Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

0-60 part 2

Options
  • 04-08-2005 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

0-60 on 15 secs from 22 secs

I took your tips and went for it.

There's still a bit more juice left in her to bring the time down.

I still find it hard to believe that this type of driving is the way in which Opel measure the 0-60 on theire new cars.

Anyway big improvement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Another point to note is, when you hit 60Mph, you are actually doing ~57Mph.

Your speed reads a bit faster than the car is actually travelling. So you need to go to about 63Mph...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

To get the maximum you need to know your engine, you need to be able to spot the point above which the power from the engine feels like it drops.. just at or before this point you need to change up. Also at takeoff you want to be just below the revs that cause the wheels to spin, this will vary with road and tyre conditions. Once you do this take off, you basically change gears at the optimum times and you should either match the time or beat it (it's possible!). Having said that it's also possible that opel have exaggerated their time a tad, or if your motor isn't in the best nick, it just might be past matching the time.. good luck trying..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Yeah it was 65mph @ 16.15 secs so i am taking it as 15secs approx.

But i had to horse the car sure that type of driving would not be health for the car.

Its not a new car, it has 71k on the clock my next goal is to get her to 100k
    After that 150K and after that till to stops running.

I live in Monaghan and i have to go to Baggot St in Dublin 3 evenings a week and a Saturday for Prof. Accounting Clases so i reckon ill hit 100k by Christmas.

Here's to happy motoring.

Hey Prospect, did you go to the monthly meet last nite.

Thanks css

basicly thats what i done what you said. Turns out that she ll go to 5000rpm ok. I could believe actually when i saw the speedo fly up to 60 i have never seen go up that quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

kluivert wrote:
    Hey Prospect, did you go to the monthly meet last nite.

Nope, I play soccer on wednesday nights, so the monthly meets are never good for me, unfortunately.
    Were you there yourself?

• Advertisement

The engine will go right up to the redline safely enough, however doing so when the engine is cold is not a good idea. The key is spotting the point where you feel the power delivery level off or even drop, that's the point you wanna change gear at.. This is totally car dependant, in some cars you can rev right past the redline with no drop... ;)

No i dont no where strawberry hill is and funny enough i was playing soccer last nite as well. Do u think there ll be pics on d site of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Getting back on topic ... the advertised 0-60mph (or more accurately 0-100km/h) times are really for comparison purposes only. Nobody except for a test driver on a dry straight track will realistically be able to duplicate these, although you may be able to come close if you really, really try hard. The manufacturers will try every trick in the book, doing repeated trials, changing up at different revs until they get the best result they can, and that's what they publish.

In any case, in day to day driving, 0-100km/h times are pretty meaningless. What are much more interesting are intermediate timings like 60-100km/h which come into play when overtaking the ever increasing numbers of the"40mph everywhere" brigade (otherwise known as the "I don't know what the speed limit is, so I'll drive at 40mph just in case" club) on wide open N roads :).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Alun wrote:
    the advertised 0-60mph (or more accurately 0-100km/h) times are really for comparison purposes only. Nobody except for a test driver on a dry straight track will realistically be able to duplicate these, although you may be able to come close if you really, really try hard

Exactly. The professional driver has the data upfront about when to shift up. If you can't match the specified time to do 0-100km/h, you gotta blame the driver, not the car ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

slow down you lunatics !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Yeah, speed causes accidents!

although, as Clarkson said, it's actually suddenly becoming stationary that causes the problems!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

blastman wrote:
    although, as Clarkson said, it's actually suddenly becoming stationary that causes the problems!)
    What a clever and witty man he is, being able to paraphrase Douglas Adams like that.

Who said anything about speed here. Your starting to make assumptions now

The speed limit was 100kph so in doing 0-60 i wasnt speeding.

Now there ya go.

Anyway driving on the wrong side of the road also kills especially when you hit person coming towards you but hey seemingly everone does it now. Why? Stay on your own side of road.

528i wrote:
    slow down you lunatics !

why? speed's great.. :p it keeps you up all night i tell ya.. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

kluivert wrote:
    Who said anything about speed here. Your starting to make assumptions now

The speed limit was 100kph so in doing 0-60 i wasnt speeding.

Now there ya go.
    I think you missed the invisible smiley :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

528i wrote:
    slow down you lunatics !
    would somebody please think of the children :D

I think i did miss the simley sorry.

Have any one here tried a 0-60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

reading this thread started me to think, thought i'd give it a go. was very surprised, i wasnt timing it or anything but id day about 13 secs from 0-60mph. was at the m50\n4 roundabout heading outbound on the n4 at the traffic lights just before the m50 northbound turnoff(if that makes sense) 1.8 toledo. didnt rev too hard ~4000 redlines at 6. the engine was warm and there was no wheelspin. also there was no traffic infront of me nor did i break the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

reading this thread started me to think, thought i'd give it a go. was very surprised, i wasnt timing it or anything but id day about 13 secs from 0-60mph

thats actually fairly slow, official record shows the car can geto 60mph in 10.5

BHP 125.0
    Torque (lbs feet) 125.0
    RPM to which the Torque refers 4200
    Maximum Speed 124
    Acceleration (0-60) 10.5

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

Ive tried it a few times in the skyline with the G Tech but I still havent mastered the launch and its bogging down a lot

• Advertisement

ando wrote:
    thats actually fairly slow, official record shows the car can geto 60mph in 10.5

still wasnt bad for a first try, i'd love to get it to a track or speedway where i caould try properly with proper timing

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

i wasnt timing it or anything but id day about 13 secs from 0-60mph

If you weren't timing it, and if you're pretty damn good at estimating time, I'd say your result would be +/- 10% accurate, thus between 11.5 and 14.5 seconds, based on an inaccurate speedo display which would further throw these limits apart into the realm of meaninglessness

Get a mate who owns a stopwatch and a GPS to co-pilot, preferably on a track, not the public road :)

unkel wrote:
    If you weren't timing it, and if you're pretty damn good at estimating time, I'd say your result would be +/- 10% accurate, thus between 11.5 and 14.5 seconds, based on an inaccurate speedo display which would further throw these limits apart into the realm of meaninglessness

Get a mate who owns a stopwatch and a GPS to co-pilot, preferably on a track, not the public road :)

i got the time from the time counter on the cd player! saw where it was to start and when i hit sixty, took one from the other to get the time!

as for the public road.....well we all have to accelerate to get up to speed!!

Advertisement