Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designing Room

Options
  • 04-08-2005 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

hey i really cant find another place to post this so be gentle... anyway so im redecorating my room and i want to plan out where to put stuff before i do so is there any interior design program where you can enter in mesrment and stuff of furniture and room space to get a simple over head interactive diagram?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Pen and paper always worked fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Probably bette here methinks.

What I did is get some graph paper, mark out scale outlines of my furniture, and then cut it out. Then on a separate sheet of graph paper, draw the outline of your room using the same scale, and remember to include things like the room needed to open the door, wardrobe, and permanent fixtures. Then you can freely position the cut-out pieces as you see fit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭uzami

Haven't tried this but.........................

http://www.club8.com/Default.asp?ID=19954

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

do a searc for Kitchen Draw - they have a 30hr free trial for designing kitchens but Im sure it wil work for a room

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

i'll try that program dont know if its free tho... and the kitchen one.. i doubt that they will have the diagrams for beds and dressers and stuf if its 3d like the first one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

I do interior design & the graph paper suggestion is the best way to mark out your room & furniture positioning.

Buy some graph paper & get hold of a scale ruler - 1:50 is a good scale for mapping out rooms, and then measure everything, draw out the shape of the room, do the same with the furniture (and colour in the paper for this because it will hep you to see it more clearly against the graph paper)

And then have some fun!

If you've any questions, feel free to PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

ive started decorating my room, very slow tho.
    i started by building a little 1:15 model of my room with little bed and other stuff. yes i hav too much time on my hands. i hav a small room so didnt take that long.

i hate pine, and i hav pine floorboards in my room. should i paint over them, carpet the room or put down new tongue and groove over existing floor or am i just talking crap?

there are3 some great ideas in interior design magazines like Livingetc.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

It depends on what look you want to achieve & the comfort level you want..

If you want a nice airy New England look, sand & paint the boards white & seal with clear varnish

If you want a bit of luxury, invest in a really nice carpet (keep it neutral)

If you want a quick fix, lash down some laminate - light oak is a gorgeous colour to use

We have wooden flooring downstairs in cherry, cream porcelain tiles in the kitchen & bathrooms and carpet in the bedrooms, stairs & landing. Carpeting minimises noise, but needs to be hoovered & isn't too good if you suffer from allergies. Wood is lovely but cold underfoot so a good rug is always an idea to bear in mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Optimus

Sketch up 5 is brilliant for designing stuff once you get used to it, did my own room and some furniture in it.

Advertisement