Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Sign Phil Neville

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

A great servant for Man Utd, he won't be missed in the squad sense, but him not being in a United shirt will be very unusual.
    If people remember him from 3 years ago when he was getting regular action, he was a utility man who when playing in any position across the back 6, he did a great job for us. CL final being a great example.

Quality buy for Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well he'll fit in there, with Moye's so called 'dogs of war' but I can't see him offering them anything different to some of the other cloggers there. It smacks a bit of desperation to me, as Everton have been unable to land their main targets this summer. They've paid well over the odds for him too at £3.5million. Bizarre that they're willing to pay that for Neville but baulk at £6.5million for Baros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

Good buy for Everton will be a good asset for them and he can play in several positions. I think £3.5million is a good price for him for everyone involved and dont see how you think otherwise super_furry??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

Well he'll fit in there, with Moye's so called 'dogs of war' but I can't see him offering them anything different to some of the other cloggers there. It smacks a bit of desperation to me, as Everton have been unable to land their main targets this summer. They've paid well over the odds for him too at £3.5million. Bizarre that they're willing to pay that for Neville but baulk at £6.5million for Baros.

Agree 100%. Moyes has money from the Rooney and Graveson sales but 'big' players seem unwilling to go to Everton. They had the same problem last summer iirc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great signing, loads of experience, will have to help them in Europe, but as said not the big player that the needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Nice one, just have to get rid of kleberson, fortune and bellion now and we can be back in business....hopefully this will add to fergies kitty for buying that expierence/ fresh legs in midfield

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I have to agree with super_furry that I think £3.5m is a bit excessive for a player who was very much out of favour at Man U and rarely featured as of late. Neville is a dependable player and he does a job for you but he is nothing special. However because of his versatility I think he will be a very good signing for Everton and will offer them cover in many positions. I still think a few in the region of £2.5m would have been better for Neville

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

I think that thats why they paid £3.5 because of his versatility, but i must concede that when i read the title that he had gone i thought it would be in the region of £2-2.5 million, but if Everton were willing to pay it then United would only be too happy to accept it and add to their kitty. He is a good player, will bring experience to Everton but as ye say he's not a big name signing but in all honesty i dont think Everton can attract the big names like Michael Owen etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

the thing about the fee though is that didnt he recently sign a long term deal with Utd? if he only had 2 years left on a contract then i would have said 2-2.5 mill.

but the fact he was on like a 4 to 5 year deal would suggest in todays market that everton had to pay the extra million.

If we could just sign a left midfielder and a quality striker i think we will do ok this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I think he is worth more to united than 2 mill, and i dont think everton could let another target slip away, they need players with CL expierence too....Like Kleberson united paid 6 for him they wont let him go for less than 3/3.5 id imagine, whether he is worth it or not tis another question....role on souness for fortune....if only he wasnt injured!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Disappointed to see him go a very good servant for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

the only thing to surprise me about this is that phil neville is the first to go, i would much rather have seen fortune, kleberson or bellion go. as im typing i realise i may be wrong on kleberson because i have just lost track of that saga.

imo he is a very good player. a solid full back who i would like to see do a good job at everton. i remember when nicky butt left i thought it was going to be a whole new beginning for him as i really rated him but he was very dissppointing.

so best of luck to phil, he was a great servant to the club and its always sad to see homegrown players like that leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I thought he was an underrated player for United and I have to accept they sold him.

As PHB said he is a quality buy for Everton. Steve Watson's replacemet imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

andyman wrote:
    I thought he was an underrated player for United and I have to accept they sold him.

As PHB said he is a quality buy for Everton. Steve Watson's replacemet imo.

I'd say he's more a replacement to the injury plagued Carsley, who was never going to match the season he had last season anyway. But P.N. is versatile as well, a decent buy though 3.5mil seems a little high.

I just worry this cements Moyes intention to maintain the seriously faltering 4-5-1 formation he adored last season, it worked while Bent was on his game, but Beattie can't hack it... I want to see us sign another good striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Personally I dont think £3.5M is particularly high for a 28 year old player of proven calibre who had a contract with four years to run.

Its good business for all involved.

Everton will get at least four years out of Neville, less than £900k a season minimum. I cant imagine him being on extortionate wages. He is extremely versitile and plays in positions where Everton are probably lacking a bit of quality. He will get to play a lot of games and put his hat in the ring for the WC. He is very experienced, particularly in Europe, good for Everton, good for the younger players, good for Neville. Sure it wasnt too long ago that some United fans were even touting him as an interim replacement for Keane.

United on the other hand have offloaded a player that probably wont play much this year, yet alone to his contract expiration in 2009. He would have been a useful squad player, but now AF has room and money to bring in someone else, or let a younger player make a move up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

from a man united fan, i would like to say that phizza was a great servant for the club and i wish him all the best*

*commencing from everton's second game of the season

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He was as all United fans have said so far, a great servant to the club. Loved watching him getting stuck into the Arsenal midfield year after year. Hopefully he'll do the same for Everton. But I am happy to see £3.5 mill into the transfer kitty and £50000 off the wage bill. Maybe we can go out and buy another midfielder with the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

When you remember how Phil keep Viera out of the game against Arsenal a couple of seasons ago you see just what a valuable player Everton have gotten. And the fact that he is so versatile will also be a big bonus after their problems signing big players.
    He could just turn out to be a bargin buy for them. Phil my son, you were great for United, never complained and always worked hard played with your heart on your sleve and depiste the abuse from fans of other clubs you have to remember the guy has more medals than most players and is only 28.
    Best of luck Phil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I'm actually very happy with the signing of Phil Neville. He can cover Left-back where we only have Pistone and a currently injured Naysmith, both of whom are not the ideal players to have in the first 11.

He can cover a lot of positions in midfield. I see him mainly playing behind the midfielders covering defense in the Carsley role if they play a 4-5-1 formation, which I hope they get out of using.

I think the inflated price was due to his contract situation, i.e. he had 4 years left i think on his man utd contract.

There are whispers of Freddy Kanoute arriving as well before midnight.... Fingers crossed... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

He is going to play the Lee Carsley, role, Moyes said today in an interview that he sees Neville's best position as a holding midfielder.
    Also, with Everton's squad not being the biggest in the Premiership, it's good to have a versatile player like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

10 years . :D
    10 years I have been waiting for this day .
    Thank you God for this day.
    I will no longer have to see the excuse for a professional footballer Philip Neville wear a Man Utd shirt.
    One down ,one to go.
    I never thought I'd see the day.

How can you call him an excuse of a footballer. I learned everything I need to know about being a RB from the Neville brothers. Especially Phil the way he gave it his all every time he played for the club.

Everytime I watched him and Gary play, I noted everything they were doing and used it to my advantage.

Now, I had a No.2 shirt in the Kilkenny Kennedy Cup team, a trial for Birmingham and the next best RB according to everyone I know.

I think the Neville brothers have done the unglamourous graft which helped Utd. to the massive success, Phil (i'm informed) played 360 matches for Utd during which they won an awful lot of crap... but he realised the error of his manc ways and he's a blue now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

great signing for everton he's a uality player who may just have been burning out at utd..this should give him afrsh lease of life

Another good thing about Phil, he never gave up. He would always fight for his place no matter how many players played in his position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It'll be weird to see him in another shirt. I remember for the last couple of seasons against Arsenal (the last two games at Old Trafford) he man-marked Henry off the pitch.

Have Everton managed to secure him before the CL qualifier deadline? Otherwise you know who his debut is against :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Also from a Man Utd point of view, Phil Neville when he plays to his peak can win a game for you, and since he knows its gona be a close title race, I figure he'll up his game against Arsenal and Chelsea to give us a helping hand :)

Ah yes, the loyalty will last until the end.

Have Everton managed to secure him before the CL qualifier deadline? Otherwise you know who his debut is against :)

we got him in time, the DL was 11pm last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Allef**kingulia! the Neville sisters have finally been broken up. One down, one to go.

I suppose you think you can do a better job.

Advertisement