Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artifical gravity in space station.

Options
  • 04-08-2005 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Remember the spinning module in 2010 on the soviet ship? (the donut part)

If you had a space station in that config does anyone have a calculation to work out how many revolutions per minute (for a given diameter) you'd have to be doing to create earth-like gravity in the 'donut'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

From http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3u.html...

"How fast will the ship have to spin in order to provide acceptable gravity?

Ca = 0.011 * Cr2 * Cl

Cl = Ca / (0.011 * Cr2)

Cr = sqrt( Ca / (0.011 * Cl))

where
    Ca = centrifugal artificial gravity acceleration at point X (m/s2)
    Cl = distance from point X to the center of rotation (m)
    Cr = rotation rate at point X (rotations per minute)
    Remember that 1.0 g is 9.81 m/s
    Notice that as point X is moved further from the center of rotation the artificial gravity increases."

Can I ask what it's for? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Dunners wrote:
    Can I ask what it's for? :)

Trying to work out how big to make my space station ;)

Naa I was just curious really, thanks for the link it's exactly what I was trying to find. Some very interesting variations on the theme to create artifical gravity there that I'd never seen before.

Wonder would it do your head in to be looking out at the earth spinning under you at 2 or 3 rpm? :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bluehair wrote:
    Trying to work out how big to make my space station ;)
    www.space-frontier.org/HighFrontier/
    back in the mid 70's they reckoned that with the materials available then you could make rotating space stations up to a mile accross
    the book should be in your local library - well worth a read even now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

www.space-frontier.org/HighFrontier/
    back in the mid 70's they reckoned that with the materials available then you could make rotating space stations up to a mile accross
    the book should be in your local library - well worth a read even now

Thanks for that it looks interesting. Must try and find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Turdle

Remember some guy's discovered a few years ago that superconducting materials could display a small gravity shielding effect. I wonder if this phenomenon could be used to create some kind of lens or refracting array to create a concentration of gravity in an orbital station. The 'gravity lens' could conceivably be based on Earth. Any thoughts from you physics heads out there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement