Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Score Challenge # 4 - EMULATOR

Options
  • 04-08-2005 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

The Game : Sonic the hedgehog 2 (as suggested by Retr0gamer)
    The Challenge : Fastest time through both acts in Emerald Hill Zone (first zone)
    Criteria : Post your time for both acts AND your total time.

This should be a fast challenge to complete, winner announced next thursday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Ok, just to get the ball rolling here... (hee hee, sonic pun)

Emerald Hill Zone
    Act 1 - 26 seconds (Click for the pic)
    Act 2 - 55 seconds (Click for the pic)
    Total 1:21

A question though... do both times have to be from the same attempt/run? Or can you take your best time from Act1 and use it with your best time from Act2?
    My times in this case are from the same attempt, since I think that's what is implied.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Ok, just to get the ball rolling here... (hee hee, sonic pun)

Emerald Hill Zone
    Act 1 - 26 seconds (Click for the pic)
    Act 2 - 55 seconds (Click for the pic)

A question though... do both times have to be from the same attempt/run? Or can you take your best time from Act1 and use it with your best time from Act2?
    My times in this case are from the same attempt, since I think that's what is implied.

Yep same run. Could you also add your total time for the two to your post please ? Just to save me having to get a calculator out when trying to work out the winner. :)

c - 13 wrote:
    Could you also add your total time for the two to your post please ?
    Yeah, sorry, spotted that just after I posted... edited now.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Erm, isnt using an emulator kinda defunct? - I mean to get the best score all you would have to do is press the "save state" key regurlarly so that if I make a small mistake I just load back to the last point and continue - you can accomplish the most ridiculous things in games if you use an emulator - you could finish Mortal Kombat 3 - the cheapest and hardest game ever without taking a single hit. Also you can do the Metal Slug games without a single death this way. Some of the newer emulators come with a "time-stretch" option too which allows you to slow everything down (including the game's-clock) just look at this dood - http://www.download.com/Super-Mario-Bros-3-11-Minute-Completion-video/3640-7563_4-10251159.html
    this guy (on top of cheating a bit) used the "save and load" technique to finish the game so fast (hence the strange jerkiness of the video)

(btw. im not implying that ne1 is cheating just saying that ppl could easily in theory)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

We are hoping that people aren't idiotic enough to spoil the fun. It is just for fun after all.

• Advertisement

;)
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    We are hoping that people aren't idiotic enough to spoil the fun. It is just for fun after all.

Ah ya beat me too it.

Exactly hercule, I mean if there was some sort of physical prize available people may be tempted to cheat, but when its only a title people people will more than likely play fairly for fun.

Besides we all know everyone on boards are very truthful people who have never told a lie in their lives

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

ok just testin the water - i would rather dig out the megadrive and give it a go on that neways (if it still works)

Hercule wrote:
    ok just testin the water - i would rather dig out the megadrive and give it a go on that neways (if it still works)

To be honest i'd rather do that myself, unfortunately my mega drive is gone and i havent gotten around to picking one up anywhere :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My megadrive controllers are broken :(

I'll give this a go when I get back. Used to be able to fly through those two stages.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    My megadrive controllers are broken :(

I'll give this a go when I get back. Used to be able to fly through those two stages.

You cant fly that'd be using cheats :eek:

Youll just have to play it normally like the rest of us ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I always knew that retrogamer guy was a cheater. :rolleyes:

up, down, left, right, hold down A and press Start. Hold on that was for Sonic 1 :confused:

Hercule wrote:
    Erm, isnt using an emulator kinda defunct? - I mean to get the best score all you would have to do is press the "save state" key regurlarly[...]
    Yeah, or just use a mem hack tool to freeze your time at whatever you want.
    Or google for screenshots of someone else doing it fast and pass it off as your own. :D
    It's only a bit of fun anyway, you'd want to be a bit sad to cheat for this tbh.
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    up, down, left, right, hold down A and press Start. Hold on that was for Sonic 1
    Yeah Sonic 2 opens the ring cheat in the options when you play sounds in a certin sequence... 19 45 9 17 or something like that... I think it was a date connected with the release.

Just did these times:

Act 1: 26sec
    Act 2: 54sec

Edit: Total time: 1:20

Sorry for the dodgy screenies. silly emulator took a screenie of the menues as well.

26secs for Act 1 is unbeatable in my opinion. I did think I was about to do a 25sec run but got so excited that I hit the spring after the final corkscrew :rolleyes:

I'm sure 54sec is beatable. Made an arse of the boss a bit but recovered extremely well.

Both times on the same run.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    26secs for Act 1 is unbeatable in my opinion. I did think I was about to do a 25sec run but got so excited that I hit the spring after the final corkscrew :rolleyes:
    Yeah I think the most I ever managed was 25 seconds, years ago... and that's from hitting the invincibility and fluking an extra bounce off one of those flying enemies.
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    I'm sure 54sec is beatable. Made an arse of the boss a bit but recovered extremely well.
    Yeah it's extremely variable when you get to robotnic innit?
    I think a lot of it depends on Tails getting some hits in aswell... it'd be horrible to nail Act2 with a wicked time, only to make a balls of the last fight because Tails didn't feel like landing.

I think I got him on the third pass in the middle but I'm pretty sure you can nail him on the third as he appears. I managed to get hit but thankfully tails laid a few digs in.

And for the record that 54 was extremely close to a 55.

At least the second act is easier than the first. The first all depends on passing through the scenery after the two loop-the-loops or making an arse of it and hitting a spring.

I'm just waiting for Balfa to come on and destroy our times completely :D
    There's many a second to be shaved off Act2, so many that you probably wouldn't even need to 26 act 1. :eek:

I'm just waiting for Balfa to come on and destroy our times completely :D

I'm not. I want to wallow in my glory for the next few hours.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I'm not. I want to wallow in my glory for the next few hours.
    Ah yes, all 1 second of it! :D
    Are you allowed to sumbit multiple times or do I just have to sit here and take this?

You can try and better me. And fail at it. For I am Retr0gamer, the undefeated, god of videogames and all round uber being. I'm not trying to blow my own whistle or anything.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I'm not trying to blow my own whistle or anything.
    Be carefull not to injure your back. :p

Be carefull not to injure your back. :p

Obviously I'm not a god at choosing the right words for the right situation. Oh innuendo, what a double edged blade you can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Got act 2 done in 52 seconds last night.

That's 26 seconds to Robotnic and another 26 to defeat him. I dispatched him in 3 passes. That's 2 hits, 3 hits and 3, without Tails getting a hit in. If you could do it in two you'd shave around 4 seconds off your time I reckon.

Mind you, there's more time to be saved in actually getting to him. I hit a few pauses on the way which I reckon could be eliminated, saving another four seconds.

Unfortunately I suck at Act 1 with 32 seconds being my best time. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

ha, i'm not likely to beat any times here. i never owned a megadrive and didn't play any of the sonic games all that much. To be honest, I don't even like sonic games that much. I might put out a time just to join in the fun, but it'll be terribly bad :)

Well it looks like Retr0gamer is the boards Sonic The Hedgehog 2 champion (1 min 20 sec), with DonkeyStyle missing out on it by a single second.

Congrats Retr0gamer, and serious hard luck there DonkeyStyle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

c - 13 wrote:
    with DonkeyStyle missing out on it by a single second.

hard luck there DonkeyStyle. :D
    lol :rolleyes: ;)
    mp3guy wrote:
    Horrible emu btw... use gens instead.
    Well it was either dgen or kgen98! :eek:

Advertisement