Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Pub In Drogheda

• 04-08-2005 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

I Drank In a Pub Called The Stags Head In Drogheda last night. It was Horrible, Horibble pints, Horibble decor, Horrible Ugly Inbred People. What a creul and Unusual place. Where is the Worst watering hole in Louth. I was in Winters aswell out near the bridgeford what a sh1thole. Must be where all the inbred knackers and theving cnuts from moneymore go.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

where is The Stags Head? Never heard of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭shacko

Its up near the Lourdes hospital accross from the Irish speaking school. It could be called the nags head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

shacko wrote:
    It was Horrible, Horibble pints, Horibble decor, Horrible Ugly Inbred People. What a creul and Unusual place.

That sounds like every pub in Drogheda

bopper wrote:
    That sounds like every pub in Drogheda

These looked even more inbred then most. They were robbing each other and the till blind. Anytime the bar man left they were straight in to the till, or pulling pints or robbing stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭eyebrows

shacko wrote:
    These looked even more inbred then most. They were robbing each other and the till blind. Anytime the bar man left they were straight in to the till, or pulling pints or robbing stock.

Sound like a nice high quality establishment for a few drink at the week end. Gotta remember to avoid that place if I’m ever unfortunate enough to go out in Drogheda.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

worst pub in louth??would be enda muldoons in ardee :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yeah I was in that pub the Stag's Head. It was once too often. Many of the tables are not much better than school desks. Mind you, you do have some OK pubs in town. I'm not an expert in such matters but I do know that Foley's (on the Mell road) is normally ok albeit by Drogheda standards. But surely there are a couple of decent establishments in the whole town?

I have to take a trip down there on Friday can someone suggest a place, where iam not going to be knock over the head and have my Kidney stolen as i go to the Jacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

shacko wrote:
    I have to take a trip down there on Friday can someone suggest a place, where iam not going to be knock over the head and have my Kidney stolen as i go to the Jacks

Try "O Sheas" however it will be quite busy / loud! So if your looking for a quiet pint i dont recommend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

What's The Mariner in Drogheda like?

• Advertisement

Is O Sheas the ub on the main st. Thats Always full of 12 year old Girls. As for the Mariner. Last time i was there i got bet up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

shacko wrote:
    Is O Sheas the ub on the main st. Thats Always full of 12 year old Girls. As for the Mariner. Last time i was there i got bet up

O Sheas yes thats on the upper main st. A mixed age group, upstairs is quite young, whereas the ground floor seems a bit more mature! But overall proberly the best option in drogheda!! Whatever suits fits thats wot i say!!!

Cant comment on the mariner as i was never there! Reds is another option somewhat similar in style to O Sheas though

Someone was telling me about McPhails ANd McHughs what are they like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

I was out in drogheda a few times and thought it was great!

I went to o sheas (they are very strict on id so I don't know how they would let 12 year old in, WTF?) I think they are strict because the back of the pub backs onto the garda barracks.

I went to redz which was very nice. Cellers was nicely decorated also and has nice cocktails the crowd is very young though.

Bridie Macs was the other place I was in, it's in the hotel in the centre of the town. I found that nice aswell.

Maybe you could try some of those. Where u from urself?

Nickibaby* wrote:
    I was out in drogheda a few times and thought it was great!

I went to o sheas (they are very strict on id so I don't know how they would let 12 year old in, WTF?) I think they are strict because the back of the pub backs onto the garda barracks.

I went to redz which was very nice. Cellers was nicely decorated also and has nice cocktails the crowd is very young though.

Bridie Macs was the other place I was in, it's in the hotel in the centre of the town. I found that nice aswell.

Maybe you could try some of those. Where u from urself?

Cheers

I,am from Dublin. Just down visiting some friends. Thinking boutbuying some property in the area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Originally posted by shacko
    As for the Mariner. Last time i was there i got bet up

Just wondering because my ex works there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 calam

o'sheas -dump for 15 yr old knackers on the weekends. **** loud music. During the week its bearable.

McPhail - loud poser pub. Alright beer garden. Good bands. Depends on a lot of circumstances to be good (sunny, empty)

The Mariner - not bad, older crowd, nice decor.

McHughes - ok. only front bar is open at the mo'.

solas - nice pub when you have a seat, crap pints but nice erdinger or anything else in a bottle. Great bands and comedians.

The black bull - bit far out from town but nice. This weekend is their celebrating the 1st anniversary of their beer garden which is lovely. Good trad-ish band on tonight "Harafish" free entry!

Gleesons - cheapest Guinness in drogheda €3.30 last time. huge beer garden. Good music. odd but nice crowd. unofficial late bar to the right sort...

cairbre's - best pub in drogheda, maybe even the world. Not sure if anythings goin on there tonight but on sunday night, tuesday and wednesday night there's singin and music. Traditional pub. brilliant craic if you're up for it.

Fusions alright nightclub-wise. Anywhere else is a cattle-mart but whatever floats yer boat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

Where abouts is cairbre's? Never heard of it, might check it out next time i'm up that direction.

Was never in fusion but the people I went out with said that is was a dirty place. I dunno if that's true or false.

I was at that other nightclub 'earth' thought is was great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 calam

just ask someone in mchughes or sarsfields where cairbre's is if you're up that way. Its along the quays-ish.
    Fusion is a dirty place but its more fun than the other places because it has a big beer garden where you can chat with other people rather than roar the heads off them inside!
    earths a cattle-mart!!!arf arf ....but can be good of a thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

As for the Mariner. Last time i was there i got bet up

Wow. :eek: That's pretty much my local. Never seen any trouble in there in years. Nice pub for a quick drink on a Saturday night before heading into the town. Gets a good crowd in for the football matches. Friendly bar staff etc.

Cairbre's is a traditional Irish pub with some good sessions. They used to have an Irish speaking night as far as I can remember which was good craic.

Redz. Not too bad especially if your a smoker as they took the roof off for us. :p

The Star and Crescent is a late nite bar that's not bad if your looking for a bit of music and late drink.

The Railway Bar. Up from the train station doesn't close ever! :eek:

Bensons Lounge Bar used to be a dive but I'd never go in so can't comment.

Black Bull Inn. Drink is muck and service is poor IMO.

Bridie Mac's recently got a face lift. Ok pub. Live music at the weekend. Not there in a while.

Bridgeford Leisure Centre. Kip.

Clarkes Pub. Nice if you can get a snug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Mariner: Bit quiet at times and can be hit or miss because of this. Nice spot all the same. Great for the footie. Surprsed at the mention of trouble in this pub someone said earlier. Reckon it was a once off as I'd say this is one of the safest pubs in town.

Redz: Its the spot for smokers with the 'topless bar'. Downstairs doesn't attract the crowd that it used to but this is only due to.....

Baracuda(formely Bridie Macs): The place in town at the moment. Well worth checking out. Smokers not too well catered for though. Form may be temporary...

Star and Crescent: Great spot to finish the night for a late drink. Unfortunatly everyone seems to have the same idea and it can get over crowded due to this. Good all the same....

McPhails: Hate the place with avengence. I can't understand its attraction...

Teach Cairbre: Like being back in School. Speaking English is frowned upon.

Storm: Catlemarket.

Earth: Cattle market for young people.

The Laurences: Good for pool but some of the clientel cann be a a bit dodgy.

Trinity Arms: Again another good spot for pool. Never really know what age group this pub is aimed though.

Sarsfields: Early house. Nice beer garden but a pity about the people who go there.

McHughs: Nothing memorable about the place. Renovating a beer garden at the back at the moment so when this is finished it might be worth going to.

Black Bull: Bit out of town. Bottles recommended as the pints can be dodgy.

O'Sheas: For the kids only. I reckon they have an upper age limit.

Think that is most of the covered. Anything not mentioned probably wasn't worth mentioning....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭ccd

Have to say i hated the marier when I Lived in Drogheda. Especially the Ginger bar maid that used to work there about two years ago. She was like a Viris when I drank in Reds she worked there, Wheni stated to drink in O Sheas she started working there and when i started to drink in the Mariner she started drinking there. Bloody Gingers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Solas is pretty good. Usually end up in there any time I'm out in Drogheda. It used to be the (Sc)Abbey Tavern which was the underage drinking capital of Drogheda when I was in school there. Big improvement since it's been Solas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭ccd

I would like to revise my post. The worst pub in the srea has to be the Trinity Arms. The place smells. The bouncers are smokies. The pints are p1ss. Truely a hive of scum and villany the likes of which never seen before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Cute_Mandy

The stages head is at the back of Dolans at the top of Harmons Gardens,
    that place should be shut down long ago all the pints in there are uffff...

Most Pubs in Drogheda are bad anyway so you will get that all over Drogheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Yea most pubs in Drogheda arent really the best. I like the Black Bull on the Dublin Road and Barocco in the Westcourt.

@ CCD - i have to say i like the Trinity Arms, ive been going there years. Ok the crowd can be a bit "chavvish" but there is never any trouble or fights (ive yet to see one and im drinking there near 10 years!) I find everyone very friendly there both customers and staff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

worst pub in louth??would be enda muldoons in ardee :p

It's not really. The guinness is great there and the craic's good too.

What are you lookin for good craic or a nice clean pub full of sh!theads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

My favourite Drogheda pubs are
    McPhails - nice people and a nice pub
    The Laurences - lovely food and downstairs is nice, free platters on a friday night

Solas - chilled out pub, good comedy night there too

I hate Fusion with a f*cking passion. What an absolute DIVE of a place. The owner apparently gives back-handers to the fire officer in Drogheda so he can let in way more people that he's allowed to. ANy time i've gone there it is impossible to go anywhere other than out to the beer garden, and it can sometimes take 5 mins to get out there, down a 10 foot corridor - because the toilets are on either side.

Totally illegal in terms of health and safety.

Also they play the same music every week and the CD player skips all the time. What a dump!

Star and crescent nightclub is much nicer although still not fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Agree with ya there about Fusion! I near got a panic attack in that corridor during the summer!! Its not right!
    I hate the inside of it - just looks like a big shed!

I forgot to mention the Laurences - great spot - food is gorgeous! Cellers great for the cocktails :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Stevee

:eek:

I lived in Drogheda all my life, and drank in all 47 Bars in the town. Including ollie's, The well and the morning Star I have only ever exsperianced trouble in two bars The Cellers\Lawrences and The Trinity. They are Chavetastic and Know NOGO areas in the town. Recently had a tour of the new and improved McHughs and it is gonna be one hell of a spot

Advertisement