Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thin SD cards used by Nokia?

• 04-08-2005 8:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

Hi I just got my 6230 and I planned on using my existing memory cards. I have now discovered that for what ever reason Nokia decided to use thiner than normal SD cards so they won't fit. It is obvious that my ordinary SD cards are slightly thicker than the one that came with the phone. Which makes or models do fit in Nokia phones?
    Somebody mentioned they had a 1 gig card in the phone so there is some make.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Star, they are mini SD cards. I have a 512 one in mine that i ordered off expansys for €49, took about 4 days to deliever. The cool thing as well is that you get the adaptor with them so that you can also fit the mini card into a normal size sd slot for say a pda.

Hope that helps. Oh if you want the expansys web site drop me a note or im pretty sure you can guess it. Its irish after all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Hi I just got my 6230 and I planned on using my existing memory cards. I have now discovered that for what ever reason Nokia decided to use thiner than normal SD cards so they won't fit.

hi, the 6230 uses MultiMedia Cards (MMC) not SD cards or MiniSD cards.

although Nokia are beginning to move towards MiniSD cards in some models, those models have only been announced and aren't available yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Sorry maybe i should have said mine wasn't a nokia phone!!! Thought they were the same though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

although Nokia are beginning to move towards MiniSD cards in some models, those models have only been announced and aren't available yet
    I must admit I am a little confused the MMC cards are practicly identical to SD cards. The MMC card fits into the SD slots on my other devices and works?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

MMC fits into SD slots but SD cards won't go into MMC slots.
    As you say the MMCs are a bit smaller and saves a bit of space.

In fairness to nokia all the specs say MMC card and I am not aware
    they have ever had a phone that takes SD cards..

• Advertisement

All the newer phones are using reduced size MMC cards, are you saying that they will be stopping this for future phones?

Anybody want a SD card with 256mb? :D
    I had it for another device I just wanted to use it to save me some money but I guess I will have to get MMC.

check out mobymemory for good deals on tested MMC cards, they will
    be sure to work with the phone...

daveym wrote:
    All the newer phones are using reduced size MMC cards, are you saying that they will be stopping this for future phones?

Nokia have speced MiniSD cards for some of their 'coming soon' models, you can find out more about them on the site:

they announced SD Card support in September '04, with the two models above being among the first to use the MiniSD variety:
    Nokia adds SD Card technologies into its flash memory card portfolio

Nokia have speced MiniSD cards for some of their 'coming soon' models, you can find out more about them on the site:

they announced SD Card support in September '04, with the two models above being among the first to use the MiniSD variety:
    Nokia adds SD Card technologies into its flash memory card portfolio

Cheers for the links, interesting.
    Would have thought they should have jumped straight to miniSD rather than take the step to RS-MMC in the meantime.
    Who knows what they are thinking though...

"The new RS-MMC will be compatible with RS-MMC, and MMC and SD (through an interface jacket). The mini-SD standard will be compatible with mini-SD and SD.

NB. The new RS-MMC slot and mini-SD slot devices are never likely to be compatible with each others' card formats, because the mini-SD is squarish, whilst the RS-MMC is longer and narrower. Unfortunately, not every design decision taken over standards is always in the best interest of the consumer!
    "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

www.komplett.ie -> memory -> MMC cards

The Twinmos 1GB suits my Nokia 6230 without issues :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

i pm'ed you the details to get a cheap 1gb card hope you got it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

sorry does any1 have any idea what type of card the nokia 6600 uses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

MMC as far as I know ... have a look around www.nokia.com/6600 just to be sure though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sarge wrote:
    i pm'ed you the details to get a cheap 1gb card hope you got it

Can u post the details for every one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

I must admit I am a little confused the MMC cards are practicly identical to SD cards. The MMC card fits into the SD slots on my other devices and works?
    Nokia used the MMC format over SD to save on paying licensing fees; MMC is an open format, SD is a proprietary format.

Both are the same size, but MMC is a little slimmer than SD.

MMC has 7 connectors, SD has 5.

All MMC can be used in a SD port, but SD won't work in a MMC port.

(I'm sure there'll be a bit more info on wiki.)

They decided last year to start using SD because they got a lot of bad press when MMC prices were almost double that of SD.

HTH.

dearg_doom wrote:
    Nokia used the MMC format over SD to save on paying licensing fees; MMC is an open format, SD is a proprietary format.

Both are the same size, but MMC is a little slimmer than SD.

MMC has 7 connectors, SD has 5.

All MMC can be used in a SD port, but SD won't work in a MMC port.

(I'm sure there'll be a bit more info on wiki.)

They decided last year to start using SD because they got a lot of bad press when MMC prices were almost double that of SD.

HTH.

but its ridiculous that they went to RS-MMC and are now making the move
    to mini-SD which is much more expensive than SD and MMC at the moment.
    So the price thing doesn't ring true..

I guess they just wanted to optimise the space available in a tiny phone. And these days everyone practically expects to get a big memory card, so the price wouldn't mean as much as when it was a novelty. Still I agree they're far too expensive for what ye get!

When I first got my 6600 about 18 months ago there was a big stink and I can remember hearing similar moans long into the 6600's life.

yeah, sounds like they have made some deal with SD to use the cards after
    holding out for so long.
    pity for anyone who gets one of the phones with RS-MMC, buys themselves
    a big card, upgrades a while later and then has an RS-MMC that is no
    good to them...

daveym wrote:
    yeah, sounds like they have made some deal with SD to use the cards after
    holding out for so long.
    pity for anyone who gets one of the phones with RS-MMC, buys themselves
    a big card, upgrades a while later and then has an RS-MMC that is no
    good to them...
    I think the the trick is to by the RS-MMC as they have adapters that allow them be used in a normal MMC slot and therefore also SD slots.

• Advertisement

i think the point he was making is that as Nokia are using SDMini cards (not regular/full-size SD cards) RS-MMC owners would have an issue, there's no RS-MMC to SDMini adapter

i think the point he was making is that as Nokia are using SDMini cards (not regular/full-size SD cards) RS-MMC owners would have an issue, there's no RS-MMC to SDMini adapter
    Are you sure, if fullsize MMCs can work in fullsize SD slots, surely RS-MMC can work in miniSD slots?

That's how I thought it works, meaning a RS-MMC ye have today will be usable for a long time, or at least until they are replaced by evenmoreRS-MMC;)

dearg_doom wrote:
    Are you sure, if fullsize MMCs can work in fullsize SD slots, surely RS-MMC can work in miniSD slots?

That's how I thought it works, meaning a RS-MMC ye have today will be usable for a long time, or at least until they are replaced by evenmoreRS-MMC;)

that was the point I was making and I don't think they will be compatible as
    mentioned above from mobymemory:

"NB. The new RS-MMC slot and mini-SD slot devices are never likely to be compatible with each others' card formats, because the mini-SD is squarish, whilst the RS-MMC is longer and narrower. Unfortunately, not every design decision taken over standards is always in the best interest of the consumer"

dearg_doom wrote:

That's how I thought it works, meaning a RS-MMC ye have today will be usable for a long time, or at least until they are replaced by evenmore RS-MMC ;)

RS-MMCs won't fit into MiniSD slots, have a differnet pin orientation and as RS-MCCs are physically bigger than MiniSD cards there is no adaper that could make it happen

an RS-MMC you buy today will be usable for along time in RS-MMC slots, or with an adapter in MMC and SD slots, not MiniSD slots though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I just picked up a 1gb Twin MOS MMC for E62 on Ebay for my 6230I - best price i've seen

Aw man!! that is crap, ye see I was assuming that the guys who designed the original ones in such a consumer friendly way would do the same for the RS versions... I guess big business really couldn't give a **** about what's convenient for you and me though.

OT/ I bet I know why the SD guys did it, they have lost a lot of market share to MMC's and have had a terrible year results-wise, profit warnings etc.. They probably blame it on mobiles using MMC; but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just their own lazy profit taking ways, I mean 1GB has been the max sized SD for ages(2GB is out for a little while, but is fairly exp), a couple of years ago they were talking about 8GB SD's by xmas '05; But it's probably easier to make a profit of smaller cards than take chances on larger cards. I hate corporate laziness.

/back on topic:)
    MobyMemory is a great site tho, I can heartily reccomend them, that's where I got my first MMC about a million years ago:) Great service.

Advertisement