Still, it's an interesting theory and I guess we always need them (even if only to prove them wrong). However see my sig for more details... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

What you see with your "eyes" is a representitive image produced by your brain. The iris does in fact recieve images upside down, the lens on the eye does this due to its curvature exactly the same way a camera lens does it. When the brain recieves an image from the iris it flips it and fliters out everything that it doesn't want, i.e. waves, different lights and other sort of things.

I've heard a story of if you train your mind and come to terms with the fact that you actually see with your brain and not your eyes you can start to see everthing that there is to see. Now dont ask me how to do this but apparently its true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

iregk wrote:
    I've heard a story of if you train your mind and come to terms with the fact that you actually see with your brain and not your eyes you can start to see everthing that there is to see. Now dont ask me how to do this but apparently its true.

I doubt it - your brain would be overloaded with information!

Anyways, I'm going to close this thread. The OP's question has been answered and the thread is drifting off in all sorts of directions, many of which would be more suited to the biology board or other boards yet.

As usual, feel free to PM me if there's any problem with this.

simu

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement