Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice

Options
  • 04-08-2005 5:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

Working in New Zealand have bought a second hand 1996 Japanese import Isuzu Bighorn 3.1D with Lotus suspension for about 16NZD (about 8 to 9,000 Euro).

It would cost about 2 to 4 thousand to ship to Ireland is it worth it?

Ps. Insurance for myself and my wife is about 500NZD (300 Euro), driving here is a lot cheaper than Ireland.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do you own it more than 6 months (before coming here) and wouldn't plan on selling it for 12 after coming here?
    Otherwise it is subject to VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Assuming its a passanger vehicle:

Tax on that beast will be €1343 P/A

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I looked into the whole VRT-free importing thing a while ago when I was supposed to be living up north for about 6 months. You have to own the vehicle for 6 months at a minimum, often a year for some countries (where they don't have local motor tax etc), and you also have to be living there for at least a year - This is why they said I couldn't import from the UK, as although I'd have the car 6 months, I wouldn't have been living there for a full year.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

Passanger vechicle. Will own it for more than a year here and understand would have to own it for more than a year or so after returning...however did not know it would be 1343 a year on tax alone...total costs here are very small so not an issue still a lot of V6 petrols around. I suppose insurance on it would be a killer as well....might just have to stay here :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

A 1996 ISUZU Trooper Bighorn passenger might fetch around €12000. Not a great market for passenger 4x4 of that vintage, and remember it will be at least 10 years old by the time you come to sell it.

Best 7-seater to import would be the Landcruiser, followed by the Pajero, the Trooper, unfortunately, is well down the list of desirability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A 1996 ISUZU Trooper Bighorn passenger might fetch around €12000

You'd do well to get half that in a private sale. I agree that there won't be buyers lined up

Best leave it over there mate

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

Thanks for that will do, does not sound like its worth the hassle. Dont want to bring back a land cruiser as to much investment capital involved and the engine size etc. here are slightly different.

However a friend of mine is over here and thinking of bring back a new Hyundia Tuscan...he says the model here is the same as in Ireland, it would be two years old by the time he comes to selling it I suppose.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

will have to pay both vrt and vat as it an ouside eu country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

lomb wrote:
    will have to pay both vrt and vat as it an ouside eu country.
    ...and possibly DUTY as well !!

That , and the huge shipping cost ....not a good deal in my books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

A mate of mine is bringing back an STi and is filling the container with other things to sell when he comes back. cars are dirt cheap over there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

I lived in NZ for 16 months my advice is STAY THERE!!! It is a far far better place to live in than Ireland in every way that I can think of not just the freedom to drive a decent car for a decent cost. If you don't HAVE to come back to Ireland don't, the things you probably miss (the craic in the pub for instance) are dead and gone. Good rashers and the smell of turf thats it, thats all we've got left. If bord na mona and dennys get together and make an air freshener we got nothin. :D

Advertisement