Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain Bike tyres

Options
  • 04-08-2005 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm going to start cycling again for fitness. I'm going to use my brother's mountain bike but they need new tyres.

Just wondering could people tell me how much your average set of tyres would cost you. I've seen a thread on the boards where a guy got totally ripped off getting his bike fixed so I don't want that happening to me.

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

As mary harney would say, shop around!!
    The cost depends on what you are going to do. If you are just going to be using it for road use, then you can get slicks or semi-slicks which will make the cycle much easier and nicer.

If you have a credit card, ordering from england might be the best option. Not only are the prices cheaper but the range is much bigger too. I know chain reaction cycles (www.chainreactioncycles.com) have a big sale on at the moment, and their prices include delivery to ireland. Alternatively merlin cycles (www.merlincycles.co.uk) also ship to ireland. I have found their prices to be cheaper but dont include postage! But a phone call to your local bike shop will let you do a comparison

Id say €30 should be enough to get a new set of reasonably good tyres and cheaper for basic tyres
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Got a new tyre and tube for €17.50.
    Recently got a new mountain bike or ATB, and got road tyres put on it (dunno how much the cost) but makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Downtime wrote:
    Recently got a new mountain bike or ATB, and got road tyres put on it (dunno how much the cost) but makes a huge difference.

dead right, I picked up a pair from Cycleways in Dublin for about 40 quid (I'm sure you can get cheaper). They make an MTB look a bit funny at first, but you sure appreciate them when you are whizzing past crazy-fools with 2 inch tyres!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I put Continental Sport Contact 26x1.3 tyres on my mtn bike.
    Pros: Great puncture resistance and great speed.
    Cons: not cheapest (e26 in bikedock.com ); a bitch to put on (purposely very tight according to Continental - broke my plastic tyre irons - now have metal ones).

I bought mine at Cyclogical on Bachelors Walk. Mmm, didn't give me the included Continental tube until I pushed for it ("It says on the website that this tyre includes a tube").

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

All good suggestions above. Specialized Nimbus tyres are good too (available from Cycleways). Some tyres offer better puncture protection than others - these will cost a bit more but it's definitely worth it.

As someone said before, get slick tyres if you're just going to be riding on the street, it'll make your riding smoother, faster and easier.

Slick:
    5851.jpg

Knobbly:
    4611.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement