Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Liability

Options
  • 04-08-2005 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,
    I would be intersted to find out peoples opinions on who is the cheapest for public liability insurance for a self build. Saying that I obviously don't want insurance that doesn't cover us properly. I only have one quote so far of €3060 which includes 13 million employers l, 2 and a half public l, ten thousand risk cover for the house, 6 and a half fire brigade charges and legal expenses. I really didn't think that our insurance would be as steep. Any suggestions would be appreciated as always.
    Eve :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tirl

Try Brittons 1890 332200, they are in Killybegs. didn't get them for house build but got other public liability and they were way lower than anyone else

T

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Eve

We have the public liability insurance from FBD, cost us about 350 euro I think, it only covers third party entering the site, I have ensured that all my tradesmen have their own insurance before they start on site, of course myself and my dad are not covered which is chancy but we are responsible enough not to put ourselves in a situtation which might see us in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Hi Eve,

I got a similar policy as the one you were quoted for. The reason being it covers me for almost every eventuality, and as Im going the direct labour route and using a lot of favours, friends etc I wouldn't be able to ensure that every one who came on site had their own insurance . If the house were to fall down the day before we were to move in it would cover it to be totally rebuilt by a contractor, The amount of cover you get with these polices is great. The only people who are not covered are the people named on the policy, in my case that's myself and the missus.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eve1

Thanks everyone, I think I might just go the public liability route and ensure every one has insurance. Does anyone know if it is possible to get insurance for one off jobs, say if my roofer doesn't have insurance etc?
    Eve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Eve,

Yes it is possible to get one off cover for each trade or person who works on your project whether they are being paid or not.

The problem you will find is if you "cherry pick" the trades you want covered individually, especially the high risk trades like roofers and first fix carpenters the insurance company will charge you a very high premium.

The figure you have been quoted is not over the top because it will cover all site visitors even the uninvited ones.

The way it used to work was the insurance company would charge you for the highest risk at the outset, that way as the work progressed their risk diminished.

Personally if I were in your position I would look on that figure as an investment to protect your asset which hopefully will have increased in value at the end of each working day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement